Bowers & Wilkins PI7
Dec 14, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #946 of 1,155
Hi, I am not sure the PI7 support APTX-HD but only APTX classic and APTX-Adaptive according to Qualcomm

https://www.aptx.com/aptx-adaptive

Your can read in Specifications

Compatibility :

1) Backward compatible with APTX and APTX-HD in stereo Headsets (No TWS)
2) Backward compatible with APTX in earbuds and stereo Headsets (TWS et Headsets)

The Case as a transmitter only works in APTX-LL ( via analog) and APTX Classic ( via USB)
Not really sure if there is a question here but the PI7 does support aptX HD. If you search this thread, you will find people who have used their PI7s with phones and adapters that support aptX HD (Sony Xperia and Creative dongle come to mind). I can confirm that the PI7s also connect to my Pixel 6 via aptX HD. Note, if the phone has aptX adaptive, it will use aptX adaptive and you cannot force aptX HD instead (this is the case with my LG V60 and OnePlus 8T, both of which have aptX adaptive).

Dec 14, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #947 of 1,155
Not really sure if there is a question here but the PI7 does support aptX HD. If you search this thread, you will find people who have used their PI7s with phones and adapters that support aptX HD (Sony Xperia and Creative dongle come to mind). I can confirm that the PI7s also connect to my Pixel 6 via aptX HD. Note, if the phone has aptX adaptive, it will use aptX adaptive and you cannot force aptX HD instead (this is the case with my LG V60 and OnePlus 8T, both of which have aptX adaptive).
Yes I use aptXHD off my Shanling M8...

Dec 15, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #948 of 1,155

Dec 15, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #949 of 1,155
Hello TK33, well i read those posts but i was not sure it was not incorrection information about APTX-HD and not just plain APTX?

But if you tell me that on your Pixel 6 you reallu do get APTX-HD then i am glad since it s not really obvious
according to Qualcomm website that implies there is not aptx-hd on true wireless but you cleared that issue for me.

Also the case does not transmit in APTX-HD (according to the codec displayed in android B&W App )

I had the PI7 for a few weeks but unfortunately no smartphone (Samsung) or tablets ( older Sony/Samsung ) that support APTX-HD or APT-X adaptive, my FIIO M11 Pro mp3 player does have APTX-HD but would not connect easily without third party app to the PI7 and then it only connected via APTX not APTX-HD but i blamed it on the third party app that allowed me to connect the FIIO mp3 player to the PI7

I am due to receive a pair of Grell TWS/1 soon (I hope) they do have APTX- Adaptive, i will see how they work with that FIIO player again.

Thanks

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #950 of 1,155
Pixel 6 Pro aptX HD

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211217-084722.png
    Screenshot_20211217-084722.png
    196 KB · Views: 0
Dec 17, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #951 of 1,155
PI7 vs OG Campfire Solaris
$350 bluetooth iem vs $1450 wired iem

I'll do these tests in waves. Tonight I did two tracks, side by side, Deep Purple's Hush, & Born to Die/Off to the races by Lana Del Rey.

Born to Die
Vocal presentation is the PI7 strong point, and boy do they deliver here, it's full, natural, and sounds great.
I prefer the timbre of vocals on the PI7, they sound more 'natural' or pleasing in signature. However the vocal image and detail on the Solaris is wayy ahead, on the PI7 it feels kind of small, you know you're listening to the iem. On the Solaris the music is pulled up in every possible dimension, it's immersive and a bit overpowering. Especially the vocals, they go from this small image to this enveloping experience.

Details on Born to Die are far more apparent, again, it's as if the instrumentals open right out and the stage is humongous in comparison.

Bass
This was super interesting. On Off to the Races I prefer the PI7 bass response, its more rounded and less 'metallic'. It is also wayy more overpowering on the PI7, but that's cool on this track. It's tighter on the Solaris, but again, less natural sounding.

Overall I enjoyed the PI7 presentation here. It held it's own. The Solaris creates a more immersive, big and impressive experience though, with much better detail.

Hush
The Solaris pulls further ahead here. The overall energy and momentum of the track is just better on the Solaris, the PI7 is a tad laid back in comparison. Again the PI7 rivals the Solaris in some respects on vocals, with a wonderful timbre.

I'll be doing more of this, it's super interesting. I'd say the PI7 does amazingly well, considering the comparison.

I did this for twofold reasons. How does a flagship tws stand up to a flagship wired?
Is it worth going wired for the SQ and extra money?

I got the Solaris for £650 on ebay. To me, it is worth it. The staging is just so much bigger, the overall experience so much more immersive, that I'll take the wire over the tws. It's a huge difference. What i will say is I wish the Solaris had the PI7 timbre. B&W know how to tune things well.

At £1450 to £350 it becomes a much tougher call, I'd take the PI7 all day in that case lol!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #952 of 1,155
Cannot connect to AK DAP

My Pi7 cannot connect to the AK SP2000. Believe others have faced similar issues connecting to AK DAP. Has approached the local agent and their reply is that B+W are not responding to their queries regarding this issue.

This review (https://www.techhive.com/article/3623726/bowers-wilkins-pi7-headphone-review.html) has also highlighted the issue and indicated that B+W is aware.

Appreciate any advise on how to resolve this issue, and if there are any indications if B+W is looking at this.
Thank you.

Dec 24, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #953 of 1,155
Cannot connect to AK DAP

My Pi7 cannot connect to the AK SP2000. Believe others have faced similar issues connecting to AK DAP. Has approached the local agent and their reply is that B+W are not responding to their queries regarding this issue.

This review (https://www.techhive.com/article/3623726/bowers-wilkins-pi7-headphone-review.html) has also highlighted the issue and indicated that B+W is aware.

Appreciate any advise on how to resolve this issue, and if there are any indications if B+W is looking at this.
Thank you.

Ive tried them with two daps, wm1a and sr25. They worked with the Ak not the sony, nothing I could do.

As an aside, with a DAP like that you should probably use some good wired iems…Theyll blow the pi7 out of the water with the sp2000 behind them. Obviously the dap has no effect on pi7 sound quality.

Dec 24, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #954 of 1,155
Hello all.....

There is THIS

I am in the market for some Earbuds. I'm def a basshead and have had several types of earbuds (check my previous posts)
Trying to finally experiment a lil and go wireless now
Quickly saw the article above but seems to def be a puff piece.
Thus coming to you all to see if you all have any experience with some of these choices:

-Jaybird Vista 2
-Sony WF XB700
-B&W P17

Thanks in advance

Dec 24, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #955 of 1,155
Hello all.....

There is THIS

I am in the market for some Earbuds. I'm def a basshead and have had several types of earbuds (check my previous posts)
Trying to finally experiment a lil and go wireless now
Quickly saw the article above but seems to def be a puff piece.
Thus coming to you all to see if you all have any experience with some of these choices:

-Jaybird Vista 2
-Sony WF XB700
-B&W P17

Thanks in advance
These are supposed to be just as good as the Bowers&Wilkins, but with better mids at a fraction of the price of the PI7. I am trying to sell my PI7 to switch to these...

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-NeoB...sprefix=edifier+tws+neobuds+pro,aps,41&sr=8-3

Dec 31, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #957 of 1,155
So then the P17s are not what you thought they were
Why not keep both?
Not at all. I'm just a child looking for a shiny new toy...besides I have had zero interest in the PI7, not 1 enquiry! Plus, I didnt buy the edifier, a friend just told me about it. I only use the wireless at work.

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #958 of 1,155
Feb 4, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #959 of 1,155
Any comparison with XM4?

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #960 of 1,155
Anyone using the Creative dongle with these found an alternative usb-c to lightning adapter?

Im interested in using the dongle for another use case haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back