Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Aug 7, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #2,311 of 2,912
The app for me is temperamental, some times accurate and others way off. Android 8 has been the most accurate but even that sometimes is slightly off. Tbh honest I don't even check now as the display of percentage is not exactly precise with increments of 30%. I just wait till the red light flashes and then give it a one hour charge.

Aug 8, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #2,312 of 2,912
Okay, so I purchased a second pair at Best Buy.
They have the same exact issue - if you change the volume while wireless, on *some* songs, you hear a clicking or a little static pop. It's very, very faint but I don't know why it's there. I can definitely hear it though.
I'm using an iPhone 8 Plus with the latest iOS.
EDIT:
Really, any help is very much appreciated. I really love these headphones, and I don't want to be forced to buy the B&O H9i for a similar experience.

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #2,313 of 2,912
Not picking it up on my pair neither when changing volume on the iPod or the PX, nor when listening to MP3 or ALAC (all through AAC though). Tried the different ANC profiles as well. Tried on various other devices, Sony WM1A, Shanling M0 no such luck with SBC codecs or APTX and APTX-HD. However...

Are you sure you not actually catching the sound of a percussion instrument with the change in volume? The iDevices tend to have fairly large increments which may magnify this sound. In fact I first thought I was hearing the sounds you described (the click) when I first tried to replicate your issue. I realised after 10 minutes of trying variations across the volume band with different tracks that it was only produced when the music was at a low level and only when timed with a percussion hit. If it's related to this it may explain why you're only hearing it on some songs. Of course this is IMO.

regards,

Giles

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #2,314 of 2,912
In my experience it's device specific. Clicks occur occasionally when using android 9 and using the volume on the phone. I have never had any clicks from my MacBook Pro or Sony Nwa45 volume adjustments.

I have had a few pairs of PXs and the click/glitch noise was present on every pair. It's no big deal, just enjoy the music as I think after a few weeks use the issue hopefully won't bother you as much as you will be lost in the sounds from these cans. Still 2 months and look forward to picking them up.

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #2,315 of 2,912
I appreciate all of the help.
Thanks guys.
It may be percussion, but it sounds a lot like static. Maybe it just makes that sound with specific sounds, I don't know. Not really an audiophile, I just appreciate good sounding music.

I've got a concern, and it's pretty odd. Basically, my first pair of headphones seemed to have very minimal or very subsided bass. It was pretty calm, and listening to hip hop didn't do the headphones any justice.
With my second pair, the bass seems to pop *way* more?
EDIT:
They sound fine. I shouldn't be worrying. They just sound quite a bit more bassy than my previous pair, but I'm not complaining. Sorry for asking all these weird questions.
Also, there's tons of distortion if I play on the highest 2 volumes while using the included 3.5mm audio cable. Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #2,316 of 2,912
Just a side note - H9i is not a similar experience in my experience at least. The h9i sounded fantastic with the cable and a proper amp connected... But on Bluetooth at least the set I had sounded like trash - they distorted bad on the top end . they sounded dull. but, when they were connected with cable to my JDS Labs amp... they sounded awesome. but that sort of defeats the purpose.

The Bowers PX have sort of changed the way I take in audio. All my other headphones are bright and have some sibilance. I didn't realize how bad before the smoothness of the PX. It has made me back off treble in most of my setups as I used to crank it.

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #2,317 of 2,912
I really value the Bluetooth aspect. I just want some great sounding music with the convenience of being wireless, and the PX fits me well. Being able to conveniently listen at school or work is very useful. I don’t really have a need for noise canceling all that often, but it’s nice to have. I’ve looked at other wireless options like the Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless, or the Audio Technica DSR9BT, but I don’t know if I’ll notice a $100-300 difference in sound anyways.
So far the PXs have done me pretty well. The fit is alright, I just wish they were a little bigger. I don’t have that wide of a head, but the PX only fit me if I extend them to the maximum, which is sort of disappointing but at least it does fit. I could probably go 3/4 cm in on each sides, but it becomes pretty snug then. I’m sure it’ll become a little more stretched out like my old pair.

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #2,318 of 2,912
I've not experienced the clicking or faint static pop that you allude to, Shoeski. I've only ever used my PX wirelessly through the iPhone 7 Plus. Never plugged them in as, like you say, sort of defeats the object of Bluetooth and I've killed so many wired headsets through catching the wire on something or another. I would forget about the wire in my estimations and regularly cause fatal damage. Not any more.

The fast charge is exceptional. The vice-like grip of the PX has tempered over the last four months and I've found comfort through correct positioning of the phones. I purchased two year accidental damage insurance as back-up for £30 at time of purchase which isn't such a bad deal particularly as the PX will travel far and wide over the next two years.

I'm not always listening to high definition music but my favourite online channels still produce an enjoyable experience through the PX.

Simply put, I love them.

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #2,319 of 2,912
I’ll test my friend’s iPhone 7 and see if the issue pursues. I’ve already tried it on two phones, so I doubt it’s the device.
I might give them one more shot by exchanging for yet another pair, but if they suffer from the same issue then I’ll just live with it or look at other headphones due to PXs comfort/size. This issue is extremely peculiar and only happens on some songs. One song where it happens a *lot* is changes by xxxtentacion, but it doesn’t really impact me because I’m not that big of a fan of the genre or the song anyways. Other songs don’t have the issue at all.
I’ve heard of people losing seal when turning their heads. I don’t experience that at all, thankfully. But the headphones are pretty dang snug even on the highest setting which kind of makes me want to look into more comfortable options if the popping issue continues.
I’ve been looking into the B&O H9i, but I’ve heard of them having a decent amount of issues and sound quality not being up to par to the PXs or having too much sibilance in the highs. What’s very inconvenient for me, though, is that my Best Buy lets you try on the headphones but you can’t listen to them because the setup they have going there isn’t operational. That means I have to go off of comfort alone, and have to go through the pain of purchasing them and seeing how they sound for myself.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #2,320 of 2,912
Okay,
Sorry for the double post but I just tried on the H9i at Best Buy, and..
They’re not comfortable. They don’t fit very snugly, and they’re on ear headphones for me. Both the top of my ear and earlobe were under the earcup and the top of my ear would rub against the seams. I put it on for about five minutes, and apart from being a little softer and lighter they don’t fit as well. The sliders are nicer though, and they go up to a much higher size than the PXs for bigger heads, but my PXs fit alright.
The only thing that intrigued be about those was comfort, and I didn’t get it when I tried them. Looks like I’ll be sticking to the PXs.

Aug 12, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #2,321 of 2,912
Just picked up the B&W PX at my local Best Buy about 1.5 days ago. Also have been using the Sony WH1000MX2 for the past year. I'm by no means an audiophile, but I've found some music to just sound a bit muddy on the Sony and want to try something new. I've read conflicting reports about whether burn-in is necessary for the PX, my ears definitely hear a major difference. Out of the box I was so disappointed and ready to return them. No bass at all and sounded like tin cans. After 5 hours of pink noise they sounded much better. Sound really opened up and bass is present. I've used them for about 2 hours overall now plus 12 hours of pink noise burn in and counting. They sound fantastic. Sony is definitely a warmer sound with boomier bass, but I'm not hearing any muddying of sounds on the PX and overall the sound is clearer to me. No idea which HP I'll keep, will eventually sell one of them, but I'm very pleased with the PX.

My head is small to average I'd say. My fitted baseball cap size is 7 1/8. The PX gives me a perfect seal and isn't uncomfortable, although I do feel the ear pad on my left ear. Doesn't bother me yet. A major annoyance is that there is a sweet spot with the PX. I need to get them positioned just right over my ears to get the best sound. Sony just fits, as have every other HP I've tried. Jury still deliberating in my mind over the PX, but so far I am pleased. TLDR, burn-in made a major difference in my case.

Aug 12, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #2,322 of 2,912
Good to hear that you like them.
I saw the B&O H9is at Best Buy for $414, and I decided to pick them up. I know I said they were uncomfortable, but I really wanted to give them a try since you can't accurately judge the sound of them through the Best Buy try out stations they have set up.
They look really, really nice. They feel nice too, and are far more comfortable than the PX. That's not to say that they're that comfortable though, since my ears would constantly touch the seams and the headphones wouldn't fully encompass my ears. They are lighter and softer though, which is a win in my book. The sliders are sturdy and are very smooth, which adds to the overall impression of these being a quality product. The only fault in the design in my opinion is the ear cups being too small, forcing some big-eared people to have their ears rub against the seams.

Both these and the PX have sensors which play or stop the music depending on whether you have them on or off. The H9i's didn't work well for me, and tend to take 3-4 seconds to pause when you take them off. This means that anyone around you will get a nice blast of the music you were listing to. Lifting one earcup doesn't work either - they have to be fully off your head for them to work. This, of course, may be just for me since everyone has a different size head. I let the sensors calibrate before putting the headphones on, so it's not a fault on my side. The sensors on the PX almost always worked and rarely messed up. They were quicker to play and stop music too, which I found odd since many reviewers said the opposite. The touch controls weren't all that bad, with the only thing that simply didn't work well being the volume controls. Transparency mode, enabling and disabling noise canceling, and pausing/playing all worked fine. I noticed that I'd sometimes accidentally pause or play the music by touching the earcup when taking the headphones off or putting them on, which wouldn't be a problem on the PXs button controls.

In terms of sound quality, I was very disappointed. I don't consider myself an audiophile at all - I just want my music to sound good. With that being said, everything I say about the sound is my opinion and shouldn't be taken critically. I just don't like how they sound.
The headphones have a very, very shrill and sharp sound on a lot of the highs. It was almost painful to listen to on volumes where I'd consider my PX perfect. They would distort on songs that had a lot of bass, something that my PXs never did. The volume itself is very unimpressive as well, but I'd say it's sufficient on most songs. While using noise canceling, these become extremely sibilant. Someone on the B&O forums pointed out that the song "Like Someone In Love" by Diana Krall has tons of distortion while ANC is on. I tried it out for myself, and it was just painful to listen to. On almost every "s" sound, I would actually wince. With noise canceling off, it's a lot better but still not great. I also noticed that the vocalists aren't as clear or up front as on the PXs. The instrumentals or even the bass of some songs seems like it masks the voice of the artist. I can't really put my finger on it though, but the sound and vocalists seem more masked and not as clear. There's a faint white noise when noise canceling is on too, something that the PXs usually didn't have. You can also hear another white noise when noise canceling is off and when music is playing, but it's nothing major and might just be me.
On the plus side, however, these didn't make the faint static noise for me when I changed the volume like on the PX. This seems to not happen for the majority though, so it doesn't really matter anyways.

In conclusion, these headphones are built very luxuriously but fall short with their features and sound. While their comfort exceeds the PX, they weren't entirely comfortable for me and the sound is not up to par.
Again, please don't take my mini review/comparison critically. It's just my personal opinion.
It looks like I'll be returning these for another pair of PXs. My real only issues with them were the faint static noise (but I'm willing to get past that and ignore it), and the fact that they don't accommodate as large of heads as the H9is.
They just barely fit me well on the largest setting.
But, compared to the plethora of issues that I encountered with the H9is, I'd say the the PXs are a much better choice.

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #2,323 of 2,912
I saw the B&O H9is at Best Buy for $414, and I decided to pick them up. I know I said they were uncomfortable, but I really wanted to give them a try since you can't accurately judge the sound of them through the Best Buy try out stations they have set up.
They look really, really nice. They feel nice too, and are far more comfortable than the PX. That's not to say that they're that comfortable though, since my ears would constantly touch the seams and the headphones wouldn't fully encompass my ears. They are lighter and softer though, which is a win in my book. The sliders are sturdy and are very smooth, which adds to the overall impression of these being a quality product. The only fault in the design in my opinion is the ear cups being too small, forcing some big-eared people to have their ears rub against the seams.

Both these and the PX have sensors which play or stop the music depending on whether you have them on or off. The H9i's didn't work well for me, and tend to take 3-4 seconds to pause when you take them off. This means that anyone around you will get a nice blast of the music you were listing to. Lifting one earcup doesn't work either - they have to be fully off your head for them to work. This, of course, may be just for me since everyone has a different size head. I let the sensors calibrate before putting the headphones on, so it's not a fault on my side. The sensors on the PX almost always worked and rarely messed up. They were quicker to play and stop music too, which I found odd since many reviewers said the opposite. The touch controls weren't all that bad, with the only thing that simply didn't work well being the volume controls. Transparency mode, enabling and disabling noise canceling, and pausing/playing all worked fine. I noticed that I'd sometimes accidentally pause or play the music by touching the earcup when taking the headphones off or putting them on, which wouldn't be a problem on the PXs button controls.

In terms of sound quality, I was very disappointed. I don't consider myself an audiophile at all - I just want my music to sound good. With that being said, everything I say about the sound is my opinion and shouldn't be taken critically. I just don't like how they sound.
The headphones have a very, very shrill and sharp sound on a lot of the highs. It was almost painful to listen to on volumes where I'd consider my PX perfect. They would distort on songs that had a lot of bass, something that my PXs never did. The volume itself is very unimpressive as well, but I'd say it's sufficient on most songs. While using noise canceling, these become extremely sibilant. Someone on the B&O forums pointed out that the song "Like Someone In Love" by Diana Krall has tons of distortion while ANC is on. I tried it out for myself, and it was just painful to listen to. On almost every "s" sound, I would actually wince. With noise canceling off, it's a lot better but still not great. I also noticed that the vocalists aren't as clear or up front as on the PXs. The instrumentals or even the bass of some songs seems like it masks the voice of the artist. I can't really put my finger on it though, but the sound and vocalists seem more masked and not as clear. There's a faint white noise when noise canceling is on too, something that the PXs usually didn't have. You can also hear another white noise when noise canceling is off and when music is playing, but it's nothing major and might just be me.
On the plus side, however, these didn't make the faint static noise for me when I changed the volume like on the PX. This seems to not happen for the majority though, so it doesn't really matter anyways.

In conclusion, these headphones are built very luxuriously but fall short with their features and sound. While their comfort exceeds the PX, they weren't entirely comfortable for me and the sound is not up to par.
Again, please don't take my mini review/comparison critically. It's just my personal opinion.
It looks like I'll be returning these for another pair of PXs. My real only issues with them were the faint static noise (but I'm willing to get past that and ignore it), and the fact that they don't accommodate as large of heads as the H9is.
But, compared to the plethora of issues that I encountered with the H9is, I'd say the the PXs are a much better choice.

Thank you for the comparison, I was curious about the H9i as well. I previously owned the H6 2nd Gen and those were among the best HP I've heard. My problem was the headband. My head is a bit too small and even on the smallest setting I wasn't getting the tightest seal. I would have to bend the headband every time before using them to give me that perfect seal to make the sound pop. I expected the H9i to be the same way and the PX came highly recommended by my local audio shop so I went with B&W. I wish more HP were tailored toward people with smaller heads! Prior to ordering the PX I ordered the NAD VISO HP50 and it was awful. It actually hung off of my head and there was no seal over either ear.

I've burned in the PX for 20+ hours (am done burning in) and have used them for maybe 3 hours of music. Absolutely in love still with the sound. The Sony is much more comfortable, it isn't even close. But the PX doesn't hurt my head or jaw, it's just that the Sony is that much better re: comfort, for me.

I do not experience any static noise or other disruption when adjusting the volume with my PX. Tried them with my iPhone and Pixel 2 XL. Could be a bad HP.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #2,324 of 2,912

That sounds A LOT like the experience I had with the H9i. I REALLLLY wanted to like them because the build and comfort were top notch. But sound on BT was just bad. and the controls are bad too.

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #2,325 of 2,912
Thank you for the comparison, I was curious about the H9i as well. I previously owned the H6 2nd Gen and those were among the best HP I've heard. My problem was the headband. My head is a bit too small and even on the smallest setting I wasn't getting the tightest seal. I would have to bend the headband every time before using them to give me that perfect seal to make the sound pop. I expected the H9i to be the same way and the PX came highly recommended by my local audio shop so I went with B&W. I wish more HP were tailored toward people with smaller heads! Prior to ordering the PX I ordered the NAD VISO HP50 and it was awful. It actually hung off of my head and there was no seal over either ear.

I've burned in the PX for 20+ hours (am done burning in) and have used them for maybe 3 hours of music. Absolutely in love still with the sound. The Sony is much more comfortable, it isn't even close. But the PX doesn't hurt my head or jaw, it's just that the Sony is that much better re: comfort, for me.

I do not experience any static noise or other disruption when adjusting the volume with my PX. Tried them with my iPhone and Pixel 2 XL. Could be a bad HP.
Not a bad headphone, I’m on my third pair of PXs. Two from the same store, one from a different one. I’ve tried on two iPhone 8 Plus models and both have the same issue, so I’m postitive it’s not either the phone or the headphones.
It really varies on music though, some songs don’t have it while others do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back