Brainwavz B2/DBA-02/ATH-CK10 clarity, but with more bass?
Oct 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #16 of 103
Cheers to you, mvw2, for the education you've provided today!

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #17 of 103
@mvw2 Do you think you could extrapolate just a bit on the differences between the GR07 and the eq7? You mentioned the eq7 is on the warmer side so it occurred to me that it might bare some resemblance to the GR07. And while we're at it what about the eq5 versus the ck10? Is it similiar in detail or presentation only with increased bass?
I think the op might find the GR07 too lacking in highs and the ck10 too lacking in bass (like I do haha) which is why I'm asking.

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #20 of 103
Quote:
have you seen this review on e-Q5s yet?
http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/01/ortofon-e-q5-review/
it compares to Ck10 so very informatinve

Thanks yello131 but the comparisons in that article were mostly against the sm3 and the phonaks, niether of which I've heard.
frown.gif
Anyway from reading about the sm3 it sounds that it would lack the sparkle that the op and I are looking for, although a filter mod exists to fix that. It seems to me that the ortofons may be a solution for a bassier ck10, but it would be helpful to know how they stack up in relation to the GR07 as well because it sounds like the eqs occupy a middle ground between the two.

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #21 of 103
The EQ5 does occupy a middle ground between the GR07 and CK10. It's clearer than the GR07 but warmer than the CK10. 

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #22 of 103
I'd recommend the EQ5.  Despite better low end extension than the DBA/B2, the CK10 was actually leaner in the low end to mine and some other ears w/ the DBA having more mid bass punch, rounder note and fuller body.  The CK10 also had peakier, more fatiguing treble I couldn't live with.  It always sounded more 2D armaturish than the DBA/B2 to me.  Plus the price difference was quite large ($110 v. $250+) and made no sense between the two.  Bear in mind, fit and gear will affect how each person hears these things.  The EQ5 is the closest thing to the DBA signature w/ a bit more lowend that I've heard.  

Also look into the Final Audio Design A1.  If it was only a bit cheaper it would dominate many phones.  That would probably be my pick over the EQ5, CK10 and definitely the GR07 which didn't get on too well with me due to it's almost Ultrasonesque timbre.

http://www.touchmyapps.com/2010/09/23/final-audio-fi-ba-sb-and-fi-ba-a1-earphones-in-review-top-brass/

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #23 of 103
Like mvw2, I though the CK10 was more textured than the DBA02/B2, so like Anax mentioned preferences can lean you a different way when it's close. The CK10's treble wasn't fatiguing IME,  the DBA02/B2's were more fatiguing due to more treble leniency. The CK10's were more piercing though and with certain recordings it sounded a bit brittle due to the 10k spike. I though the DBA02 was more 2D due to a compressed dynamic range, whereas the CK10 had pretty good depth/dynamic range. The B2's were more user friendly though, getting that perfect fit was pretty straightforward if you're used to deep insertion. With the CK10 it took a lot of experimenting, though it is also easy to insert and use once you know what works.

The A1 wasn't mentioned and that will be my personal pick for a CK10/DBA02/B2 sound with more bass. The EQ5 has the clarity of the CK10/B2-DBA02 but it just doesn't do as well in providing all the subtle details and glosses out some stuff. I also found it more glassy and edgy than the CK10/DBA02-B2, due to some peaks in the lower treble. I was actually disappointed  The A1 has that rawness of the CK10/DBA02-B2 and then some. Bass has good depth and the soundstage is airy and wide like a dynamic, very nice IEM. The A1 is a bit v-shaped, nothing like the FX700 or even the TF10 but definitely somewhat v-shaped. 

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #24 of 103
Quote:
Like mvw2, I though the CK10 was more textured than the DBA02/B2, so like Anax mentioned preferences can lean you a different way when it's close. The CK10's treble wasn't fatiguing IME,  the DBA02/B2's were more fatiguing due to more treble leniency. The CK10's were more piercing though and with certain recordings it sounded a bit brittle due to the 10k spike. I though the DBA02 was more 2D due to a compressed dynamic range, whereas the CK10 had pretty good depth/dynamic range. The B2's were more user friendly though, getting that perfect fit was pretty straightforward if you're used to deep insertion. With the CK10 it took a lot of experimenting, though it is also easy to insert and use once you know what works.

The A1 wasn't mentioned and that will be my personal pick for a CK10/DBA02/B2 sound with more bass. The EQ5 has the clarity of the CK10/B2-DBA02 but it just doesn't do as well in providing all the subtle details and glosses out some stuff. I also found it more glassy and edgy than the CK10/DBA02-B2, due to some peaks in the lower treble. I was actually disappointed  The A1 has that rawness of the CK10/DBA02-B2 and then some. Bass has good depth and the soundstage is airy and wide like a dynamic, very nice IEM. The A1 is a bit v-shaped, nothing like the FX700 or even the TF10 but definitely somewhat v-shaped. 

Wow scouring the net to read up on the A1's versus the CK10s/DBAs and I end up back at your comment Inks haha. There's not much info comparing them. I would love to hear more.

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #25 of 103
Compared to the CK10, the A1's treble is more peaky and in your face, specially the lower treble. But whereas the CK10's treble is full of air and can take the spotlight at times, the A1's treble is contrasted by a pretty good amount of bass. A1's mids are more recessed but have more texture than the CK10's, with a liquid feel like the EQ5. I think the CK10s are more balanced, but the A1s manage to compare really well in resolution despite a more colored treble and bass. 

Oct 22, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #28 of 103
Quote:
How much do the A1s typically go for and who sells them?

Amazon.co.jp has them for $218. Just ordered them. Can't believe I did that haha. Perfect scenario: they'll be everything I want in a headphone and I'll sell my remaining stock. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #30 of 103
Yeah it'll probably be a couple weeks until they arrive but I'll definitely get back with some impressions and comparisons. These do sound promising. From their description it seems odd that there hasn't been more community interest in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back