Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Jul 13, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #2,881 of 2,912
The PX can play end-to-end digital when using a USB cable; I was under the impression this should sound the best since it avoids both possible transcoding/compression (Bluetooth codecs) and a second digital-to-analog conversion (aux). To my ear, both the PX and the PX7 always sounded a bit better (and certainly louder) via USB.

Jul 14, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #2,882 of 2,912
Jul 14, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #2,883 of 2,912
Telephony isn't available via this kind of cable.
Telephony is only available in option : Bluetooth.
I might be wrong, but wouldn't this cable basically be acting as a splitter between the in-line mic (line in) and stereo headphones (line out)? From the PC/phone's perspective, it's still making the necessary connections for stereo out and line-in. The PX's microphone doesn't need to transmit sound

Jul 17, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #2,884 of 2,912
I would like to share my thoughts on the PX and a brief comparison between them and the new PX7.

193 pages on this thread and I’ve read them all, most of what people complained (and appreciate) about the PX I can relate to. I've had my PX for about 2 years and in the beginning, it was a rollercoaster ride on whether I hate… (well maybe hate is a little extreme), let’s just say “really dislike them” or love them. You can’t wear them comfortably with glasses, the earpads are too hard and thin, they are heavy and, in the beginning, I thought they were a bit dull sounding. BUT, they do become more comfortable over time and whether I “broke them in” or just became used to the way they sound, I REALLY love them now.
I'm a sound engineer by profession, so I've had my fair share of testing different headphones.
After 20 years in the industry I often know what to “listen” for (technically) in a recording, BUT this is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own of course.

If I had to “summarize” the PX in one word, I’d have to say that they are "flat", so much so that I dare mix recordings with them at times. They are REALLY transparent, almost as much as my studio monitors.
Obviously, this is not the case whilst using ANC, apart from the “office” setting, the other two modes affect the SQ way too much compared to the competition.

B&W took a completely different approach to the PX7. From the lighter frame, softer and thicker earpads right down to the sound signature. What I was expecting was the same neutral sound that the PX had, just a lighter more comfortable headphone with improved ANC. Even though it ticked all of the boxes it did not have the same sound signature. To my surprise the PX7 is the complete opposite. Way too much low end and way too much highs (in my opinion). With the PX you can really push them without getting your ear canals pierced by the high end or your head lobbed off by the low end. To be honest, I was actually a bit disappointed. It was like someone took the EQ and just pushed both ends as high as they could go.
Again, this was just my experience, my wife on the other hand prefers them to the PX and I think it’s because the PX7 sounds more “exciting” than the PX. Maybe that was B&W’s whole idea.
In the end, I returned the PX7’s. I appreciate the “honest” sound of the PX’s much more now.

I would really like someone else to share their thoughts if they had the same experience with the PX7’s or perhaps also made a comparison between the two like I did.

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #2,885 of 2,912
I might be wrong, but wouldn't this cable basically be acting as a splitter between the in-line mic (line in) and stereo headphones (line out)? From the PC/phone's perspective, it's still making the necessary connections for stereo out and line-in. The PX's microphone doesn't need to transmit sound
Maybe not all cables were not able to match PC/phone very well.
The agents and distributors answered me that they’ve taken some trials but failed.

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #2,886 of 2,912
2 Revisions of PX !!

I don't know if it's still of interest (since the PX has been discontinued & replaced with the boomy sounding & cheap looking PX7) but I was able to compare the PX with soft fabric pouch and another (newer) one which came with the leather case.... They are upgraded! Concrete that means the newer ones come with bigger & softer earpads with a broader contact surface and those new pads not only feel A LOT more comfortable but also let the PX sound better since the former slight sibilance in the 's' tones is softened! Plus the headband leather padding is also like 2 times thicker.

So the upgraded version has that beautiful case + better pads +better sound +MUCH more comfort especially at the ears.

Highly recommended!

Would you please share the photos with me about 2 revisions of pads and case? And the purchase date of 2 cans?
Not sure the PX the distributor owns is V1.0 or V2.0

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #2,889 of 2,912
Is there any chance to buy earpads of new revision from B&W or anywhere?
The "newer" revision of PX including new earpads and hard case actually is just for Emirates, not the standard version for sale.

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #2,890 of 2,912
They are both 40mm from what I know. Maybe that's where the similarities end
From the description of AMAZON, it says
FEEL MORE OF YOUR MUSIC - Built with the same drive units from our P9 Signature headphones, the PX provides optimized listening performance. We have also subtly angled the drivers to provide a more natural stereo perspective.

Not sure if it is confirmed officially or not.
Anyhow, the adjustments between PX and P9 are different in sub-bass based on frequency response.

Sep 13, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #2,892 of 2,912
They are both 40mm from what I know. Maybe that's where the similarities end

They were based off of the P9 drivers, but are not the P9 drivers. Companies do this all the time. They spend a lot of time and money developing a flagship product, then some time later take what they learned and apply some of it to a more affordable product.

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #2,893 of 2,912
These dropped to a price that was too tempting on Amazon so I picked up a set. Sound quality is excellent, the ANC is not quite at Sony or Bose levels though but is ok. I have seen lots of comments on comfort and no they are not as comfortable as the QC35s or Sony's but a big plus I have discovered is these do not cook my ears like the others (especially the Sony's) do, I wore them on a walk yesterday and not a hint of any sweat on the cups when I finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back