Brainwavz B2/DBA-02/ATH-CK10 clarity, but with more bass?
Dec 13, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #91 of 103

So the low end of the FX700 is unnaturally boosted, emphasizing the fun factor, then?

What would you then consider to be the most natural/accurate, if I may use those terms interchangeably, sounding IEM you've heard?

Do IEMs of this sound signature typically have a flat frequency response, and are they commonly referred to as "boring" by others?

Yeah, I believe it's boosted past the needed compensation point. I would point out that it's still nothing like the hump on IEMs like the MDs or IE8s that are more problematic. I will also add that it's my favorite modestly bass boosted (6db+estimate) IEM by far. 

I personally think there are many so called top-tier IEMs, that I wouldn't place that high top because of their slightly excess coloration (IE8, W3, etc). In general I think BAs get a lot closer to the source, they're overall less peaky and can sound more effortless. Most natural/accurate IEM will be hard to judge as there are many products out there that get close enough that picking one will then be based on experience/preference. I do think there is some guidelines involved though. I already mentioned compensation of the bass and treble, but James' forward projection guideline is also quite sound, though I personally place that far behind frequency response. Off the top of my head, the SE530/5, EX1000, GR07, TF10, EQ-5, EQ-7 and K2 (more unmentioned) will be among the most accurate IEMs I've heard. I do dislike some of the mentioned though, mainly because of a slightly harsh or forward treble (K2, EQ-5, EX1000?) despite nice bass-midrange balance. Each have their share of flaws, it's about what has a better synergy for you because despite aiming to be accurate, you're still coloring the sound. There are so many factors that pull you away from the source that some coloration is inevitable. 

Which dynamic iem has the closest sound to TF10 but with more bass impact and extension? FX700? If yes, also FXT90 (which has ~85% of FX700  sound) but with forwarded mids?

FXT90 if looking for more bass and mids, while retaining a somewhat similar approach to the TF10. Even then, they're quite different. FX700 won't have forward mids. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #92 of 103
I just got my UE700, and I personally find the bass is punchier and extend deeper than B2/DBA-02, though UE700 is not as detailed, and separation is not as good as B2/DBA-02, but it is very close...

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #93 of 103

Quote:
I just got my UE700, and I personally find the bass is punchier and extend deeper than B2/DBA-02, though UE700 is not as detailed, and separation is not as good as B2/DBA-02, but it is very close...

I completely agree. I got my B2 recently after having owned the UE700 for quite some time. The UE700 extends noticeably deeper into the sub-bass region, while the B2 gives a touch more detail and clarity.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #94 of 103
I have a question...are musicality and accuracy independent from one another? That is, can I only have one or the other?

I think very specifically what I am looking for in an IEM is its ability to convey the emotion of the track. It's nice to nit-pick all the little nuances and details of a song, but I'd much rather have all those elements present but contributing to an overall picture. My enjoyment of a song should not be derived only from the fact that I hear everything, but said fact in combination with the emotion of the track. I want to be able to sit back with a nice instrumental piece and forget my surroundings and melt away and feel integrated into the music. In this same vein, I would be able to get up and dance to an electro track because, after all, it would be the IEM's conveyance of the emotion of the track, and by extension the emotion in general, that I am enjoying and not the specifics of the drivers of the IEM itself. If that makes sense.

Basically, I'm looking for realism, accuracy, detail, and the ability to convey emotion.

Does it exist?

Thanks.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #95 of 103

Quote:
I have a question...are musicality and accuracy independent from one another? That is, can I only have one or the other?

I think very specifically what I am looking for in an IEM is its ability to convey the emotion of the track. It's nice to nit-pick all the little nuances and details of a song, but I'd much rather have all those elements present but contributing to an overall picture. My enjoyment of a song should not be derived only from the fact that I hear everything, but said fact in combination with the emotion of the track. I want to be able to sit back with a nice instrumental piece and forget my surroundings and melt away and feel integrated into the music. In this same vein, I would be able to get up and dance to an electro track because, after all, it would be the IEM's conveyance of the emotion of the track, and by extension the emotion in general, that I am enjoying and not the specifics of the drivers of the IEM itself. If that makes sense.

Basically, I'm looking for realism, accuracy, detail, and the ability to convey emotion.

Does it exist?

Thanks.

lol still looking DM? I don't blame you. What you seek is hard to find. How about the SM3's with the filter mod? I've read they can sound dark compared to the CK10/DBA, but removing/replacing the filter can drastically change the treble. I want to try it but no one will trade me for my A1's haha. Other than that I'd say it's about time to invest in some customs... 

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #96 of 103
Yeah I'm still looking. I wanted to try the SM3s but I heard the filter mod makes the highs sibilant. I'm also worried about the V1s housing being aggravating, and I don't know if I want to blow the money on the V2s...

As far as customs go, sure I'd like to try them, but they are a big investment and I'm not sure if I can warrant their price by just playing them out of the headphone jack of an iPod. Reselling is also an issue if I end up disliking the end product. Plus there's refits and all that.

I'd like to get customs one day for sure, but I'd rather find an excellent IEM to tide me over for now...

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #99 of 103

Quote:

Does it exist?

Thanks.

Yes it does...MTPC!!

Just bought one recently, and this has a signature that is very, very close to my holy grail of IEM (B2 + bass, that's how I like mine)

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #102 of 103

Quote:
Get the newly released Vsonic GR01. It has all the good qualitites of DBA -02 but with better bass and no piercing highs like that of B2. 

I'd love to hear more...
popcorn.gif

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #103 of 103

Quote:
Get the newly released Vsonic GR01. It has all the good qualitites of DBA -02 but with better bass and no piercing highs like that of B2. 

Man you are doing something wrong.  The GR01 doesn't have the dynamics of the DBA/B2.  It's less treble tipped but that's because it's rolled off.  GR01 has a rounder mid bass but it tend to be soft and Toms sound indistinct in percussion.  The crystal clarity is below the DBAmk2 which is just shy of the mk1.  The GR01 is inoffensive and a nit bassier but rather bland and boring by comparison from my rig.  If you don't use wide bore tips on the B2 and actually insert them deep you should have a nice sweet treble that is smooth, not harsh.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back