Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Jul 16, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #2,251 of 2,912
Unbenannt-1.png

No light blue though.

Jul 18, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #2,258 of 2,912
I'd like to pose a general question for those that own the PX and have listened to them extensively:

Are you truly happy with the sound signature? I have owned these since Fall of '17 and have used them probably a dozen hours per week. I read review after review—both consumer and professional—raving about the sound. But sadly, I just feel like something sounds weird. Like, hollow... distant... tunnel-y? The treble sounds slightly muffled to my ears. While I'm not saying they're unpleasant to listen to, I do feel like they sound unnatural and slightly "off."

Rtings.com somewhat backs up my personal experience, but I feel like everyone else loves them.

I listen to a mix of compressed music on Apple Music and ALAC/AIFF/WAV in my library. I listen almost exclusively via BT, since these are, in fact, BT headphones.

Am I crazy? Are mine defective? Any insight would be really appreciated.

Jul 18, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #2,259 of 2,912
I think that's why people rave about them. The sig is unique. Yep, there's a "tunnel" sound to them a bit, but if it clicks with your ears (and it did mine) then it's wonderful.

Jul 18, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #2,261 of 2,912
So I got a pair of these and after a few days here are my impressions FWIW
Sound - I really love the sound signature of these. Not like my normal goto cans (Lawton modded THx-900 with Brainwave pads and Beyerdynamic Dt990) but I really enjoy the sound!!! The bass isn't as heavy as many of my other cans but it is tight accurate and punchy imho and vocals sound very good and crisp to me (much different than say my Senn HD600).
Comfort - a bit of a mixed bag for me. I have a smaller head so they actually seal okay (I can even wear my safety glasses ,which have small temples, with them on)but the pads are much harder than any of my other cans and the left ear seems to fit fine but the right ear just feels odd. I find myself involuntarily fiddling with it form time to time. I can wear them for 2-3 hours at a time without issue and do but not sure if I would feel the same way after maybe 4 or 5 hours.
I actually got some b stock with a slight, barely noticeable blemish on one earcup for $250 USD so I am well pleased. For $400 MSRP there is a lot of stiff competition, particularly if you are just looking for some phones and not necc having to be wireless but just portable. Best wireless cans I've listened to hands down.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #2,262 of 2,912
So yesterday I finally pulled the trigger. Sort of a funny story though. I went to best buy to purchase them in the A.M., once I got in the store and starting listening I convinced myself that the H9i sounded better. To be fair the best buy display was cabled and had some sort of amp involved and in the store the H9i's sounded AMAZING! The bass was so deep and full, and nothing was muddy at all. Well, I got them to price match the H9i for 430 from Amazon. I got them to the office and turned them on, and they sounded like hot garbage in comparison to the store. So there was a firmware update that said it made adjustments to the EQ so I attempted to start the firmware. I had to fight it for over 2 hours before I finally got it to load. After firmware still sounded like crap, they even distorted when full volume on bluetooth. With the cable they sounded great, but bluetooth was so bad.

I returned them in the evening and got the Bowers PX and am SOOOO glad I did. I ALMOST just said screw it and go with the Bose because I have been on the fence... mostly because of the rtings.com review of them. After this experience I will never base my main opinions on those graphs. They don't tell the entire story of the headphone. I am super happy with the purchase, they sound great with AptxHD and the firmware on these loaded first time no problem.

Moral of story - don't trust graphs for how headphones sound. LISTEN to them.

Jul 19, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #2,263 of 2,912
Two things.

One, the ANC makes a big difference on the SQ with both the H9i and then PX. So that might have been a factor.

Two, I'm very perplexed because, having owned the PX and H9i and tested them at Best Buy, the H9i sounded leagues better over bluetooth. What's your source?

Jul 19, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #2,264 of 2,912
The ANC was off - 100% off.

I have a One Plus 6 phone with AptxHD for source - tho the H9i only does AAC. My best buy would not let people connect to any of the headphones over bluetooth except the Bose and Sony. All others were connected to some sort of AMP and god knows what else.

So at the store the H9i sounded sooo good, but once I got my pair and connected bluetooth... So bad. I was reading where other people were having distortion problems too. I felt like the bluetooth implementation was just flawed on them as the 3.5mm sounded great connected to my phone. I dont know, I guess i could have gotten a bad pair. It didn't sound like there was a burn in period for BO like Bowers.

To my ears at least I am like the PX over BT MILES ahead of the H9i.

Jul 19, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #2,265 of 2,912
Totally agree with Some Guy Dude. I listened to the PX for a few weeks and I feel privileged the get the H9i cans back on my ears. They sound so much better than the PX. The H9i is let down by the eq applied when the ANC is enabled but I don't use that. The PX is an overall let down to me, particularly with comfort and a lack of quality high frequency treble.
Keep in mind the "i" as a suffice clearly denotes these B&O cans are optimised for "i" apple equipment and the AAC format. I use an Iphone X and I did try them on an Android phone and they certainly did not sound as sweet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back