Braided or not braided - and how many conductors per signal?
Nov 8, 2007 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Chopha

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I’m going to make myself a new set of cables, both to my stereo as well as my portable setup.
I have some question though. Let’s say that I’m going to do a pair of interconnects for my stereo; should I or should I no braid the signal and ground conductors together? And if I make a new cable for my headphones – braided or not?

Another question:
If I replace the stock cable on my DT-770 with pure silver, is a single 0.5mm (24 awg if I’m not mistaken) silver wire enough to use for signal for my Beyer’s, or should I double it up and use two wires per signal and ground?

/Chopha

Nov 8, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd try a 4-wire round braid of 30 AWG silver if I were you.

I tend to agree. Braided - yes. 4-wire (or more) - yes. 30AWG (or even 28AWG), if it's really good quality 99.9999% silver - definitely yes.

But allow for 150+ hours of burn in before actually listening for sound quality.

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 7
Ok, then braided it is.

But I only have 24awg sized wire which is teflon isolated.
It cannot be to thick can it?

/Chopha

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

But allow for 150+ hours of burn in before actually listening for sound quality.

Why
confused.gif
confused.gif
What happens during this 150+ hours, besides electrons flowing at the speed of light a million times?

Nov 9, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, then braided it is.

But I only have 24awg sized wire which is teflon isolated.
It cannot be to thick can it?

/Chopha

24AWG will perform quite fine. In my experience, though, good quality 28AWG achieves the best SQ (with my home equipment). But I think my portable rig's mini-2-mini is 24AWG and I have no complaints at all with 24AWG sound.
icon10.gif

And don't get distracted into a 'burn-in does/does not matter' discussion by meat01's post. I, like stevenkilby, cannot tell you why the sound changes only that, consistently in my experience, it does (for the better
icon10.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back