Bowls, Flats, whats next!?
Nov 21, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #16 of 26
Headphile cpads might do it, but the sound is quite different. I have only heard unported betas on 325i's and they were a bit too bassy and congested in the mids for me.However, there are quite a few more options for the cpads now in terms of porting, size of ports, alpha, beta, zeta etc... you really have to try these in any configuration to hear if the basic sound signature is for you. One thing is for sure though, soundstage is enhanced, as is comfort. Also they are quite attractive as objects, but I don't like the way they look on the phones. I prefer the true Grado 'It's 1912 and the Titanic is sinking, SOS, telegraph guy' look.

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #17 of 26
Im not so sure if im going to be buying larry's pads... Im sorry for 100$ i think its a little hard to justify...

Ive done some exparaments, im going to be making my own pad using 2 sets of bowls.

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #18 of 26
I really enjoy the Senn 414 pads on my RS-2's. I also have a SLAM, and the Senn pads retain most of the power / impact of a flat and are much more comfortable. I use the flats on occasion, but the Senn pads are on most of the time. They are a great deal also, something like 5 bucks a pair, IIRC.

I have the VWAP pads also, and don't like them much. The are almost too soft for a flat, because it puts alot more pressure on the ear. The regular flats are more comfortable.

My 2 cents

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #19 of 26
I have a lot of bowl pads laying around (replace them on the HP-2 every few months), im putting together a new pad. So far, with just a little work, ive managed to make something that has the impact of a flat, but with the midrange definition of a bowl. Its quite good sounding, like the best of both worlds. The one thing i love the most is it has the same volume preff as the flat, unlike a bowl were i need to blare the HP-2's for normal listening. It also has NO treble sibliance that the bowls tend to have (that ringing annoying peircing high). Im waiting for more flats to come in so i can play some more.

Rhydon.

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #20 of 26
check the NYC meet impressions thread for the HP2s with Zeta Port Cpads. The only two negatives I heard were that it made the Grado sound like a very "ungrado-like" grado (which is good for some folks, not for others, hehe. not certain if that means it makes it sound more senn-like, oh no!) and that rat shack pads help bring out that bass more than Cpads (true, the cpads keep the drivers away from your ears so you wont get as much bass in your ear). Salt Peanuts had his HF1s with Cpads too, nice reviews in the same thread on em too!

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
Maybe you just need another brand of headphone???

- augustwest

I am thinking about doing this myself. Seriously, I don't want to be just another Grado complainer, but when other great headphones are out there that are actually comfortable, higher build quality, I just feel I should go in that direction. In terms of SQ Grado's rock, but there are a lot of other factors not related to audio that I think really hurt Grado's market share

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
I am thinking about doing this myself. Seriously, I don't want to be just another Grado complainer, but when other great headphones are out there that are actually comfortable, higher build quality, I just feel I should go in that direction. In terms of SQ Grado's rock, but there are a lot of other factors not related to audio that I think really hurt Grado's market share

i admit to getting the wandering ear as well. but you know, i always return to ye olde Grado, even from the STAX, et. al.

Nov 21, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87

Yeah, im pretty comfortable with Grado as a company (pun intended). Ive tried Senn's and hated, tried AKG with no love, and ive tried sony with abismal results. Im not ready to drop serious amounts of cash on a STAX and I keep comming back to Grado. I could EASILY get by with just bowls or flats, but the truth is your always yearning for something different. You always want to hear improvments and you always adapt to them. My HP-2's have to be the best sounding headphone i have heard (havnt heard stax or orpheus), and they are the perfect investment, not to mention i just had Mr.Grado tweek them for 4 months. I find they are hard to beat in the headphone world when it comes to mixing and mastering audio, the HP-2's just seem to sound right no matter what you play. Even my RS-1's i hold close to my heart. This whole pad thing isnt about comfort, i LOVE the comfort of the bowls and flats, i could wear them all day! In the end it comes down to personal preference, and what i want to hear out of my cans. If i want the balance of a bowl and the impact of a flat, well then its up to me to make it happen! and i dont mind that either.

Nov 21, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon
I have a lot of bowl pads laying around (replace them on the HP-2 every few months), im putting together a new pad. So far, with just a little work, ive managed to make something that has the impact of a flat, but with the midrange definition of a bowl. Its quite good sounding, like the best of both worlds. The one thing i love the most is it has the same volume preff as the flat, unlike a bowl were i need to blare the HP-2's for normal listening. It also has NO treble sibliance that the bowls tend to have (that ringing annoying peircing high). Im waiting for more flats to come in so i can play some more.

Rhydon.

So....... How'd you do it?

Nov 21, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #26 of 26
Its hard to explain without the backup of pictures. I dont want to post any final results until i have the extra flats so i can experiment with them as-well.

The trick is distance. The flat is perfect distance for bass response, but for highs its too close. At the same time, the bowls are too far, and their cone shape adds the treble sibilance. I cut the "bowl off the bowl" so i was left with a 1-cm or-so dense flat foam ring (back of the bowl). I then placed this thin dense foam ring over the flat pad. This brought the HP enclosure 1-cm further away from my ear, yet with pressure of wearing the headphone, the pad formed a seal around my ear. The result is the sound of a flat, but with a more defined midrange and proper elevation to the high frequencies. Im also noticing more defined and solid bass, and it still dosent sound thin or stringy like the bowl. While it dosent have the imaging of a bowl, it provides a perfect middle-ground between the two. To me, i think its the most accurate sound, right at the best of both worlds. I want to try the same thing with my flat pads, cutting off the back of the flatpad and overlaying the top over the top of the flat attached to the HP-2, almost like a flat-pad extension.

Now, your probably asking my why i just didnt try reverse bowls... i did. These sound totally different. Much better in comparison. Reverse bowls just didnt do it for me sound wise, and there far to uncomfortable to wear long-term. These enhanced flat pads are perfect in the comfort department, and they sound just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back