Boxed sets and compilations thread
Nov 27, 2003 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
Warning: long post - you can quickly read my ratings and skip the narrative if you're not interested in the music I've listed.

---

I've recently noticed at places such as Best Buy that there are many great looking boxes sets coming out, some of which are offered at reasonable prices. I'd like to know what you think of the ones that you've heard (especially Buffalo Springfield if anyone has taken the plunge).

Obviously, you would have to be a big fan of any artist before considering making such a large purchase so it might not make sense to have a "best box set" thread, but I thought I'd start with the ones I have (and have enjoyed).

Rather than splitting hairs on what a "boxed set" or "compilation" is, let's just define it as any single product (regardless of how fancy the packaging) in which 3 or more CD's are packaged together. One other rule - a mere repackaging of old studio albulms don't count (i.e., the 15 SACD box set of old Dylan albulms - what's the point).

Here's my list:

(5 star = best rating, 1 star = worst rating).

1. The Band - "The Last Waltz" *****

The legendary farewell concert for The Band held on Thanksgiving day, 1976 at Winterland in San Fransisco. This is a 4 CD set with a booklet that descibes the events leading up to the show of all rock shows (Woodstock notwithstanding) and some insight from band members. The DVD is excellent too, but this is a MUST box set for any 70's rocker. Features Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Dr. John, Paul Butterfield, Eric Clapton, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell... many, many more). If you don't know about The Last Waltz, then - well, you're just too young! (Ask your grandfather about is someday). This stuff is just amazingly good. You can feel the love! They supposedly had to edit the video clips when it first came out to remove a big glob of coke from Neil Young's nose. What a night it must have been!

2. Beach Boys "The Pet Sound Sessions" *****

For entirely different reasons than The Last Waltz, this is a MUST have for anyone who is 1) a Beach Boys fan and/or 2) interested in learning about the recording process of a great albulm. Notice that I said "and/or" because I'm not a big Beach Boys fan and in fact always thought their music was - well, shallow. This is a 4 disc set (3 of music and 1 DVD which I've never actually watched, so my comments are strictly about the music). Wow! What a stunningly recorded masterpiece!

Disc One is the studio albulm that was released more than 30 years ago. Hard to believe they could have achieved this kind of recording quality back then! It's the finished product.

Discs 2 and 3 are the 'work in progress' tapes. Essentially, it's a story that unfolds with Brian Wilson as the 'conductor' (if you will) of the band - telling various members what he's looking for in bits and pieces of their material; everything is woven together in such a way that by the end of Disc 2 (instrumentals) and Disc 3 (vocals) you feel as though you understand what they were trying to achieve. When you've finished the journey, you want to start all over again! This is why the boxed set is wonderful to listen to even if you're not a Beach Boys fan. It's really a great musical experience. The 126 page "Making of Pet Sounds" booklet by David Leaf is an added bonus but the music is what tells the story.

3. Anthology of American Folk Music ****

Not 5 stars because not everyone can stomach old recordings from the 1920's (and onward) but this is one for any serious student of modern music. Bob Dylan is said to have been greatly influenced by this (now) 6 CD set back when he was "hungry" - both in the physical and musical sense - and stole this set of albulms from a friend. (As an aside, Bob did all sorts of not so nice things in his early days - check out the book "Down the Highway - The Life of Bob Dylan" by Howard Sounes - an unauthorized biography, for a good read - and where I got the Neil Young snorting example from, by the way).

Anyway, the "Anthology" is filled with great folk songs that spell out "Americana" in red, white, and blue. It was on the expensive side (nearly $100) so it's not for everyone, but it deserves 4 stars because of it's historical significance.

4. Martin Scorsese Presents "The Blues - A Muscial Journey" ****

A big-time production effort with all sorts of marketing behind it. You can't help but to bump into it in any major record store these days, but - thankfully - it's quite good. I'm not a blues expert (nor an expert of any genre for that matter), but the selections seem judicious.

It moves from very early (again, like the "Anthology of Folk Music") 1920's poorly recorded but influential songs to some very recent recordings. This is a 6 CD set so there will be something for everyone and the packaging is excellent. The price wasn't too bad either - around $50 as I recall, maybe a bit more. Not too much to say about this one because you will all see the playlist next time you're in a record store - ANY record store! There are all sorts of offshoot products as well - DVDs - individual group collections - etc.

In some ways, I'm tempted to rate it as a 3 star collection simply because it doesn't beg to be heard over and over again. It gets 4 because the price is reasonable, the packaging is excellent and there was a lot of thought that went into the project from many bluesmen and other experts. It's more of an education than anything, and for that it's excellent (a modern day "Anthology" but for blues instead of folk).

5. Oriente de Cuba ****

I don't understand a word of Spanish, but this 5 CD set (nothing fancy, just CD's) for $23 and change was an absolute steal since it's so soothing and peaceful to listen to. The recording quality is adequate but nothing to write home about, but at low volumes, I've never noticed anything that would be considered annoying. It was an internet purchase, so do a Google search to find the vendor and snap up a copy fast. The rating reflects the bagain price more than anything since I know so little about the music itself - I just love it!

6. Bruce Springsteen "Tracks" ****

4 CD set (released in 1998) with nice packaging and lots of previously unreleased songs. I've picked this set up recently and have enjoyed it tremendously. It's hard to belienve that songs like "Thundercrack" and "Rendezvous" never made the final cut on any of his studio albulms. (Or did they, and I missed them somehow? Where is Jmederios when I need him?).

This collection is not a MUST unless you happen to be a die-hard Boss fan; the 4 star rating reflects my musical tastes. HDCD technology provides excellent sound quality. Note that all 66 songs (well over 4 hours) are studio cuts including the very first notes Bruce ever sang in a Columbia recording studio. No live material here. Lots of great nostolgia.

7. Fleetwood Mac "The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions - 1967-1969" ***.5

Ok, so my keyboard will not allow me to give a 3.5 star rating. This was the biggest sleeper in the lot! I found it for about $35 and figured "How can I go wrong for 6 CDs?" Indeed! Some of these discs were previoulsy released studio albulms of the early Fleetwood Mac "blues band" days (i.e., "Fleetwood Mac", "Mr. Wonderful" and "The Pious Bird of Good Omen"). That's right, for you young folks, at one time, there were no ladies in the band - this is pre-Rumors (which came out in '76) and these guys were an excellent blues band with Peter Green as their tutor. Hey, if you don't remember The Last Waltz (from '76) how could you remember the 60's?

What I like about this collection is that there a lot of out-takes and false starts and you get a feel for how the band worked together. Some funny **** actually - you hear these British voice saying, "What the screw are your playing? as the music stops and the tape keeps rolling. The other thing I like is that you don't have to listen to any of it in order. Once you make your first pass through the collection, you can reach for any of these juicy discs and be equally happy when you need a great blues guitar fix! Rated as 3.5 stars because, let's face it, there are better blues bads out there - then and now - but it grooves, no doubt!

8. Bruce Sprinsteen "Live 1975/85" ***

Ok, so not a boxed set at all, but it fits my definition of "any single product of 3 CDs or more". Obviously, an oldie, and lots of great Boss stuff that you either love or hate. I almost forgot about this one; I'll have to listen to it all again!

9. Bob Dylan "The Bootleg Series - Volumes 1-3" ***

3 CD set. Like the Springsteen stuff, this is an oldie. It contains some of my favorite (previously unreleased) Dylan material so it's never too far out of reach. The "Last Thoughts on Woddie Guthrie" tribute - a 5 page poem that takes about 10 minutes to read - will send a chill down your spine every time. I've got most of it memorized - Bob is simply the best.

Incidentally, Volume 4 (which I don't have) and Volume 5 (which I do) have also been released. I quite like the material on Volume 5 - known as "The Rolling Thunder Revue" or "Live 1975" from his famous world tour. Yet, since this is just 2 CD set, it would break my rules to rate it seperately. so I'll behave.

10. Bob Dylan "A Tree With Roots" **

As a huge Bob Dylan fan, it's painful to give any of his work a mere 2 star rating, but this kind of stuff was never meant to be released. This is definitely a "collection" rather than a boxed set in terms of packaging - a bootleg all the way! For serious Dylan fans, there are websites that will direct you closer to where you ought to be looking for non-albulm material. The biggest problem is not the songs themselves but the recording quality! These are the "Basement Tapes" made at the big pink house during Bob's post-motorcycle accident years spent in Woodstock with members of "The Hawks" (later to become "The Band").

That's my list. This was fun. Hope I didn't bore anyone.

Oh, on order are Volumes 1, 2, 3 and 4 of Sarah Vaughn's "The Mercury Collection" each of which has 5 or 6 CD's of Sassy's early years - and I've also ordered the 8 CD Sarah Vaughn set put out by Mosaic for some of her mid-career material. That's a lot! But the good thing is that I never tire of my girl Sassy!

Nov 27, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 15
A couple other suggestions:

The William Kapell RCA collection (piano music)

The Solti/London Ring Cycle (Wagner).

I can't remember if these are at Best Buy, but any Tower would have them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2003 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
There is something that really appeals to the completist in us with box sets!

Indeed, my two favorites are the Police and Misfits boxed sets.

Nov 28, 2003 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 15
"Star Time" is considered the definitive collection of work by the Godfather of Soul, James Brown. It's a 4-cd set that spans his career from ballad crooner to funk-meister. I think the loss of some of his later material might have been judicious, but that doesn't detract from this great overview of JB's career. It was remaster in 1991 or 1992, so the rebook cds are quite okay sounding as well! Four out of five stars

I'm not a huge blues fan, but the "The Chess Box: Muddy Waters" is one of the best box sets I own. Even though I normally would have thought 3 disc of Muddy might be over-kill, it's not. It's great and a joy to listen. The songs are fantastic and the recording quality is also superb. Five out of Five Stars

The Chess Box: Bo Diddley. I love Bo Diddley and the man did write one of the greatest guitar riffs of all time - but, boy, does he use it again, and again, and again. This is only a 2 disc sets, but it's overkill, although a dozen tracks or so are great. Two out of five stars.

Dec 3, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 15
Because only one person listened to each (you're in luck, though, the one person who listened to Merzbox is actually on this forum).

Dec 3, 2003 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
(you're in luck, though, the one person who listened to Merzbox is actually on this forum).

So how is it?
smily_headphones1.gif

And, just curious, has anyone listened to those huge boxes by Klaus Schulze ("Jubilee Edition" and the like) and Tangerine Dream (e.g "Dream Dice")

Dec 3, 2003 at 2:41 PM Post #10 of 15
How can I not mention this one:

This is an elegant package of the first four albums by the Chieftains. The sound quality is exceptional considering that some of the recording dated back to the 60s. Even in these early days, the Chieftains' idiosyncratic style was already very much in evidence -- and you can hear how they polish and expand upon their sound palatte with each coming album.

For those who enjoy more exotic types of music, the label Celestial Harmonies has many great boxed sets available. I'm partial to the sets produced by David Parsons, as these often contain rare, insular performance styles not found in other similar collections of ethnic music.

The Parsons boxes include music of Bail, Vietnam, Cambodia, and especially Armenia -- haven't taken the plunge to get the 17-CD Music of Islam yet -- but I'd highly recommend the sampler of the series, which contains a surprising variety of music accompanied by a booklet that covers a range of musical/cultural topics.

Dec 3, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by FalconP
So how is it?
smily_headphones1.gif

No, actually, it wasn't me. But one of these days... Quote:

And, just curious, has anyone listened to those huge boxes by Klaus Schulze ("Jubilee Edition" and the like) and Tangerine Dream (e.g "Dream Dice")

Now, those I have heard. Klaus Schulze is a god, in my top 10 favourite artists of all time. Tangerine Dream is in my top 3. Actually, recent Tangerine Dream has begun to sound a little samey to me.

Klaus Schulze is all over the place. Well worth the price of entry for the best stuff on there. The Historic Edition is probably the best one, but the two Contemporary Works ain't too shabby neither.

Dec 3, 2003 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 15
I generally don't like box sets/greatest hits packages, but some really nice ones I have are the three CD CSN one (no longer marketed as a boxset, but as a 3 CD import without the booklet), Jefferson Airplane's 2400 Fulton Street (excellent) and especially the Byrds box set.

Springsteen's 1975/1985 is a box set, at least it was originally. This album is responsible for many of the early CD player sales-many people bought a CD player just to hear this.

I also like the Bod Dylan bootleg series. Volume 4 is the famous Royal Albert Hall concert from 1966 and I think its a fascinating listen. I absolutely love the opening acoustic set. As far as the infamous electric set goes, well I can see why fans were upset.

Personally I don't really care for The Last Waltz that much, musically. Its an excellent concert film, well worth watching, but for repeated listening I'd rather hear the artists with their regular bands than The Band acting like a generic houseband.

Finally, if your tastes run to real country music, the Merle Haggard 4 cd box set "Down Every Road" is a must buy. Merle is a true legend, but he had a habit of releasing an album with one or two stellar songs and ten fillers. This boxset is just the primo stuff.

I imagine there will be several new Johnny Cash boxs out, since he is such a big seller now since his passing. Properly done, this would be well worth getting.

Dec 3, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
All of the box sets put out by Mosaic Records and Bear Family are worth getting.

I have 4 Bill Monroe Box sets that Bear Family put out and they sound wonderful. Great collections. Not only is the audio top-notch, they include great books large pictures and great detail about Bill and his backup band.

Dec 3, 2003 at 11:31 PM Post #14 of 15
Some box sets I have and would recommend:

Janis Joplin - A Box Of Perls - definitive Janis, five cds in this one.

Willie Dixon - The Chess Box - this one is nice because it's really a who's who of Chicago blues from the 50's and 60's doing songs that Dixon wrote for them. Dixon plays bass on a lot of the tracks but there's a little of everything here. I'd also second the recommendation for the Muddy Waters Chess Box.

Santana - Dance of the Rainbow Serpent - This is a good overview of Santana's body of work up to 1995 when it was released.

Bob Marley - Songs of Freedom - This one is for Marley fans who want to go beyond the greatest hits presented on Legend. Not really for the casual fan but I'm not a casual Marley fan.

Bob Dylan - Biograph - A classic box set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back