Brainwavz HM5s ARE HERE! Unboxing and Impressions
Mar 30, 2012 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

syNRG

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone

just got my HM5s and straight away unboxed them and took pictures. Sorry about the poor image quality, I don't really have a good camera, hence, some of the detail is lacking and parts of the images are blurry

Technically the HM5s don't come in a box. The come straight in a carrying case. The red band of course comes off. Nothing special about the case, just plain black with a handle at the top. There is no logo at all or anything fancy. Weird?

These are the headphones when you look out of the box. Both my ears were detached from the band :frowning2: , but it was easily solved :D The earpieces have 2 holes in them; the band has 2 "stlicks"? in them. Put 2 and 2 together and it's solved.
Will my headphones come to me like this? Probably not. I picked mine up from a fed ex facility not knowing the size of them and being unprepared. I shoved them into my messenger bad and i felt some give with the case but wasn't that worried. kinda wrong 'cos the broke :p

This is what's in the box. There's an airline adaptor, as well as a 1/4inch adaptor. Both adaptors need to be screwed onto the 3.5 at the end of the cables. There's a 3.0, and a 1.3m cable in the box. I'm sure you can guess which one's which based on the picture. These's also the extra set of pads you can see in the pics above but I didn't take a picture of them. 

These are the headphones alone. They look extremely tight and I'm not forcing the cups together as they're only resting on my hand. I thought i would need to stretch them out, then I put them on...They're amazingly comfortable and feel weightless. These looked a lot tighter than my Beats by Dr. Dre Studio (the only closed headphone I've owned other than these) but they're so much more comfortable. People say beats ear cushions are soft and comfortable; they have nothing on these. These are easily the most comfortable thing I've put on my head. The top of the headphones are padded but i have no idea where the weight goes. I've been wearing them for one hour and I can honestly say the weight is like a pair of airline headphones made of cheap plastic that you'd get if you travelled in economy. The comfort on the other hand is unmatched, like soft plush pillows against your head.
The metal "extension" band, has a very nice click and feels smooth yet "delicate" to adjustment. Yet when you grab the top of the headband and shake, they headphones don't fall and readjust themselves meaning they're actually quite secure.
The cables that fit into the headphones themselves (as they're detachable) require a firm push in followed by a click so you know they're in. They're quite firm and require a bit of effort to pull out. Something like your wire accidentally catching onto something and getting stuck while you're still walking will most likely not detach the cable from the headphones. Well at least not before you notice. The cables that go into the headphones split to go into either cup and are colour coded so you know which one goes into L and which one goes into R.
Build quality seems rather good even if my headphone cups did come off (but that was my fault). The headband stretches a fair bit. I would've taken another picture if I had another person to take the picture while I was held them.

Last of all sound. I'm not an audiophile and as I said before, the only pair of full sized headphones I've owned are beats studios so don't take my word for it, and please don't take this to be a review. I've only used them for an hour but the 1st thing i noticed were the vocals were so clear. The bass wasn't extremely thumpy especially when you come off Beats. I've not used an amp with the headphones yet and the soundcard in my computer is rather poor. I'm waiting to get a Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip to use these headphones with .flac files and an amp to get the most out of them.

Anyways, for now, this is the best I can give you guys. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, as I said, I'm no expert on anything (and yes, these pictures were from the future if you're from America :wink: ).

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 10
I tried to take some decent photos for my 1st legit discussion on head-fi. I had more photos but i thought that there would be too many, so i only posted "vital" ones :p

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks 4 the review. The earpads are they real leather ? And would you be so kind to post the overal diameter 'earpads' please

thanks from Belgium

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Thanks 4 the review. The earpads are they real leather ? And would you be so kind to post the overal diameter 'earpads' please

thanks from Belgium

From what i've read they are, but they're extremely soft and don't have any of the harsh characteristics of leather. But when it comes to leather headphone pads, I know nothing so they probably are.
Diameter:
Whole earpad: About 10.3cm in height; 8cm across
Part within the cushioning of the pad (where your ear goes into): 7cm in height; 5.2cm across
Posted 2 diameters each as the shape of them is an ellipse. 

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for this! Getting really excited to be getting mine sometime soon... if only the postal service weren't so slow! Probably should've gone with something other than the free shipping. :wink:

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 10

Edit:
cable quality-The cables are rather thick and the 3.5mm jack going into your mp3/computer/amp/dac is surrounded by very thing, long plastic. To some the length of the plastic can be annoying as it's not flexible until you get to the very end of it. I'll post some pictures of it later when i get the chance so you get what i mean. The explanation of what i've said is rather poor.
It's a straight plug, not an L, and feels very durable and high quality.
Quote:
Could you take a pic of the headphones on, so that I get an idea of their relative size?

I will soon when i get the chance to take more pictures :p

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Could you take a pic of the headphones on, so that I get an idea of their relative size?

Here are some pics of me wearing them. Definitely not my best day, and i felt weird taking selfies, so I removed my face :p

Here are the cables next to a ruler. Measurements in red are in centimetres. You can see the size difference between the Beats your L shaped plug and that of the HM5s. In my opinion, the Beats Tour's jack is marginally larger than that found on most earphones/headphones but the HM5 pretty much is double the size. When I was sitting in bed with my knees up, and my computer keyboard tilted down, the HM5s jack was definitely awkward as the output jack on my notebook computer is at the bottom. With the HM5 cable in, the massive cable points downward and doesn't sit well, feeling obstructive as the computer can't completely rest on my lap due to the size of the cable. With the Baats tour cable on the other hand, it was somewhat awkward, but due to it's smaller size and L-shaped plug, it was definitely easier as the L would point upward toward me. I hope you get what I mean, I don't really know how to explain it very well :p
Anways, I would've loved an L-shaped plug here just due to the size. L-shaped have always been my preference as the just feel more durable and last longer than straight plugs due to their ability to turn and face the direction of force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back