Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Feb 28, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #1,921 of 2,912
Just wanted to comment on the noise cancelling on these.

I just went to a monster truck show here in Socal called Monster Jam. My friend told me to bring earplugs because of that glorious unmuffled forced induced V8 noise that the monster trucks make as they launch into the air. After awhile of that it can cause some tinnitus.

Anyhow I didn’t have any kind of earplugs so I figured I’d just bring my PX... on flight mode it made a huge difference even when seated in the front row. The sound of the trucks was a distant rumble and the roar of the crowd was hardly there. When I played music all noises where filtered out completely.

Feb 28, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,923 of 2,912
Mind sharing what the description of the update says? I'm at work at the moment :)

Well I'm looking at the completed update via the app. It says current version v1.080. I'm not seeing any info. via the app. beyond the firmware version. If there is somewhere to look on the app. on an iPhone let me know. I can say the good news is that the headphones work. Firmware upgrades scare me :wink:

Update, from B&W site:

Release: v1.080 - February 2018

• You no longer need to turn PX off and on after the firmware has been updated.
  • We’ve improved some cases where PX will auto-play incorrectly.
  • PX no longer incorrectly displays itself as an audio input when connected to a computer via USB.
  • Significantly reduced firmware update time on iOS 10, iOS 11 and some Android smartphones.
  • Other minor bug fixes and improvements.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,924 of 2,912
I so much love the sound quality on this headphone, considering it's bluetooth. AptX-HD doing great work here. The sound signature is so enjoyable, bass isn't overwhelming and is precise. I hear now a lot more details in my songs than I had with momentum 2. Important thing is to let them burn in, they really need it. Like 20-30 hours. ANC is hitting SQ hard so max one should go is 'office mode'. But PX sits firmly on head so even with ANC off it has really good isolation.

I don't understand this v1.080 changlog about turning off/on - I wasn't ever doing that anyway?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #1,927 of 2,912
I updated to the latest firmware, v1.080, yesterday afternoon and the update went smoothly and a good bit faster than previously on iPhone X and iOS 11. The release notes were not on the B&W website at the time so I still turned off/on the headphones after the update. Guess they should've updated the app as it still said to do this. Anyway, didn't really notice anything different after the update till today when I tried the ANC. Now I don't normally use ANC as I don't really need it and I never really like the reduction in SQ with it on. However, today I noticed the SQ was noticeably improved when using ANC. In office mode I detected only a minimal difference where previously it was pronounced. Flight mode was substantially better for me. Yes the overall SQ was still muffled and reduced but overall the highs and mids were more pronounced then before. City mode SQ was still flat and sounded the least improved. The PXs still sound much better with ANC off but overall to me the SQ with ANC on is much improved. The release notes don't specify any ANC SQ improvements but it may have been one of those minor improvements.

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #1,928 of 2,912
I can confirm the recent update is significant. I usually disable the wear sensors on the go because of frustrating, random shut-offs. Today my commute was perfect even with a vigorous, head-bobbing walk. It was too warm to tell if the cold weather issues are also fixed, but so far so good!

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #1,929 of 2,912
I can confirm the recent update is significant. I usually disable the wear sensors on the go because of frustrating, random shut-offs. Today my commute was perfect even with a vigorous, head-bobbing walk. It was too warm to tell if the cold weather issues are also fixed, but so far so good!

I totally agree, mine used to randomly turn off/on while placing the PX on my desk, sneezing, turning head etc. (no matter what the sensitivity setting is) . Works flawlessly for now with the newest firmware update.

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #1,930 of 2,912
There is indeed a vast SQ improvement in a ANC modes with this new update... #happy

Mar 2, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #1,931 of 2,912
My impression was the noise cancellation is not quite as good but the sound is now better with it on. Ive always thought the noise cancellation was way better than people gave credit anyway. I'm pretty sure I can hear my fan ever so slightly more now.
The problem is that people listen with cancellation off then turn it on in an already quiet environment, there's always going to be a big difference under these circumstances and to moan they then sound poor is silly.
IMO they still do and always did sound way better than any Bose noise cancelling headphones in comparative noise cancelling settings, on or off. Pretty close in the noise cancelling stakes too.

Mar 2, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #1,933 of 2,912
can you advise on a cable (2,5mm) balanced to use with the PX and which can be an upgrade ?

Moon Audio Black Dragon or Silver Dragon...

Mar 2, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #1,935 of 2,912
Did anyone else notice a difference in SQ with NC off after the update? I do feel it's different but maybe psycho (acoustic). Still my favorite ANC headphones and daily driver! Kind of killed my headphone lust :astonished:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back