Brainwavz R1 Review
Oct 22, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #286 of 794
Before you guys rip each others heads off, Joker describes a balanced sound as having a slight v or u shape. Neutral and balanced dont mean the same thing. Neutral means flat, balanced does not really mean flat. People described the CKM500 as balanced as well and it also had a slight v or u shape to it.

I've already finished that so called conversation, lol, he just doesn't seem to get it :rolleyes:
Anyway, I can say that I haven't felt or heard driver flex since using the bi flange tips, but I've read on here numerous times that the shape of ones ears has a lot to do with that. Something that molds to your ears, like foam, might work better in this instance. And I have been using Jokers definitions from the get go, btw, the man seems to know what he's talking about. Many thanks to him if he's reading this :)

Sent from my U23GT using Tapatalk 2

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #287 of 794
One other thing, I don't and never will write reviews for a company that offers to pay me to do so.... that's ridiculous! I own businesses and don't need the cash..... I have done over 2000 reviews, mostly tech based, simply because I love to do it. I'm not a kid, I have been at this since the early days of computing. I'm new to headphone reviews and learn more and more about it with each one I do. Practice makes perfect, as the saying goes, and I will hope to add more here as time goes by.

Sent from my U23GT using Tapatalk 2

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #288 of 794
Been around way longer than you... look at my registered date. I know my IEM's very well...  You're just a false hype creator. Aka a troll.

You probably got these for free in return to write a review here with favoritism. How did you get it before everyone else? First batch were shipped out on last Friday

These R1's, they are so aggressive it's hurts my ears.. I would get Brainwavz M1 or M5's over these any day, for the same retail price.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #289 of 794
Been around way longer than you... look at my registered date. I know my IEM's very well...  You're just a false hype creator. Aka a troll.

You probably got these for free in return to write a review here with favoritism. How did you get it before everyone else? First batch were shipped out on last Friday

These R1's, they are so aggressive it's hurts my ears.. I would get Brainwavz M1 or M5's over these any day, for the same retail price.

Okay, you earned this and then some. I've reported you. Enough with the personal attacks, go troll elsewhere.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #291 of 794
Both of you stop it. Opinion is opinion, but don't be offending ones opinion because they do not match yours. I personally do not find my R1s enjoyable, in fact, I have to agree with lifebot, they are bassy, recessed, and I personally find them a bit distorting when using the comply tips. They are also a bit sibilant. The silicone tips work nicer, but they are not that much greater. Compared to my S2m which are considered poor headphones even for $30, I find the S2m's and the R1's to hold just about the same clarity and quality, with the R1s sounding more wide, yet more distant and recessed for rock music.

At the same time, they only cost $35, and I do not own many headphones in this area (or many headphones in general) so I may not know the expectations of a pair of headphones at that price, but I did expect it to be much better than the Image S4i's seeing that reviews say that the E30s perform just about the same, if not better than the S4's. I personally do not like them, but the Monoprice 8323s to me also sound like garbage, regardless of it's $20 price tag.

I personally purchased the R1s mainly due to your review dragon2knight. I'm not going to call you a liar, but I personally cannot categorize the R1's into balanced headphones. The bass is really strong; I actually thought that Monster bought Brainwavz and renamed the Beats by Dr. Dre Tours into Brainwavz R1. I am kind of disappointed in them, but many others find them great so unless I am expecting much too much from a pair of $35 IEMs, I am not going to approve of them. Perhaps it's my expectations, perhaps they weren't burned in properly, perhaps mines came with a different or defective driver, I have no idea. Once again, opinion is opinion, but it doesn't beat the S4's from when I listened to it. I'm receiving my B2's in a week from now, hopefully those will sound much much better, at the same time, I might check the M5's since they seem to perform really well for it's price from reviews.

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #292 of 794
Okay, I've had enough here. I have a life and don't need to be insulted by the likes of this dump of a forum. You folks have some serious unresolved issues best left to psychological means.... I'm outta here. Later.

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #293 of 794
Quote:
I might check the M5's since they seem to perform really well for it's price from reviews.

Well don't get your hopes up...remember, reviews are all wrong. :wink:

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the R1s so I ordered some M5s too.  We'll see how those go.

The M3s are probably my favorite Brainwavz branded headphone...other than that, I haven't really liked any of their other products.  B2, HM3 (on ear), Betas and M2s.  I guess I need to just stop buying them if the M5s aren't my cup of tea.  It looks like Amazon finally has the M3s back in stock (via MP4Nation) so I may just have to go back to to the trusty M3s...I just wish they had a chin slider!

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #294 of 794
Someone requested for pictures, here they are. Please excuse the quality, taken with my phone. Edited:

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #296 of 794
Oct 23, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #297 of 794
Hi everyone - new member here. Decided to make an account to post my thoughts thus far with a 12 hour burn-in. Ordered my pair on the 11th and have followed this thread since its inception. First of all, these are my first pair of IEM from Brainwavs. I am coming from Senn CX-55 which I Bass-EQ'd heavily to get the sound I liked. I lost sound on the right bud and I was without earphones for a long time. I discovered mp4nation during my quest to find an affordable replacement. After reading up on the M series, I decided to wait for the M2 to go on sale - supposedly the strength of these were bass and that's what I was looking for. Fast-forward to October, the M2s have yet to go on sale and mp4nation released a new model - the R1. My interest baited by the price and dual driver design. I decided to wait on a review, knowing some people got their hands on it before bulk-release. I was pleased to read - based on d2knight's review - that they were described as a more mature version of the M2 - I ordered.

Now, my perception of how they sound (100% objective on my end):

I'm a noob when it comes to audio lingo, understanding terms and being able to properly convey what I want to describe but I will do my best.
I noticed right off the bat that my music felt suppressed, though I could not put my finger on exactly what. I shuffled through a variety of genres and eras of music and came to a consensus in it's infancy:

1) vocals and melodies sound stuffed at their apex / or volume limited - like hearing music from the room next door.

2) I hear instruments and sounds that I never heard before on any IEM/Can/Speaker (attributed by the U sound-sig perhaps? or testament to quality?).

3) Bass is cleaner and less enveloping than my EQ'd CX-55.

I learned a lot in the passing day - listening and reading opinions in this thread. dbdynasty brought up driver flex, a term I've seen before but finally read up on it's meaning. I can say that I've experienced it on both sides while using the foam tips.

What I can say so far is that the R1 has a separated bass that compromises mid-melodies and vocals for many tracks. It's not necessarily a bad thing, melodies and vocals EXIST, the design simply gives more room for a cleaner sounding bass and  the apex of melodies/vocals don't hang in the air as obvious as other IEM/CAN/Speakers. Not all songs are affected though, specifically instrumental/bass aggressive tracks where nuances do not contribute to the heart of the track. Though I'm pleasantly surprised to hear supporting instruments/sounds in many of my songs that are totally new to me.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #298 of 794
Quote:
you are right, burn in only makes small changes, but they are still audible. also, burn in can't make anything sound "worse", because it just improves the mechanical abilities of the driver and I don't see how a constricted in movement driver would sound better than burnt in, more "free" driver... if that makes any sense though :)

as for amping - I don't think those will need any. sensitivity and impedance are quite good to be driven directly from any source and amplifing  won't make any difference, if of course the amplifier is neutral and only does that - amplify the signal...

I think it's a bold statement to say that. First of all, how do you know it's always audible? I've had drivers that didn't change a bit that I could discern. There are hundreds of other reports of this. I don't question that a driver gets more flexible with time, I just don't think this is audible in most cases, let alone all.

Second, there's no correlation between a driver being 'free' and sounding good. In fact, the less constricted a driver is the more it will move, and the more distortion will be created (Axel Grell, the engineer behind Sennheiser's HD800, said this was something he had to overcome when creating them). Just because 'free' sounds like a better word to us than 'constricted' to us doesn't mean the sound will be more appealing.

Even if you can hear differences, how do they go in polar directions (some people report more bass, others less bass/tighter, other more present mids...) it's always something different. And somehow it always sounds better to you. If you enjoy detail they get more analytical, if you like bass they extend deeper. Anyway this is just food for thought, I have no intention of inauguring Head-Fi's 1,000,000th burn-in debate.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #299 of 794
Okay, I've had enough here. I have a life and don't need to be insulted by the likes of this dump of a forum. You folks have some serious unresolved issues best left to psychological means.... I'm outta here. Later.

Dude, why do you take this so seriosuly??

It's only a forum lmao

You're talking to people you're never gonna meet.

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #300 of 794
Quote:
Now, my perception of how they sound (100% objective on my end):

I'm a noob when it comes to audio lingo, understanding terms and being able to properly convey what I want to describe but I will do my best.
I noticed right off the bat that my music felt suppressed, though I could not put my finger on exactly what. I shuffled through a variety of genres and eras of music and came to a consensus in it's infancy:

1) vocals and melodies sound stuffed at their apex / or volume limited - like hearing music from the room next door.

2) I hear instruments and sounds that I never heard before on any IEM/Can/Speaker (attributed by the U sound-sig perhaps? or testament to quality?).

3) Bass is cleaner and less enveloping than my EQ'd CX-55. They sound more separated opposed to being the milk in my cereal. The cereal flakes being instruments and sounds (confusing? lol).

I learned a lot in the passing day - listening and reading opinions in this thread. dbdynasty brought up driver flex, a term I've seen before but finally read up on it's meaning. I can say that I've experienced it on both sides while using the foam tips. Now for my break down of specific songs in relation to my old CX-55:

1) Come rain or come shine - Eric clapton & BB king: Main Guitar doesn't stay in the air. Each note starts clean at the guitar pick but feels stuffed at the apex. Supporting instruments are clear and sharp - many of which I didn't notice on CX-55. King's vocals on this track are not as broadcasting as Clapton's, in my mind he was sitting at stage right-front but behind a barrier that makes him sound stuffy. Clapton's vocals are prominently on the left side, but once again, I'm sitting front row and hes a few feet away from me, but he battles with an obstruction ("I'm with you always" comes out as "I'm with you alway")

2) In too deep - Kool G Rap: Main melody requires some selective hearing. Vocals sound magnified (almost distorted) at inception but are stuffy at apex. Words and syllables similar to the 'S' sound in "Snake" are very hissy.

3) Killin It - Krewella: For the most part this dubstep piece is satisfactory, but the vocals - although less stuffy than the preceding examples - feels like a step too far from the mic.

4) Thriller - Michael Jackson: The creaking door sequence was pleasantly rich and 3D like ( I assume it benefits from the U/V sound-sig). Michaels' vocals are naturally soft on this track to begin with, and even more so with the R1. Continuing with the trend, supporting instruments are much more apparent and clear.

What I can say so far is that the R1 has a separated bass that compromises mid-melodies and vocals for many tracks. It's not necessarily a bad thing, melodies and vocals EXIST, the design simply gives more room for a cleaner sounding bass and  the apex of melodies/vocals don't hang in the air as obvious as other IEM/CAN/Speakers. Not all songs are affected though, specifically instrumental/bass aggressive tracks where nuances do not contribute to the heart of the track. Though I'm pleasantly surprised to hear supporting instruments/sounds in many of my songs that are totally new to me. Please feel free to contradict my statements or add to them. I stand only behind myself and speak as objectively as possible. Sorry if I'm not thorough or not easy to undestand.

These are the exact things I'm struggling with which I posted previously in my comments. I have to really FOCUS to listen to the vocals which are coming from far on the sides and the instruments are all placed on the sides too. I mean I understand having a good soundstage with separation of instruments but what's the point if EVERYTHING feels like it's coming from a distance.

You're spot on with the bass. Something I like on the R1 compared to the PL30s I had previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back