Braided 2-pin cables without memory wire?
Aug 28, 2014 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kwudude

New Head-Fier
I have experienced quite a few types of IEM cables but none have been better than the cable that comes with the old Westone series (1, 2, 3, and 4).

A list of advantages of those cables:

1. Medium thickness and braided design prevents tangling
  2. Y-split, earphone entry, and jack entry all have well-made molded strain reliefs
  3. Low-profile right angle 3.5mm jack
  4. Extremely comfortable and has next to no microphonics worn over-ear
  5. Flexible and has no memory effect

I recently ordered a pair of custom IEMs and have been looking for the 2-pin equivalent.

The obvious choice is the Westone EPIC (ES) series cable. It is identical except for the presence of memory wire, which really irks me as it is bothersome with glasses and less-than-useful even with contact lenses in. I received a defective (oxidized to black) Westone ES cable and was fortunate enough to not have to send them back in the course of my refund. I cut around the sleeve beside the 2-pin connector and snipped the memory wire off with a wire cutter, but the remaining length of cable that had previously been beside the memory wire was not braided.

In my search for alternatives I have come across the Estron Linum BaX, which will come with my customs but I fear they will be too thin and will tangle easily. 1964 Ears produces an affordable replacement cable with only a short section of memory wire, which I plan to remove if I purchase them. Is the wire braided under the plastic sheath?

Beyond these two, I do not know of any other options. I do not want to venture into upscale cables because of limited actual benefit, however pretty they may be - simply searching for practicality here.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket cable under $70 or so that is braided and two-pin, but lacks memory wire? Alternatively, a similar cable with short memory wire and a braided section alongside it?

Aug 30, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Fair enough... but does it really matter that much about the short non-braided section? By the way, I was a little anxious that I wouldn't like the memory wire when I got the Westone 4R but I actually found it OK - and I wear glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back