Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Jul 19, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #2,266 of 2,912
Maybe I should have tried another set.... Because i really wanted to like the h9i. They are definitely more comfy than the PX. I am sorta confused now .

Jul 19, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #2,267 of 2,912
The ANC was off - 100% off.

I have a One Plus 6 phone with AptxHD for source - tho the H9i only does AAC. My best buy would not let people connect to any of the headphones over bluetooth except the Bose and Sony. All others were connected to some sort of AMP and god knows what else.

So at the store the H9i sounded sooo good, but once I got my pair and connected bluetooth... So bad. I was reading where other people were having distortion problems too. I felt like the bluetooth implementation was just flawed on them as the 3.5mm sounded great connected to my phone. I dont know, I guess i could have gotten a bad pair. It didn't sound like there was a burn in period for BO like Bowers.

To my ears at least I am like the PX over BT MILES ahead of the H9i.

So basically you bought a bluetooth headphone that doesn't do the codecs your phone uses, meaning it defaulted down to the lowest-level SBC, and you're blaming the headphone for having bad sound rather than your own lack of research.

I have an S9+ so I can use AAC and the difference between AAC and SBC is not even subtle.

Jul 19, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #2,268 of 2,912
No... My phone does AAC. I meant only that was a limit of the H9i... I was using AAC. You seem all about jumping on my crap over my experience with the H9i that you are obviously in love with. I know every detail of both cans and my phone but.. Thanks.

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #2,269 of 2,912
Actually the V-Moda Codex has hit my attention....

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #2,270 of 2,912
No... My phone does AAC. I meant only that was a limit of the H9i... I was using AAC. You seem all about jumping on my **** over my experience with the H9i that you are obviously in love with. I know every detail of both cans and my phone but.. Thanks.

You said you were using aptX HD on a OnePlus 6. Were you going into the developer options to actually enable AAC?

I actually returned my H9i in favor of a Crossfade 2 Wireless. I'm mostly just amused when complaints arise that are clearly the fault of the user.

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #2,272 of 2,912
No, I did not go in and change it. OnePlus 6 phones support every single BT codec available. The phone automatically picks what it believes to be the best codec that the headphone supports.

In the case of the Bowers PX - They support APTXHD, so when they connect it clearly pops up and says APTXHD.

Same goes for H9i - since They only support AAC and SBC, the phones chooses AAC. This is confirmed when going into bluetooth settings of the phone, it clearly states AAC in the connection settings.

Jul 21, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #2,274 of 2,912
Try aptX-HD codec then play flac/wav through UAPP with this settings:

Internal audio driver: HiRes
HiRes Driver: 32 bit
HiRes Flags: none
BitPerfect: on
Upsample: off
Use with Bluetooth: yes
Sync Mode: off
(after changing settings quit the app, turn bt off-on, connect to HP and start app).
PS. ANC set to more than 'office mode' destroys SQ.

Amazing quality.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #2,279 of 2,912
Sorry to drag this up again, but has anyone found the definitive hardshell case for the PX? I purchased the Geekria EJB54 on eBay, albeit for £5.99, but find it presses on the pads a little too much for my liking so still open to suggestions.

I don't need a case until our long-haul holiday in November and would like to find the perfect fit before then. The soft pouch supplied with the PX obviously isn't doing it for such epic travels.

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #2,280 of 2,912
Sorry to drag this up again, but has anyone found the definitive hardshell case for the PX? I purchased the Geekria EJB54 on eBay, albeit for £5.99, but find it presses on the pads a little too much for my liking so still open to suggestions.

I don't need a case until our long-haul holiday in November and would like to find the perfect fit before then. The soft pouch supplied with the PX obviously isn't doing it for such epic travels.

I have the case also and had issues with it pressing up on the pads as was worried that it was to snug. I assume you are putting them in with the pads turned out flat and then when you put it in the case the pads turn slightly inwards ? As this is how I put them in. After two months of use there has been no damage to the HPs and I use the case daily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back