Brainwavz B2 - I was fooled: From disappointment to full enjoyment
Oct 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

GeoD

100+ Head-Fier
It's been years since I last participated on head-fi, but felt compelled to write a quick review after my last headphone experience.  Quick background: the height of my head-fi participation involved a balanced pair of Lawton Audio D2k's, DACMagic and a RudiStor amp.  For me it was pretty much audio heaven.  I can recall times where I'd sit there listening to music grinning ear to ear feeling I was in another world.  I since sold that setup years back and slowly beginning my ascent back into the headphone world 1 step at a time.

I was seeking a pair of IEMs to use for work, traveling and around the house.  After doing some research I came across the Brainwavz B2 headphones.  The reviews I read stated that these are a great bang for the buck headphone for around $160 that uses a dual balanced armature driver and are fairly easy to drive.  While I enjoy my bass, I am more drawn to overall sound quality, presentation and sound stage.  I primarily listen to a wide variety of electronic music from electro house, progressive psy, drum and bass, vocal trance & house, progressive and some dub-step.  After reading some reviews and trying to digest this IEM roundup, I was looking in the Tier 2A headphones in the $150 - $250 range.  The Brainwavz B2 were tied for the highest sound rating in that category with a 9.2 out of 10.  As I searched for them, I ended up finding them on Amazon for $100 and couldn't resist pulling the trigger.

A majority of my listening on the go comes from streaming music on soundcloud or di.fm or youtube, clearly not FLAC quality recordings, which was nearly all I used with my prior setup.  As I plugged the Brainwavz B2 into my Galaxy S3, I immediately felt disappointed and asked myself, "This is it?" .  The bass response was so minimal for me I almost thought they were defective.  I was comparing the B2s to a $20 pair of Sony IEMs I got at Target to use when working out or doing yard work.  To me the Sony's were more musical simply because it had some bass presence and were easily driven.  I could appreciate the separation of instruments, improved clarity and sound quality of the B2s but not enough to justify a 5x higher price.  I requested a return label from Amazon and boxed them up.

In the meantime, I ordered a Leckerton Audio UHA-6S MKII to build up a new mobile rig and improve my listening at the office without having a desktop AMP / DAC that I had to worry about.  I also ordered a pair of HE-400s so I didn't have to use IEMs all day at work.  The UHA-6S MKII arrived and I plugged my $20 Sony headphones into them and couldn't believe the difference it made.  The cheap Sony's really came alive with tighter bass, a larger sound stage and better instrument separation.  As crappy as this setup was in comparison to my old Denon rig, it actually left me with a smile.  I had the B2s sitting in my car ready to be dropped off at the UPS store and figured, it's worth a shot on the UHA-6S MKII.

Upon plugging in the B2s to the UHA-6S MKII my smile began to grow.  Bass was now present, very tight and controlled, but was there.  Exactly what I'd want for IEMs that I could potentially be listening to for hours on end.  To me the best improvement was the sound stage and instrument separation.  I was hearing things in songs that seemed so distant from each other, sometimes making my head spin.  I began to appreciate the B2s and could see why they would receive a 9.2 out of 10 rating.

Over the past two days, I have yet to move the volume knob of the UHA-6S MKII past 9 o'clock (starts around 7 o'clock) on high gain.  I feel so engaged with the music even at very low listening levels.  I can highly recommend this combo to anyone with B2s.  In fact, I have only used the DAC via a USB connection which has a max output of 16-bit/48-kHz, so I know it will only get better once I begin listening to my collection of FLAC music using the 24-bit/96-kHz S/PDIF connection.

I'm currently awaiting some Ety tri-flange headphone tips, which I'm hoping will slightly improve the bass response from creating a better seal and deeper insertion.  I will update this post once I receive them.

Anyone considering the Brainwavz B2, plan on amping them properly despite some reviews saying they don't need much power.  I know I was disappointed and honestly probably wouldn't even justify spending $50 on them if I planned on running them off my Galaxy S3, the cheap-o headphones were a better fit to my listening tastes un-amped.

Highly recommend both the Brainwavz B2 and the Leckerton Audio UHA-6S MKII.  If you can get these headphones for around $100, they are a truly steal and one of the best bang-for-the-buck audio investments I've made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back