Brainwavz HM5
Mar 27, 2012 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Yazen

1000+ Head-Fier
Should be at my doorstep within the hour.  I'm surprised, I got them on pre-order and they shipped them the next day 
cool.gif

I'll post initial feedback and photos when they arrive

*Update: 3/29/12:

Have had the time to tinker with them for a couple of days.

Shipping:
Purchased from mp4nation.net
Ordered: Friday 23 March, 2012
Shipped Out: Friday 23 March, 2012
Recieved: Tuesday 27 March, 2012 (2 business days) [via Fedex 2-7 day]

Package required indirect signature, came in great shape; never had a good package with EMS/DHL (packages always looked abused, half of the time the product was affected in some way; be it a loose internal cable to a cracked screen).

If you're buying from the US, save yourself the shipping return; use Fedex's services.

Packaging:
Outer packaging consisted nothing more than a Fedex jiffy (bubblewrap envelope).  After opening I got what looked like a manual and a case, however after picking up it was merely case branding that hadn't been affixed properly.  Not a bother for me, one less thing to remove.
The zippers were initially tied together, used a packaging knife to cut them apart.
Unzipping revealed the headphones, pads, cables, and warranty card; all of which was protected by a foam material.  Great case to keep if you're going to lug these cans around.

Build Quality: 
Nothing much to criticize, everything about them looks great on the outside.  The stitching is quite good, doesn't look hastily done by sweatshop workers.  The inner plastic doesn't have a finishing like the exterior parts, not something you would need to care about.  My pair of HM5's had glue residue on them, probably from the branding process.  (used a cloth and scraped with my finger).  Included wires are kinda cheap, I can see myself needed replacements after a few months.

Audio Quality:
I'll see after 250 hours of breaking the drivers in.  What I can say so far is that there are better headphones in the $120 price range, I think the fischer fa-003 I auditioned sounded far different than these; although they both look the same.  

In honest truth, the HM5s are disappointing to me; before I get bashed some let me explain why:

Living in the US, however 6 months ago I was in Amman, Jordan.  In Jordan, I bought a pair of (insert chinese symbols) headpones for 14 JOD (~$20).  They have the same patenting wing design as the ATH-ADX000; with the inclusion of a microphone.  What is surprising is that they sound good.

When I compare these $20 headphones to the ath-ad700 or brainwavz hm5 I am disappointed because they aren't adding much to the sound quality.  No I'm not bs-ing, they were $20 (USD); although uncomfortable they sound quite good.  I'm not saying they trump either pair I bought, but if you compare price to performance...

I'm not going to compare build quality, those things were shoddy at best; will test some more after breaking in.

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 12
A bit bulky for my taste but they sound good. Let us know once they arrive. 

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 12
Just got home, package arrived in great condition (fedex).

Will post more details and pictures, however these cans are quite disappointing so far (coming from ad700).  Sound seems somewhat muffled, bass is quite poor.

In all, I'd compare them to the beats my cousin got for christmas; was expecting much more than this from all the hype.  (guess that's how they get'cha).

I'll let these run till tomorrow and see if they're any better (really hoping they improve, the build quality is great).

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
My ipod doesn't like em without a amp. So end of discussion

confused.gif
 Okay? I'm just saying I think there's a difference between you not liking the way they sound out of your iPod vs them requiring an amp to sound good, it's not like they need the extra power to be driven properly. To me they sound better out of my portable player then they do out of my desktop dac/amp. That's a result of coincidence or synergy, but my point is they can be driven by just about anything.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #11 of 12
Here are the max volumes (I can audibly stand) and devices I have used the HM5s with:

Portable MP3 Players:
Sony NWZB153B B, ~30%, I love this mp3 player, charges really fast.

Discrete/Onboard Sound:
Xonar DG, ~35% no amplification (~20% when set to 64ohms).
Realtek HD audio, ~50%

Mobile Phones:
Sony C902, ~80%​
Palm Pixi, ~75%
Nokia N73, ~65%
 ​
Tablets/Misc:
HP Touchpad, ~50
Ainol Novo 7 advanced I (with official ICS firmware), ~65%
Nintendo Gameboy Color, at maximum volume it gives a good listening level
 ​
An iPod touch easily costs more than everything on this list, (for the Xonar you can buy a refurb core2duo system for $130).  I have a few portable amps, nothing high end (zo2 , e11, e5); HM5 is easy to power (even works on a GBC). ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 12
What kind of garbage is this?  Until admin informs me you are the last word in all things headfi, you're not much here. The amping makes a very moderate improvement.  These phones simply aren't very good for their going price, that's my opinion, not an absolute.
Quote:
My ipod doesn't like em without a amp. So end of discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back