Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Jun 5, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #2,101 of 2,912
Hoping this is a quick question.

Had these since launch and had hoped to use them for the various phone calls I need to make at work but while the NC for me is great in the office, whoever has the unfortunate job of listening to me has to put up with uvery single sound around the whole office. They literally pick up everything.

Why haven't they employed NC on the microphone too! Utter madness!!!

Or, am I doing something wrong?

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #2,102 of 2,912
Hoping this is a quick question.

Had these since launch and had hoped to use them for the various phone calls I need to make at work but while the NC for me is great in the office, whoever has the unfortunate job of listening to me has to put up with uvery single sound around the whole office. They literally pick up everything.

Why haven't they employed NC on the microphone too! Utter madness!!!

Or, am I doing something wrong?
No, they're not meant to be for phone calls, just music. Mic is utter poo. And I don't think ppl here care about that...

Jun 6, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #2,103 of 2,912
After 7 months of use the sound stopped coming out of the left ear. I've tried wireless, wired, different audio sources, reboots, resets, updated the firmware, etc. and there' s still no sound coming ouf of the left speaker. Has anyone else encountered the same or a similar issue?

Jun 6, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #2,104 of 2,912
After 7 months of use the sound stopped coming out of the left ear. I've tried wireless, wired, different audio sources, reboots, resets, updated the firmware, etc. and there' s still no sound coming ouf of the left speaker. Has anyone else encountered the same or a similar issue?
No, but my 'volume down' button while registering a press, stopped 'clicking' so mine were replaced. I suspect initial batch of these had a pretty high failure rate.

Call B&W up, they are super-OK about replacing faulty equipment.

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #2,105 of 2,912
Just bought a pair of these and I'm very impressed!!

I'm a Tidal subscriber and have 3 different ways of using it-

1. Straight from the Tidal App
2. Through USB Audio Player Pro
3. Through Bubble UPNP

After a short listening session last night, I think streaming straight from the Tidal App is my preference.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with this?

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #2,107 of 2,912
Back to the PX again for my daily drivers on the go - I found a pair on the french Amazon site for about 260 euros, in "very good" condition - and they look brand new. Previously I had the space grey color, but this time I chose the gold version - they look amazing and I forget how great they sound. My biggest issues with them previous was their software and some problems I had with my first pair - connection issues etc.. But they seem to have sorted these issues out with the firmwares they have released.

Jun 6, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #2,108 of 2,912
Just bought a pair of these and I'm very impressed!!

I'm a Tidal subscriber and have 3 different ways of using it-

1. Straight from the Tidal App
2. Through USB Audio Player Pro
3. Through Bubble UPNP

After a short listening session last night, I think streaming straight from the Tidal App is my preference.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with this?
UAPP becouse bitperfect, masters and skipping stock android mixer = quieter background.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #2,109 of 2,912
Did anyone star making bigger ear pads for PX. They press against my big ears and sometimes become uncomfortable.
I wrote to Vesper Audio https://vesperaudio.com/earpads
I mentioned that I'd like original look and feel. They wrote back that attaching mechanism is problem. They said that they can produce pads for PX only with double-sided adhessivе mounting.
Any other source?
Also, please comment on Vesper Audio pads.

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #2,111 of 2,912
Have had the px since it came out.I have a love/hate releationship with the sound.But in the past ive come to the conclusion that i dont like the sound that much.A friend of mine said that they had an digital sound to them.I think they sound boring.Not bad sound,but just boring.Bought the v moda crossfade 2 wireless yesterday and the sound is very fun and engaging (only tried with cable).I also recently bought the beyerdynamic dt 1770 pro,wich also sounds great.I guess my taste is leaning forward to v-shaped sound.And a little bit of warm fun sounding headphone.Maybe the px is to neautral for me.I owned the p9 last year.and they where the opposite.They where to booming and dark sounding.A real dissaster :p

I agree somewhat on the sound. I don't find it boring, nor do I hate it, but there's just something off about it. Anything that isn't right in the middle channel sounds quieter and far off. It's hard to explain. Gets a little better if you plug them in, but still. They have a metallic quality to the sound as though you're listening through a string tied to a tin can. That's obviously a massive exaggeration it's not nearly that drastic, but it's got a slight tinge of that quality to it. I've never heard a B&W headphone before, so maybe I'm just not interested in their house sound. Reading how everyone raves about the sound quality, especially compared to other bluetooth options, this is clearly a case of 'it's me not you.'

If I listened to them for a month straight or so, I'd probably be fine, but switching between different headphones as I do, whenever listening to them I feel I'm missing something. At the moment, it appears bluetooth just isn't for me I guess. For the money there are a plethora of IEM options if sound quality/portability is high on your requirements.

Jun 8, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #2,112 of 2,912
I agree somewhat on the sound. I don't find it boring, nor do I hate it, but there's just something off about it. Anything that isn't right in the middle channel sounds quieter and far off. It's hard to explain. Gets a little better if you plug them in, but still. They have a metallic quality to the sound as though you're listening through a string tied to a tin can. That's obviously a massive exaggeration it's not nearly that drastic, but it's got a slight tinge of that quality to it. I've never heard a B&W headphone before, so maybe I'm just not interested in their house sound. Reading how everyone raves about the sound quality, especially compared to other bluetooth options, this is clearly a case of 'it's me not you.'

If I listened to them for a month straight or so, I'd probably be fine, but switching between different headphones as I do, whenever listening to them I feel I'm missing something. At the moment, it appears bluetooth just isn't for me I guess. For the money there are a plethora of IEM options if sound quality/portability is high on your requirements.

I got the v-moda crossfade 2 wireless last monday.They sound fantastic in wired mode.A very engaging and fun headphone to listen to.I also bought the beyerdynamic xelento last year,and they sound amazing with the spin fit tip.They are super comfy,but i must admitt that i like headphones best.Its easier to take on/off,and have a fuller/wider sound :) But iems are very good in therms of isolation and portability.I think that bluetooth headphones still have an way to go in terms of sound quality.And noice canceling headpones dont sound that great either.Its ok sound,but wired headphones sounds so much better.

Jun 8, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #2,113 of 2,912
Surface Book has no native Aptx.. Only when one adds an Aptx dongle.
Finally i think found the answer to this. As it seems Surface book has apt-x as it has my Moto X.

I found that by the amazing earstudio app of the es100 dongle. It shows precisely the codex in use with the devise and I tested today out of curiosity all my devices.

I am just clarifying this because someone, somewhere sometime will end up here and is good to know this information and to do justice to Microsoft. A basic Google search does not make clear this so let's have it here for the record.

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #2,115 of 2,912
I'm actually a little disappointed in my perceived SQ of the PX. I had a set of B & O H9i's which I loved but had to return as the capacitive touch pad on the right ear cup suddenly stopped working. As these were some £120 dearer than the PX I got some store credit which was good. I had a look at those mark2 Sonys but the plastic looked cheap and as if it might break easily like the first version. So I picked the PX which were the same price.

To me the H9i's sounded much better, as do the Sennheiser pxc-550s I also own. So, I'm a little disappointed. I do love the design and build quality of the PX, though.

But the pxc-550s are a lot more comfortable too, plus they have passive playback.

Perhaps I just need more time to get used to them. I couldn't try out apt-x HD as I only have Apple products in my house. I did try them out listening to ALAC tracks, though I'm not sure if these just get converted to SBC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back