Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Aug 13, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #2,326 of 2,912
Is anyone else experiencing distortion while using the 3.5mm audio cable with an iOS device on the two loudest notches? Especially in bass.
EDIT:
I’m afraid I might’ve damaged the drivers. I listened to the distortion for perhaps 30 seconds, and now the headphones seem to produce less bass? Is that possible or am I just imagining it? Or maybe I’m just deaf lol (just kidding)
Maybe it’s not quite distortion, but there’s a crazy amount of bass on those high volume levels. It goes from 0-100 with one volume tick. I doubt that anything really happened, but they get crazy loud and pretty distorted on those volume levels which scares me about any potential damage.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #2,327 of 2,912
I don't even know anymore with all of the issues you keep bringing up. Just enjoy the headphones. . I. don't know what to tell ya.

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #2,328 of 2,912
Not a bad headphone, I’m on my third pair of PXs. Two from the same store, one from a different one. I’ve tried on two iPhone 8 Plus models and both have the same issue, so I’m postitive it’s not either the phone or the headphones.
It really varies on music though, some songs don’t have it while others do.

Is anyone else experiencing distortion while using the 3.5mm audio cable with an iOS device on the two loudest notches? Especially in bass.
EDIT:
I’m afraid I might’ve damaged the drivers. I listened to the distortion for perhaps 30 seconds, and now the headphones seem to produce less bass? Is that possible or am I just imagining it? Or maybe I’m just deaf lol (just kidding)
Maybe it’s not quite distortion, but there’s a crazy amount of bass on those high volume levels. It goes from 0-100 with one volume tick. I doubt that anything really happened, but they get crazy loud and pretty distorted on those volume levels which scares me about any potential damage.

Hmm, I was going to suggest trying a different store but you already did that. I tried Amazon Music with my Pixel 2 XL and noticed - very - faint occasional popping while nothing is playing. Never happens when music or any other sound is playing even at near minimum volume. Not an issue for me. I'm not insane enough to put these at max volume so I can't test that, haha. If you put any speaker at absolute maximum volume for extended periods of time, I'm pretty sure it's just a bad idea, for the speaker(s) sake.

Have you considered trying the newly released NAD VISO HP70 wireless? Or also the PSB M4U 8 which is its cousin. As I said earlier, the HP50 that I tried and returned was giant and hung off of my head. The HP70 is the same just wireless, very large. Maybe try those on for size?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #2,331 of 2,912
I’ve brought up only two issues, the popping noise and distortion. Kinda hard to enjoy them if you’re worried about them being damaged.
I’d probably go dead before these got damaged anyways, and I’m sure that simply playing them at high volumes while wired can’t do any harm, but.. try it for yourself if you have an iOS device. It’s actuslly very strange.

I am enjoying these headphones a lot, these two issues I’m having are mostly me just worrying and wanting peace of mind in all honesty

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #2,332 of 2,912
I get terrible static noise when they are used while charging from any plugged in source especially if I touch them with my hands. It's fine from say a laptop that isn't plugged in and running on it's battery . I just don't use them like this anymore, once charged they last bloody ages anyway.
I use aptx sometimes but they sound way better plugged in.

Aug 14, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #2,333 of 2,912
The funny thing is, I'm really tolerant when it comes to headphone comfort. I've had tons of Audeze over the years and didn't mind the weight. The VModa press my ears down and that doesn' feel good. What killed it for me with the PX was just how easy they were to dislodge. I legit would be eating and every time my jaw moved it nudged one of the ear pads and boom the seal was gone. Lord help me if I put on a pair of glasses. Like I'll muscle through some discomfort for great sound, but when even the smallest thing disrupts the audio... yeah, no thanks.
I totally agree. Just got the PX, turned on a movie last night with my Subway Sandwiches and began to chomp away. Well, hot damn, the seal would break at every bite and re-position to an unwearable angle. I had to tighten them up and it got really uncomfortable, but I was able to finish the movie. On the fence about returning. I listen to tons of music at work and home, but I also like to watch movies/TV and eat with my headphones. This makes me kind of sad. :frowning2:

As far as the sound (ANC off), it's amazing over AAC w/ an iPhone 7 Plus. I have the P7W as well and can confirm these are a different animal. The PX sound much more balanced and refined with a far better soundstage. The ANC is acceptable and about average in terms of effectiveness, although it does kill SQ quite a bit. However, given the P7W were priced the same and the PX arguably sound better, I view ANC as a bonus, not a deciding factor. I already have the 1000XM2 and Bose QC35 for business/leisure trips. Yes, I have a headphone problem.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #2,334 of 2,912
How often are you actually shoving dead flesh into your chew box? I haven't found it to be that big of deal, i eat most meals with them on.

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #2,335 of 2,912
I just tried these after putting them down for a while. I don't know if it's the firmware flash I just did but they sound fantastic, even in office mode. I'm not sure I remember them sounding this good and I'm wondering if it's the firmware. More likely it's because I've been listening to some Bose ANC earbuds my sister gave me and these just sound so much better in comparison.

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #2,336 of 2,912
I just tried these after putting them down for a while. I don't know if it's the firmware flash I just did but they sound fantastic, even in office mode. I'm not sure I remember them sounding this good and I'm wondering if it's the firmware. More likely it's because I've been listening to some Bose ANC earbuds my sister gave me and these just sound so much better in comparison.
Good, on this go right to the next shop and order one PX bro! :gs1000smile:

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #2,337 of 2,912
How often are you actually shoving dead flesh into your chew box? I haven't found it to be that big of deal, i eat most meals with them on.

That's just one example. The problem is that literally anything other than looking straight ahead with your jaw unmoving can break the seal and **** up the sound. Turning my head would cause a seal break when my neck muscles flexed. Glasses broke the seal. Couldn't chew gum while I wore them. If every single little movement or shift in position causes a seal break, that's a problem.

The glasses thing was the complete dealbreaker. If it's a sunny day and I feel like walking the dog or taking him to the park, I shouldn't have to decide between putting on sunglasses or wearing my headphones. I'm grateful I wear contact lenses, I tried wearing them with my actual glasses and it was just unbearable.

Like I've said elsewhere, they're an amazing sounding headphone that seems to have been designed without any regard for the whole "mobile" aspect to them. Like they were tested just by people standing in one place rather than sticking them on someone and letting them go about a normal day while listening.

The ANC was a non-issue, like I've said elsewhere I have the Crossfade 2 now and they don't have ANC at all. It's the damn pads on these. They're barely pads, just a tiny layer of nearly nothing covering the hard plastic frame. As a result, they can't fit and shape to anything but a flat surface and that's how all the problems arise. Now, if you're someone who only listens to your headphones in limited situations or controlled settings, I've no doubts the PX are a dream. I wear my headphones for probably 6 hours a day, and that's not counting the 2 hours with my other headphones at the gym or the fact that I sleep with a third pair of headphones in.

I wish they weren't like that. The PX have such a great sound and holy damn the space and imaging they give is unbelievable, plus they look marvelous and I really like the proximity sensor. I just found myself far too often getting frustrated by the sound going in and out and it broke my heart to return them.

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #2,338 of 2,912
That's just one example. The problem is that literally anything other than looking straight ahead with your jaw unmoving can break the seal and **** up the sound. Turning my head would cause a seal break when my neck muscles flexed. Glasses broke the seal. Couldn't chew gum while I wore them. If every single little movement or shift in position causes a seal break, that's a problem.

The glasses thing was the complete dealbreaker. If it's a sunny day and I feel like walking the dog or taking him to the park, I shouldn't have to decide between putting on sunglasses or wearing my headphones. I'm grateful I wear contact lenses, I tried wearing them with my actual glasses and it was just unbearable.

Like I've said elsewhere, they're an amazing sounding headphone that seems to have been designed without any regard for the whole "mobile" aspect to them. Like they were tested just by people standing in one place rather than sticking them on someone and letting them go about a normal day while listening.

The ANC was a non-issue, like I've said elsewhere I have the Crossfade 2 now and they don't have ANC at all. It's the damn pads on these. They're barely pads, just a tiny layer of nearly nothing covering the hard plastic frame. As a result, they can't fit and shape to anything but a flat surface and that's how all the problems arise. Now, if you're someone who only listens to your headphones in limited situations or controlled settings, I've no doubts the PX are a dream. I wear my headphones for probably 6 hours a day, and that's not counting the 2 hours with my other headphones at the gym or the fact that I sleep with a third pair of headphones in.

I wish they weren't like that. The PX have such a great sound and holy damn the space and imaging they give is unbelievable, plus they look marvelous and I really like the proximity sensor. I just found myself far too often getting frustrated by the sound going in and out and it broke my heart to return them.

I gave up on them also... stuck with airpods for a while and then got Beoplay H9 on a great deal for $300... Super comfy

Aug 16, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #2,339 of 2,912

Exactly my experience. Everyone's head is obviously shaped differently, but the PX were not designed to adapt, as many other headphones do. I have numerous headphones, none of which I had this issue with. The ear pad footprint is laughably small, coupled with somewhat of a raised top-heavy design, they are a recipe for a hot dish of wobble. Even lounging back in my La-Z-Boy, they slip & slide causing me to frequently adjust, even with casual, small movements here and there.

Let me make it clear, they sound absolutely fabulous (ANC off), but I had to return due to the lack of versatility in even a casual environment. Picked up the B&O H9i instead, which is far more comfortable and sounds incredible as well.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #2,340 of 2,912
Don't mean to join the dogpiling on the PX, but I've also sold my pair. My H9, Sony MX2, and old P7W are all still here and I absolutely hated selling off the PX but they had to go. I've never owned a pair of portable headphones as aggressively anti-portable as the PXes. We all know the cons of the PX by now so there's no point in me bringing them up again but I do hope that B&W designs their next ANC can with more thought put into comfort and portability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back