Box Envy
Aug 12, 2011 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Fidelity_Fiend

New Head-Fier
So I just got a new pair of k702's (no debates about the sound please, I cannot be bothered) and I am very happy with them. The thing is, I have box envy. My tube amp is sat on solid granite and looks sexy, my cd player is a sleek brushed metal affair and my headphones are in cardboard :frowning2:. I have been thinking of making a box out of bubinga and then lining it with blue silk (similarish to a he90 box, but with nicer wood). I fancy that if I make it a decent size (and the 702s are hardly compact) it could also house headphones of the future. 

I wondered if any of you guys had whipped up your own fancy boxes or are considering doing so. If anyone wants to tantalise with plans of their own or even pictures that would be great! Encourage my headphone box fetish!

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 4
I would start with a vintage suitcase myself, but I just like the aesthetic. Also, why not just a nice stand rather than a box? (or both!)

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 4
Cheers guys - 

Armaegis - The reason I chose box above stand are twofold. Firstly, I don't find the akg's particularly lend themselves to being hung. If done by the leather headband they tend to fall in on themselves and I do not particularly fancy hanging them by the biwire cables. Secondly, I have grandiose plans (that exceed my meagre skills) of making my girlfriend a fancy jewelry box for her birthday. Wanna make it out of nice wood, line and monogram it, so I thought if I had some left over I would do something more simple for myself. Nonetheless a vintage suitcase is a cool idea. 

Uncle Erik, forgive my stupidity, but im guessing Taunton is a publisher?

Thanks for the help guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back