Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Apr 30, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #2,026 of 2,912
Thanks for the detailed answer to my query.

Another question if I might ... How is the sound compared to say .... ATH-M50X ? I have those but don't like them at all, because of the very V shaped sound, and lack of midrange (all subjective). The only music that shines in ATH-M50X (for me) is Rihanna ...

I used the ATH-M50x once. They might have a V-shaped sound, but the bass thump was too strong for me. Okish sound-stage. Full sound. The PX sound much more natural, maybe a little warm. If you listen to a song and can't hear the bass of the drumkit very well it means the artists didn't want you to hear/feel it. But when the artist did intend for you to hear it, you'll hear it.

Apr 30, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #2,027 of 2,912

Another question if I might ... How is the sound compared to say .... ATH-M50X ? I have those but don't like them at all, because of the very V shaped sound, and lack of midrange (all subjective). The only music that shines in ATH-M50X (for me) is Rihanna ...

I've never tried the M50x, but I find the PX to have a more pronounced mid-range than other headphones I've owned - HD6XX, Grado SR80, BW P5, MDR1000XM2, Senn PX100.

Apr 30, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #2,028 of 2,912
1. How is the max volume of those phones, say comparing to the QC35? I am asking because when I compared Bose to Sony Bose were much louder, and it's not mentioned in reviews.
Like carlove and kismetsky said, they get super loud. 30% sounds about right as my average level, playing wirelessly from my iPhone or from my Mac. Volume level is a bit louder via cable.
2. How is the SQ when using in internal DAC mode (USB only connection to the PC) vs using it with some decent DAC?
To start with, the PX sound great wirelessly via AAC or aptX. Connecting them via USB C (which still uses the internal DAC) improves upon this a little, and adds a bit more upper end detail. Using a cable (whether USB C or mini stereo) helps retain some clarity when ANC is enabled, though usually only use the Office setting, so I don't know if this is the case across all modes.

With external DACs, the PX is a bit finicky. Things sound great paired with a Dragonfly Black, for example. When paired with a Dragonfly Red, a lot of unacceptable hiss is introduced—I'm not sure if the conclusion here is that the PX stereo input is too sensitive to scale with some nicer DACs. TBH, for me, the wireless quality is so close to cabled quality that I rarely ever connect a cable, unless I'm sitting in the same place for a while, like on a flight.
3. What is the best case scenario for SQ with those phones, connectivity wise. I mean wireless APT-X HD or Internal DAC to PC/Phone or 3.5 cable to seme decent source?
Unless you have golden ears and flawless source material, the convenience of wireless via AAC or aptX far outweighs the nuance of connecting with cables. IMHO

Have you listened to any other Bowers & Wilkins headphones? The PX has detailed/forward mids with great subbass extension. It's got their thick house sound, though it's not as middbass heavy as the P7W.

Apr 30, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #2,029 of 2,912
Have you listened to any other Bowers & Wilkins headphones? The PX has detailed/forward mids with great subbass extension. It's got their thick house sound, though it's not as middbass heavy as the P7W.
I listened to P7 once, but was scared off their price so there was no critical listening.

Wow, what you wrote suits my needs greatly, because otherwise perfect Bose don't sound good to my ears in the upper end (when in active mode), and from what I understand those PX's are much better.
Hopefully will have an audition on the coming Thursday, will share my impressions later in this thread.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #2,032 of 2,912
Well, had a short (about 30 min) session with those PX's and here are some impressions:

Comfort - I prepared for the worst, but.. I did not feel any discomfort, not from the earpads and not from excessive clamping force, they felt just right. I would be happy if the earcups would have been a little bigger, but they are just ok the way they are now.
Overall built - good, but I did not feel the great quality I read about in all those reviews. They are definitely ok, but not more. For their price I would have expected better, beefier construction.
Sound - it's great. I used my FiiO X3 II for the audition. The sound was clear all across the range, had bass but were well controlled bass, not overwhelming. Voices sounded clear, and the soundstage in overall was super wide, like I wasn't listening to headphones at all. Regarding different ANC modes - the phones sounded the best, most open without ANC, with Office mode the sound felt "tighter", in "city" mode it was like some weird DSP was applied, and on airplane mode they sounded almost as the Bose's - I mean very bassy with rolled off highs.

I think Boses will outlast those B&W's, as the built seems to be more robust, but sound-wise there is not much comparison - PX's are much better for the music that I like (metal, jazz, female vocals).

Overall I am happy with the audition, only left to decide when to pull the trigger. I can buy second hand in mint condition for about 220$, still on warranty period, and new for the usual ~400$. The second had are the gold-blue, and I like the "silver" more.
Is there some place besides Amazon that sells those maybe a little discounted?

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #2,033 of 2,912
Well, had a short (about 30 min) session with those PX's and here are some impressions:

Overall built - good, but I did not feel the great quality I read about in all those reviews. They are definitely ok, but not more. For their price I would have expected better, beefier construction.
I think Boses will outlast those B&W's, as the built seems to be more robust, but sound-wise there is not much comparison - PX's are much better for the music that I like (metal, jazz, female vocals).

Overall I am happy with the audition, only left to decide when to pull the trigger. I can buy second hand in mint condition for about 220$, still on warranty period, and new for the usual ~400$. The second had are the gold-blue, and I like the "silver" more.
Is there some place besides Amazon that sells those maybe a little discounted?

Really surprised you think the build-quality is lesser than the QCs. The head-band is so much thicker than any thin sheet of aluminium I've seen from Bose. So I'm wondering how you reached that conclusion??

May 3, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #2,034 of 2,912
Really surprised you think the build-quality is lesser than the QCs. The head-band is so much thicker than any thin sheet of aluminium I've seen from Bose. So I'm wondering how you reached that conclusion??

Hi, let me clarify

1. The arms that hold the earpieces are not very thick, they could be thicker.
2. The arms, when they rotate - rotate thooth but I would expect to get more resistance from them.
3. Simple thought. What headphones to your opinion would break if you would unfortunately sit on them, the Boses aor the B&W? What headphones would break if they would fall to a concrete floor a couple of times? I think Boses are more life-ready, while B&W more exquisite design has it's flaws.
4. The buttons feel plasticky and flimsy...

Overall, I would compare PX to a Korean car quality (say Hyundai, or Kia) and the Boses to a VW. The feel is not quite right, yet.

May 3, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #2,035 of 2,912
Hi, let me clarify

2. The arms, when they rotate - rotate thooth but I would expect to get more resistance from them.
3. Simple thought. What headphones to your opinion would break if you would unfortunately sit on them, the Boses aor the B&W? What headphones would break if they would fall to a concrete floor a couple of times? I think Boses are more life-ready, while B&W more exquisite design has it's flaws.

Overall, I would compare PX to a Korean car quality (say Hyundai, or Kia) and the Boses to a VW. The feel is not quite right, yet.
That is surprising. I would compare the PX to a Bentley. The VW for the Bose is fine.

May 3, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #2,036 of 2,912
Hi, let me clarify

The problem with the Hyandai and kia reference is those cars are actually quite good if not better value. The kia Stinger is probably a better deal then say a BMW 3 series depending on trims and etc.

The PX is built way better then the Bose plastic and I would be more afraid to the break those then the PX tbh

May 4, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #2,037 of 2,912
Anyway, it seems that i will get those second-hand PX's. Will give them about a week of listening, and write a more detailed review.
The current owner is selling because of comfort issues, he felt that the headphones do not feel great when he bought them, and thought that he and/or the phones will adapt. That did not happen.

May 4, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #2,038 of 2,912
When i bought one's, it made pressure on sides and top of the head. Now i can't even feel them. And this sound.... wow. I had Sony 1000xm2 and absolutly love the PX. Sony's are best with NC Full on. Because i dind´t need the NC for day to day bases i risked and sold sony's to buy B&W px and just fell in love. Most of the time use them with NC off and when in need i use Office mode. I'm really happy with px.

About materials and robustness. I allready have a nick on one arm that i don't even know how i made that. And i have reserves about that fabric in one year or two...

May 5, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #2,039 of 2,912
After using these since January I no longer feel these which is great because they were noticeable when I first used them. Now with ANC at least I noticed at times there's this vibration or something I guess whenever there is some low bass going on where it distorting with ANC on. You can notice it off but it's barely noticeable. Now this doesn't happen all the time and is confined to the right ear cup. Not sure if it's worth paying for shipping for them to not be able to reproduce it and send it back as is.

May 7, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #2,040 of 2,912
The PX is built way better then the Bose plastic and I would be more afraid to the break those then the PX tbh
A little late to this conversation but the QC35 uses glass-filled nylon, not plastic. It's far more flexible than the PX (just watch some headband stretch tests on Youtube) and will likely handle damage better, just sayin'. I'm no fan of the 35s, sold my pair long ago while I still own the PXes, but I recognize that build quality and comfort (especially comfort!) on the Bose can are fantastic, if not top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back