Brainwavz HM9, Your thoughts?
Aug 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:
Looks a bit like Beats don't you think? 

Not really:

I'd always thought they looked more like the Sony V700 in pictures, with a mix of XB series. Speaking of the XB series, I was worried about comfort with the HM9 until I opened up the package and found that the pads are in the same style of the XB series. They're on ears for me, but after half an hour of using them, I don't feel any pain with the memory foam pads combined with the light clamp. It's a bit too soon for sound impressions though since I got them literally half an hour ago.

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #32 of 44
We're actually working on custom 3D cups for the HM5 that open up the sound a little, the overall bass quality is better with the semi open cups, more details here.

If you're referring to the 3D printed cups, I actually PM'd you about them when you posted about having some. I figured you probably get blown up with messages. The cups sound interesting though.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #33 of 44
An hour in, and I really wish there was more 3kHz. I tried the same EQ I use for my SA5000 and they sounded much less sleepy. Like tinyman said, they're definitely warm, but the midrange isn't as recessed as I thought it'd be. I like them more than the M50; they almost sound like an improved version of them if I remember correctly.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #34 of 44
Would you recommend them, if they would cost around 70 Euros (there is somebody selling his nearly new ones).
Have been looking for headphones for under 100 and read positive feedback about Brainwavz.

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #38 of 44
Dec 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #40 of 44
I put my HM9 thoughts/impressions here...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/695078/short-review-of-the-brainwavz-hm9

I actually like them more than I thought I would :)

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #41 of 44
Received a pair of HM9 in today, quite impressed with the design / futuristic appearance of this headphone, they look quite a bit more expensive in person than retail price suggests, especially with the aluminium framing. (love the look guys)

Like someone mentioned already the pads are close to an XB500 clone but smaller in diameter, if you've worn an XB500 you've almost experienced the similar super comfort. I read comments about the weight being a little too much, it hasn't concerned me yet, though maybe a young lady with a small frame may get tired over time.

As for the sound they're like mentioned, warm and cosy, rather smooth with enhanced bass. Out of the sources I've tried I'm having success with iPod touch 4G running 256 AAC. And they perform especially well with pop, ambient, chill, dubstep etc, which is probably what were trying to achieve here.

In some ways HM9 remind me of a better built / looking (and not far behind sounding) Yamaha PRO500.

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #42 of 44
Got a review sample in, and the rep suggested I link my review here as well (includes measurements): http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-hm9-hi-fi-noise-isolating-headphones/reviews/11692

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #44 of 44
HM9 with brainwavz round pad XL velour makes them way neutral and subbass roll off improves due to driver being nearby to ear. Overall sounds open and more comfortable. It turns into circumaural and due to driver beingnnearnto ear, treble detail improves.. No sibilance noticed as their is thin diffuser in the pad. Soundstage improved a lot.

Bass lovers can go for pleather.

Second thing I did is I used Silverstone wave pattern foam and placed inside the cup. It killed all resonance and subbass improved a little. It killed some mid bass making it more laid back neutral.

Isolation improved by leap and bounds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back