Bowls, Flats, whats next!?
Nov 21, 2005 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Rhydon

MOT: Symphones
Just getting over the experience with flats. While they offer a radically different sound then the Bowls, i find i am in need of something more...

Is there any middle-ground between the flats and bowls (dont anyone say reverse bowls, thats just common sense), but is there anything out there that allows me to retain the impact of the bowls, while tap into the sound-staging and midrange definition of the bowls?

Note: one thing i LOVE about flats is they dont make me run the drivers as hard. I find with flats, since the driver is closer to your ear, you dont have to crank them up as much.- i really like this, tho i dont know if there is anything out there that would let me do this but still keep the benefits of the bowls....

Just a question

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 26
From what I know, you only have 2 choices left, comfies or the Senn pads. I dont know what either sound like, so I cant give you much of a recommendation.
EDIT: Damn, Forgot about C-Pads. Those things look really comfortable!

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #3 of 26
i have bowls, senn 414, and comfies for my sr80's
senns: more bass (a bit muddy tho) less highs
comfies: dont bother, i find these to make the sr80's sound worse than my ksc75's
if you think your grados are too bright i would try the 414's (as far as i know this is the closest to being in "between" flats and bowls

hope this helps
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 26
i also put my ksc75 pads on my grado's
this made NO bass as there was no seal on my ear
it was very uncomfortable
they were just plain terrable

that should be completley different from your usual grado sound
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 26
Ive been going back and fourth between pads with my HF-1 recently and have settled on the modified 414 pads (vwaps) over bowls and Comfies.

Other options include flats from todd (some say they're the middle ground but I cant afford to try @ $30 a pop)
and custom pads from Larry wich add more bass and soundsatge but according to others can make the bass sound congested
blink.gif

thats about it, iirc Jahn liked the HF-1's with modified Radioshack pads

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon
Lol!

What about Larry's pads? Anyone ever try those?

yep thats what you need to get. Ask jahn about what he uses with the HP-2. I think the selling of my gilmore lite might finance the purchase of some C-pads, idk aggghgh so many decisions

Nov 21, 2005 at 7:15 AM Post #10 of 26
I just about own most of the pads, and for a couple of reasons, I inexorably always return to Todd's Flats; so will you; J/K. That “snap & pop” you feel while using them, for me, constitutes liveliness and engagement.

My second choice is Larry's Zeta Flats. The Zetas are unable to match the “snap & pop” I get from Todd’s Flats, but they add more perceived soundstage to the musical experience. I believe the bowls are the same as the Zetas when it comes to the “snap & pop”, but they have less perceived soundstage. The soundstage lies between Todd’s and Larry’s Flats. If soundstage is what you want then you should give the Zeta Flats a try.

Nov 21, 2005 at 7:53 AM Post #11 of 26
Have you tried washing the OEM bowls in baby shampoo a few times? It softens them so the drivers sit closer you the ears, and increases comfort.

Thats my preference on my MS2.

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #12 of 26
Squashed bowls. Leave the bowl pads under some heavy books for a day or 2, then put them back on and try them out. I'm told that the pads will rebound back to normal within a week or 2 so if you don't like it, you won't be writing off any pads. If you like it and want to make it permanent, soak the pads in hot water for a bit then squish them under the heavy books.

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon

Is there any middle-ground between the flats and bowls (dont anyone say reverse bowls, thats just common sense), but is there anything out there that allows me to retain the impact of the bowls, while tap into the sound-staging and midrange definition of the bowls?

Try wrapping some Scotch tape around the outside edge of each bowl and experiment to find what you're looking for. For me it gives the bowls the bass of reverse bowls but still retains the soundstage that flats diffuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back