Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Aug 17, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #2,356 of 2,912
It seems like you read my comment on Bluetooth much more black & white than I intended.
I didn't dimiss the medium at all. Actually, I'm very surprised that it works (read sounds) so much better than I expected. But that said, currently BT is still the weakest link and bottleneck in the chain between the source file/data and your headphones (apart from the obvious discussion about the quality of the other parts involved in the chain). Hence the emerging of better BT codecs like AptX HD and LDAC. But as said, it works good with AAC and AptX too.
Apologies if it sounded like I was jumping down your throat. But yeah, while BT still has some ways to go, it's made huge strides. To be quite honest, AAC is just fine, and you also need to take into account the audio tuning of each headphone. The Sony XM2s can do LDAC but they still don't sound as clean as the PXes.
I think several of the things talked about here would be resolved with break in... As the pads have gotten very cushy for me and I never have any issue with loosing seal at all. I eat most meals with them on and I go on walks with them as well. They also do a great job of not getting hot either. As long as I am not sweating they do not cause sweat.

I literally wear these headphones for 8 - 10 hours off and on throughout day. wearing them several hours at a time without issue.

I just wanted to share my experience as I was almost pushed away from even trying them after hearing people complain about the seal and fit. However I am super glad I gave them a try... as anyone on the fence should too. everyone is different.
I've had the PXes since launch and they were my daily driver for a good 2-3 months, with me continuing to use them regularly for another few more. Surely the pads must have broken in by then? Just as this thread has its fair share of satisfied users, I think we should also recognize that the PX has fit issues and isn't going to work for everybody.

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #2,357 of 2,912
Apologies if it sounded like I was jumping down your throat. But yeah, while BT still has some ways to go, it's made huge strides. To be quite honest, AAC is just fine, and you also need to take into account the audio tuning of each headphone. The Sony XM2s can do LDAC but they still don't sound as clean as the PXes.

I've had the PXes since launch and they were my daily driver for a good 2-3 months, with me continuing to use them regularly for another few more. Surely the pads must have broken in by then? Just as this thread has its fair share of satisfied users, I think we should also recognize that the PX has fit issues and isn't going to work for everybody.
Yep, they barely fit my head for me. Not the clamp, just the adjustments were already maxed out and it was still a tight fit.
Still, they were great sounding headphones. I just couldn’t go and have my jas hurt after half an hour using them, and believe me, I tried to use them. Breaking them in did nothing for me personally.
I’m going to try the Amiron Wireless and see how I like them. I’ll probably pair it with an Oppo HA-2SE for semi portable use.
(Oh, and. The PXs sound far better than the H9is in my personal use). In case someone was wondering

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #2,358 of 2,912
Aug 17, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #2,359 of 2,912
The official communication doesn't say it has been, but it definitely has been!

Citation: http://bowersandwilkinsus.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3959/~/px-firmware-release-history

Release: v1.110 - August 2018

• Improvements made to proximity sensing function.
  • Fixes an issue related to audio connection drop outs.

I updated as well.. How do you all feel like it had been improved? In what way? I have noticed I am enjoying them a bit more for whatever reason since updating but. didn't really think about it.

Aug 17, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #2,360 of 2,912
Placebo, seriously. Sometimes updates are not going to address anything that has anything to do with sound quality. There are just plumbing updates that need doing.

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #2,362 of 2,912
yah. for the most part the prox sensors work good for me. sometimes they don't pause but it's rare.

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #2,364 of 2,912
I agree with XRcrush,
AAC is just fine and I don’t think most people could distinguish it with aptX HD. Not to mention that AAC has some unspoken benefits anyways.

And in my opinion, I’d rather have an iOS device with “worse” Bluetooth audio than an Android any day.
I agree with most of this, however, I still have an LG G6 (Quad DAC Version) for the 3.5mm to drive my HD 600. LG makes some of the best smartphones for audio hobbyists. Nowadays, the term "audiophile" has such a fractured definition, and in many cases, self-proclaimed "audiophiles" are essentially those that enjoy bright, bass-less sound signatures. I mean, seriously, the music doesn't sound that way to the musician! Yeah, like Drake TOTALLY intended that bass drop to sound like weak sauce.

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #2,368 of 2,912
I use mine with an LG G6 too. The quad dac and 3.5mm connection is what led me to sell my iPhone. I really dislike android as a phone but I phones can't compete with it's wired sound.
I love listening to my PX. Yes they are quirky but they sound so good. I don't really notice the quirks anymore anyway.

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #2,369 of 2,912
I LOVE mine.

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #2,370 of 2,912
Is there anybody left in this thread that actually enjoys the PX.
LOL, Unsane in the membrane!

Man, they are without a doubt one of the best sounding wireless headphones, so to that extent, they are pretty awesome.

I would certainly re-purchase if they add a thicker/wider ear pad for secondary purchase. Since it's easily removable, even from a purely business standpoint, I would think this is just an opportunity they're passing on. Most people that buy the PX are not worrying about their next meal, so why not give that consumer more options to customize?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back