Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Jan 24, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #1,741 of 2,912
Best wireless I have owned but I sold mine before Christmas. B&W why oh why do they not fold down properly? The cups fold but they actually fold out not in making the footprint even bigger

The whole point (for me anyway) of ANC is to use them on the move, mainly commuting and for that reason I need them to fold down.

Funny, originally I had the same thought, especially since I had the P7W for a time. However I actually prefer the PX for an on-the-go form factor. It’s all so subjective I guess :)

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #1,742 of 2,912
I'm looking forward to the PX, and I fully expect it to best the Onkyo, but damn, I have to give the H500BT, for the price, it has to be the best price to sound performance in wireless headphones that I have ever tried. In fact, while I thought the B&W P7W was better sounding than the Onkyo, the Onkyo was at least 95% of the performance capability, really light and portable which allowed me to sell my P7W. Now I just feel the urge to have a new sound signature and see if aptX HD actually makes a discernable difference. Time will tell, should receive my PX on Monday.

I remember you mentioning the Onkyo before and also your love for the P7W, which I was also a big fan of. How is the fit and wear of the Onkyo because they are on-ear models right?

My story is that I also sold my beloved P7W to replace them with the PX, but just recently I sold these. The first pair I got had software problems and didn’t work so they were returned. Had to wait several weeks before I was able to buy a new set imported from uk (I live in Denmark). The new set worked but never really won me over like the P7W did.

So right now I’m waiting for the new Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H9i since I remember the H9 were quite nice and the fit and earpads extremely comfortable and nice sound. Also just bought the H8i which is on-ears.

So as much as I wanted to love the PX (and I did love their sound), software and other small things made me sell them eventually. I didn’t really have a problem with them not folding like the P7W, but their weight and build felt more ... fragile, than the P7W in my opinion.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #1,743 of 2,912
Normally I find on-ear uncomfortable, but the H500BT is actually very comfortable. I think they are a smashing deal given they can go for as low as $180US new. For me, the Onkyo is also wearable outdoors when it is hot where the PX and the P7W just won't be. I never allow myself to sweat on my headphones so something cool is essential for the summer. If you feel like trying I would say order the H500BT off of Amazon if the vendor accepts returns, try them out and see what you think. You might end up liking them like I did. Very nice portables. They aren't perfect, but damn for the money and wearability, the modest deviation from the sound quality of say the P7W is quite acceptable to me, but each to their own. I would like to try the H9i as I loved my H7. Only parted ways with the H7 as they couldn't get quite loud enough for my needs and I hear that newer B&O offerings also struggle with power.

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #1,744 of 2,912
I've been wanting to just go BT vs wired now that the tech has made strides, so after auditioning the QC35 and WH1000XM2 at Best Buy (couldn't try out the PX), based on feedback here and elsewhere I pulled the trigger on the PX figuring I could just return it. Definitely gets the nod over the other 2 on sound quality unless you're a basshead (then get the Sony). PX wins on details and soundstage. NC is probably 60-70% of the way there compared (Sony is tops here IMO, it's pretty impressive), but I'll take the tradeoff. My main complaint with the PX is sound leakage. After 60-70% or so, others are going to start knowing what you're listening to. Maybe leakage gets better over time as the pads continue to mold? Still worth it to me as the sound quality really is the best between the 3. If you NEED NC frequently get the Sony's. For sound quality, I would say: PX > Sony >>> QC35 (sounded really blah to me). Source is iPhone 8 Plus (mainly Apple Music) so I guess we're talking AAC BT in my case. Really hard to tell the difference between wired AAC and even some of the same songs via FLAC when hooking up to a portable DAC/AMP through the lightning port with the few wired cans I have. Maybe my ears just suck.

As others have noted, comfort can be pretty painful at first. They grip pretty tight. You really have to get through that first week or so to let them settle in and then it's all good. My jaws in particular hurt the first day or so. Reminded me of Grados when starting out.

Also sounded surprisingly tinny out of the box (I've read this from others), but didn't take that long to open up. After a while they don't sound anywhere near like the same cans you tried the first day. I've also had no problem with range at all (walked upstairs and closed the door for 5 minutes, didn't drop 1 second).

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #1,745 of 2,912
Interesting as I found the bass on my creak-tastic Sony 1000xs lacking. Re the PX, you make a good point re them feeling fragile, hard to describe as the build quality is good but I do agree. I think that they never felt solid when used on the move i.e. walking

My favourite overall have been the QC35s so far but I had Bluetooth drop outs on every pair I tried when used on the move so that was a show-stopper for me (common issue on these I think) Momentum 2s have no AAC, am currently trialing the studio 3s, not a patch on the PXs for sound but not terrible so these may prove to be the best compromise for me.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #1,746 of 2,912
... am currently trialing the studio 3s, not a patch on the PXs for sound but not terrible so these may prove to be the best compromise for me.
I would be curious to know what you think. I have been tempted to try out this headphone, but it does sound like while reputed to be greatly improved over past iterations, even newer beats have overcooked bass which may be somewhat muddy and compromise other aspects of the sound. What are your thoughts?

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #1,748 of 2,912
I would be curious to know what you think. I have been tempted to try out this headphone, but it does sound like while reputed to be greatly improved over past iterations, even newer beats have overcooked bass which may be somewhat muddy and compromise other aspects of the sound. What are your thoughts?

I’ve had the Beats Solo 3 for over a year and I’ve never thought of them as too bassy or even bass-biased as the previous Beats have been. They’re not the greatest sounding headphones in the world but they are quite good for what they do. The Studio 3 should be even better sounding.

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #1,749 of 2,912
Beats headphones have been good since the Solo 2s.
I know that they have come along way for sure. For the record I have never been a beats hater and I am always willing to try something rather than just write something off because a bunch of other people say negative things about it. I have always loved the design of beats. Not sure I will ever go that route as there are plenty of other headphones to choose from and I have to admit, with beats being everywhere I look it might make me feel to much like part of the Borg!

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #1,750 of 2,912
I’ve had the Beats Solo 3 for over a year and I’ve never thought of them as too bassy or even bass-biased as the previous Beats have been. They’re not the greatest sounding headphones in the world but they are quite good for what they do. The Studio 3 should be even better sounding.

Solo3 is way better than Studio3 IMO.

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #1,751 of 2,912
Interesting as I found the bass on my creak-tastic Sony 1000xs lacking. Re the PX, you make a good point re them feeling fragile, hard to describe as the build quality is good but I do agree. I think that they never felt solid when used on the move i.e. walking

My favourite overall have been the QC35s so far but I had Bluetooth drop outs on every pair I tried when used on the move so that was a show-stopper for me (common issue on these I think) Momentum 2s have no AAC, am currently trialing the studio 3s, not a patch on the PXs for sound but not terrible so these may prove to be the best compromise for me.

Other than the lack of AAC, Momentum 2.0/HD1 are the best-sounding by far out of the Studio3 and WH-1000XM2. The wireless sound signature is incredible with more pronounced, impactful, detailed bass than either of those two.

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #1,754 of 2,912

The white noise from the ANC is no better than the 2s which I was disappointed with but it is not audible when you actually listen to music, they do sound better though. I like them. Not tried the solo 3, do have the solo 2 wired.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #1,755 of 2,912
Well, according to Amazon I will have my PX tomorrow. Too bad that I have been pretty sick these last three days so I may not be able to fully enjoy them, but you can bet that I'll try. At least I'll have some general impressions to share tomorrow. Really looking forward to hearing this headphone and I hope that it is good enough to keep as compared against my H500BT. If the differences are only modest, it might be hard to justify the $479 plus 13% sales tax that I paid. I was also going to order the KEF Space One wireless to compare, but sadly KEF would charge me a 15% restocking fee, plus shipping costs both ways, and for a $499 plus tax headphone, that is too big a gamble to take, $75 restocking fee plus the shipping which will be at least $32 combined both directions so over $100 cost to audition them, no thanks KEF, that is just too unreasonable. Shame as the comparison would have been nice. KEF voices their headphones well and I really liked the M500 when I owned it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back