Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 16, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,216 of 2,912
What firmware are you on after update? The app sent me a notification that new firmware was available, but I'm still on 1.062 and there is no option to upgrade within the app. I'm super annoyed.

Correct... 1.062 is the latest and current firmware. Must be a glitch in the app...

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #1,217 of 2,912
Nov 16, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #1,218 of 2,912
So Are you still deciding if you will keep the PX? The reason I ask is I want to get either the PX or the P7W. I don't care about ANC at all but just want a good sounding wireless set that plays well with Rock/Alternative/Jazz/Pop.

The gap between PX and P7W is smaller even after 10hours of burn in. But I still prefer P7W. I think I'll make my decision after 50hours of burn in.
Please note that I'm not using PX for my daily usage to keep my brain burned in. I just compare side by side PX and P7W, with same sources and songs between burn in seasons. I'll keep my post updated with latest opinions, if burn in makes further improvements or not.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #1,219 of 2,912
Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #1,220 of 2,912
So after the updated firmware I'm starting to have the issues with the Wear sensor that the majority was talking about, so much so that i had to turn it off. I really don't use the ANC Sooooo...... I'm thinking of returning these and getting the P7W instead. The PX were supposed to be my wireless champions. I just can't justify paying a premium and getting shorted on the return. AFAIK there is no fix for the Wear Sensor issues so i'm kind of at a dilemma because i have not heard the P7W. For those who have, if i do switch will i regret it? Should i wait on B&W for another firmware update instead?

Nov 16, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #1,221 of 2,912
So after the updated firmware I'm starting to have the issues with the Wear sensor that the majority was talking about, so much so that i had to turn it off. I really don't use the ANC Sooooo...... I'm thinking of returning these and getting the P7W instead. The PX were supposed to be my wireless champions. I just can't justify paying a premium and getting shorted on the return. AFAIK there is no fix for the Wear Sensor issues so i'm kind of at a dilemma because i have not heard the P7W. For those who have, if i do switch will i regret it? Should i wait on B&W for another firmware update instead?

Did you try turning down the wear sensor? I've found it works well for the most part for me, even as someone who wears glasses. I'm guessing it's something they can improve, but I have nothing to base that off of.

on Amazon.ca, the PX and P7W are the same price, so I felt that going with the more feature-filled PX made more sense, but if you can get the P7W cheaper than it makes sense. Maybe wait for Black Friday?

One issue I had for the second time today was that the headphones wouldn't turn on and needed a hard reset. Kind of disappointing, as I haven't even broken the 2 week mark, but we'll see. I hope B&W can follow up with another firmware update for some further QOL improvements.

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #1,222 of 2,912
The burn in is really funny. The shop had only been burning the phone for 20 hours and was eager to state that it needed at least 80 hours of continuous playing. We both agreed that the sound did not hit the mark considering the hefty price. Does burn in apply for ALL phones? It should, if it really matters. The only thing the burn in can be called is a placebo!

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #1,224 of 2,912
Just found out these are very sensitive to how you wear them with regards to bass levels. I normally wear glasses so the fronts are slightly open where the arms go in. It makes a noticeable difference to the bass if I am wearing glasses or not. Will have to wear my contacts more.

ETA: Pretty sure this is the reason for me hearing high frequency noise even with ANC on too.

I’ve ordered a pair that will arrive next week. But I’ve been to the store two times to have a listen.

I understand the boxy sound that some of you describe. I get that too. But yesterday when I was listening I also found that they were very sensitive to how you wear them!
When I just pushed the earcups 5-10 mm towards the back of my head, the sound improved a lot. No more boxy sound.
I don’t wear glasses or anything like that. But just a little adjustment of the cups over my ears changed the sound a lot!

Nov 17, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #1,225 of 2,912
I found the wear sensitivity controls counter intuitive. After having a couple of issues I changed the setting to what I thought would be less sensitive to small movements and changes by choosing "Less" in the controls. Still had loads of issues, actually even more. So tried making them more sensitive and amazingly they worked great, no more issues and the smart pause / play works like a charm. For those having issues with this, what settings have you used?

Nov 17, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #1,226 of 2,912
When I just pushed the earcups 5-10 mm towards the back of my head, the sound improved a lot. No more boxy sound.
I don’t wear glasses or anything like that. But just a little adjustment of the cups over my ears changed the sound a lot!

Having tried them with contacts instead of glasses now this is what I find. There is a definite sweet spot within which you get great sound. Off that you start getting the boxy sound, thin bass etc.

I've returned mine due to the ticking fault in the left cup, but ordered another pair this time in space grey for a less blingy / mug me look.

Nov 17, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #1,227 of 2,912
The decision not to allow wired passive use still irks me. There just don't seem to be any benefits to doing this. When listening wired does it go through an ADC, do the ANC, and then through a DAC? You'd expect the headphone volume controls to work if it did that which don't. The other reason I thought of to do this is artificial senescence. The battery is only going to last so long, and once it is dead you'll need to get a new pair. Anyone done a tear down to see how easy it is to replace the battery?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #1,228 of 2,912
I received the Geekria case and got a chance to see how it fit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZ9ZJ9Y/

Geekria what came in the box.jpg

Geekria Case Open.jpg

...and I'm a little worried it presses down on the earcups a little too much(?) That could be just me being paranoid having spent a little over $400 on these babies.

I'm going to give these a try next: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N05FHKN/

or these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075S1HDJQ/

UPDATE (as of 11/20):

So I went with these instead: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKQN2RX/
...and they're perfect for the PXs! A couple of pics below:
Case Closed 2.jpg Case Closed.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #1,229 of 2,912
The battery is only going to last so long, and once it is dead you'll need to get a new pair. Anyone done a tear down to see how easy it is to replace the battery?

According to B&W the batteries can not be replaced by the user. But it’s possible to have them replaced at a retailer.
I have not got any answers from B&W about the costs. They said it’s up to the retailer as there will be costs for the work as well as the batteries. But I think it would be nice to get a estimated price at least.
I guess one have to ask at a retail store to get the answer.

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #1,230 of 2,912
I have not got any answers from B&W about the costs. They said it’s up to the retailer as there will be costs for the work as well as the batteries. But I think it would be nice to get a estimated price at least.
I guess one have to ask at a retail store to get the answer.

Well I actually got this email from B&W right now:

“I have talked to the service department of our Scandinavian distributor Hi-Fi Klubben, and their «guesstimate» for a battery replacement outside warranty is somewhere between 700-900 SEK.”

700-900 SEK would be around 85-110$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back