Brainwavz HM5 vs Fostex T50RP [EDIT: and the Shure 840] (Question NOT review)
Feb 19, 2012 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sulkoudai

500+ Head-Fier
do anyone have them or heard them both?? I have never had any proper full size headphones, Ive always been an iem person.

can you just tell me the differences and if there are any other in the same price range that I should consider?

and are amps necessary (i currently have the Cowon J3) and if they are necessary will 100> bucks amps do the job?

thanks in advance.

EDIT: i don't want to do ANY modding, unless its really easy.

ANOTHER EDIT: how about the Shure 840??

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 9
Depends what you're looking for. HM5 is more neutral. SRH840 less so. It has a kind of edgy treble and zero extension. The HM5 is waaaay more comfortable. The pads are deeper and much softer. Also the headband is padded a little better, and not ridiculously huge and heavy.

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Depends what you're looking for. HM5 is more neutral. SRH840 is not. It has a kind of edgy treble and zero extension. The HM5 is waaaay more comfortable. The pads are deeper and much softer. Also the headband is padded a little better, and not ridiculously huge and heavy.

i think I'm gonna go for the HM5s. I want neutral headphones with bass, not emphasised bass, good bass. And i hate large soundstage, i like medium sound stage, i don't want it to sound like its right on my ears, but also not like i'm in a hall.

After reading several reviews on the HM5s and 840s, i think the HM5s are for me, i would love a direct comparison though, i haven't been able to find one.

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #6 of 9
Have you check out the Fischer FA-003 (identical to HM5) thread at all? It's been around much longer, so if there's any comparisons anywhere they're probably there. Sorry I can't give one. I haven't actually owned the 840s, but I did own the 440s for a while, and recently I auditioned the 840s at Guitar Center. I went over into the room with all the mic preamps and recording gear. It has a door and there's no music playing inside, so it was pretty quiet. I was using my Cowon X7, which is the same way I used to listen to the 440s. From what I can tell the treble on both is very similar. I recognized it right away, because I personally find it very annoying. I probably shouldn't comment on the rest of the sound too much, as I was only there for about 15-20 minutes.

To my ears, the bass on the HM5 isn't bad, but it's not amazing either. Since you have a Cowon, try EQing 1 or 2 dB at 300 Hz, that can help. That is, if you do end up getting the them. I've had good results with MachBass as well. Also, the soundstage on the HM5 is very spacious for a closed headphone. But if by "large" you're referring to certain open headphones, then yeah it will be more "medium."

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Have you check out the Fischer FA-003 (identical to HM5) thread at all? It's been around much longer, so if there's any comparisons anywhere they're probably there. Sorry I can't give one. I haven't actually owned the 840s, but I did own the 440s for a while, and recently I auditioned the 840s at Guitar Center. I went over into the room with all the mic preamps and recording gear. It has a door and there's no music playing inside, so it was pretty quiet. I was using my Cowon X7, which is the same way I used to listen to the 440s. From what I can tell the treble on both is very similar. I recognized it right away, because I personally find it very annoying. I probably shouldn't comment on the rest of the sound too much, as I was only there for about 15-20 minutes.

To my ears, the bass on the HM5 isn't bad, but it's not amazing either. Since you have a Cowon, try EQing 1 or 2 dB at 300 Hz, that can help. That is, if you do end up getting the them. I've had good results with MachBass as well. Also, the soundstage on the HM5 is very spacious for a closed headphone. But if by "large" you're referring to certain open headphones, then yeah it will be more "medium."

ok , thanks so much for your help.

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 9
I have both the HM5 and T50RP. If you don't mod the T50RP, the HM5 sounds better. If you spend an additional $50 and take the time required to mod the T50RPs, they sound so much better than the HM5s. It is entirely worth it. Of course, a modded T50RP needs a decent amp to reach good listening volumes and sound quality. The HM5 is much more forgiving in this regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back