Bowers & Wilkins PI7
Oct 12, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #917 of 1,155
How is the connectivity stability with pi7 and iphone (without tongle)? i had to send them back for replacement after serious connection issues (iphone x)
As much as I've already reported my "love" for the PI7 my connectivity issues have really increased with the iOS 15 and iOS 15 updates. If I try to alternate listening to music between my new Apple 13 Pro Max and my 2021 iPad Pro 12.9" I find many times I have to do a hard reset on the PI7. Then go through the pairing process several times. In July, I tried my M1 MacMini, and really had a hard time getting the PI7's off the paired BT list of the computer.

I have no real way of knowing but Apple's operating systems are not playing nice with the PI7. I suppose it could be the PI7's firmware, but I have not seen an update.

My B&W PX7 make the the switch to my various devices without issue. So does this me the fix really is in B&W court for the PI7?

It really is too bad these are so glitchy with my Apple devices. They sound great, when they work with the Apple device of my choice. :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #918 of 1,155
As much as I've already reported my "love" for the PI7 my connectivity issues have really increased with the iOS 15 and iOS 15 updates. If I try to alternate listening to music between my new Apple 13 Pro Max and my 2021 iPad Pro 12.9" I find many times I have to do a hard reset on the PI7. Then go through the pairing process several times. In July, I tried my M1 MacMini, and really had a hard time getting the PI7's off the paired BT list of the computer.

I have no real way of knowing but Apple's operating systems are not playing nice with the PI7. I suppose it could be the PI7's firmware, but I have not seen an update.

My B&W PX7 make the the switch to my various devices without issue. So does this me the fix really is in B&W court for the PI7?

It really is too bad these are so glitchy with my Apple devices. They sound great, when they work with the Apple

Oct 12, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #919 of 1,155
I'm the OP on this complaint about the PI7's connectivity issues. Let me add that getting the PI7 "found" on my Apple devices using B&W's "Headphone" app. is very iffy after a total reset of the earbuds.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #920 of 1,155
so as i understand it's a wasting of time to wait for my 2nd pair, to be honest B&W UK support email me to send them back, they didn't mentioned something for update, so hard to believe that this brand release this great sounding buds with ios connectivity issues!

Oct 12, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #921 of 1,155
Yes, I can send mine back. I'm not sure if the replacement will fix the connectivity issues. I will have to fill out a long form, and of course pay for shipping and shipping insurance. I'm not sure if this is shipping to them, and then pay for shipping back to me. I am going to make an inquiry on that.

At this rate these PI7's are going to cost as much as my Apple Pros Max over the ear headphones! :triumph:

Oct 12, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #922 of 1,155
Yes, I can send mine back. I'm not sure if the replacement will fix the connectivity issues. I will have to fill out a long form, and of course pay for shipping and shipping insurance. I'm not sure if this is shipping to them, and then pay for shipping back to me. I am going to make an inquiry on that.

At this rate these PI7's are going to cost as much as my Apple Pros Max over the ear headphones! :triumph:
I originally bought an open box from B&H and had lots of connectivity issues in general. Returned them for a new pair and the new pair works great....

Oct 12, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #923 of 1,155
so as i understand it's a wasting of time to wait for my 2nd pair, to be honest B&W UK support email me to send them back, they didn't mentioned something for update, so hard to believe that this brand release this great sounding buds with ios connectivity issues!
It's not just IOS. I also think there were tons of QC issues, which we have seen with these bigger companies, especially on their first gen TWS products Even B&O, which has made several versions now, seems to have QC issues with the EQ. Hopefully B&W can figure this out for their 2nd gen. I have asked B&W a few times about firmware updates and they couldn't confirm there was one coming and suggested replacements based on the issues I was having.

I use Android and it took me 2 warranty replacements (I am on my third pair) to get one where I didn't have to factory reset every week. The first pair couldn't even get through a single song without cutouts. My 2nd pair, the ANC didn't work until toggled off and back on first and I had to factory reset 3 or 4 times as well to just get the buds to reconnect. My latest pair isn't perfect but it's been working ok for the last few months. Now I have said that, I have probably jinxed myself and will need to factory reset them later.

I will say that, in addition to great SQ, they have been my go to for Zoom calls recently as well (mics seem to pick up better for Zoom calls on my laptop than my Galaxy Buds Live, although my two pairs of Galaxy Buds Live are still my go to for phone calls).

Oct 17, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #924 of 1,155
Another irritation that I've noticed is that sometimes, when I put them in my ears, there is a slight imbalance in the sound; showing a bias to the right channel. I listen to lots of electronic/dance music where the bass drum is almost always dead centre in the mix, so it's quite noticeable when it happens.

To eliminate the possibility that it's just me placing them in my ears incorrectly, when it happens I quickly swap them into the opposite ear (they sound fine if you turn them upside down when doing this). Sure enough, there will now be a slight bias to the left channel.

I find that putting them back in the case and taking them out again often rebalances them. Could it be that the software is telling each earbud to draw slightly different amounts of power from their respective batteries and the right is therefore sometimes slightly louder?

It's a pain having to mess around with them so much. Anyone else get the same thing? I'm using Spinfit CP100 tips but it happened with the stock tips as well so it's not that.
Hi yes this happens to me as well, thought I was imagining it but definitely a noticeable difference if you put them back in the case and then take them back out. Is there a workaround? Or best to just return?

Oct 17, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #925 of 1,155
Another irritation that I've noticed is that sometimes, when I put them in my ears, there is a slight imbalance in the sound; showing a bias to the right channel. I listen to lots of electronic/dance music where the bass drum is almost always dead centre in the mix, so it's quite noticeable when it happens.

To eliminate the possibility that it's just me placing them in my ears incorrectly, when it happens I quickly swap them into the opposite ear (they sound fine if you turn them upside down when doing this). Sure enough, there will now be a slight bias to the left channel.

I find that putting them back in the case and taking them out again often rebalances them. Could it be that the software is telling each earbud to draw slightly different amounts of power from their respective batteries and the right is therefore sometimes slightly louder?

It's a pain having to mess around with them so much. Anyone else get the same thing? I'm using Spinfit CP100 tips but it happened with the stock tips as well so it's not that.
Mine work fine.

Oct 18, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #926 of 1,155
Hi folks,

New to head-fi, been around the hi-fi world a long time. I finally joined the wireless world with the PI7 and am quite
pleased. Having used Livewires Trips, since the founder John Diles walked me through the selection process back in
2013, I decided to go wireless because the wired iems seem to get in the way at the worst times, though the Trips
will always be available in non active work/events as they sound significantly better, even now.

I have some questions that those of you using the PI7 may have figured out but have not posted. I've gone over all
sixty-two pages of this thread.

The phone I use is the OnePlus Nord N10 5g, I know not the best phone out there but plenty for my needs, and the
FiiO M11 Pro. The rest of my equipment involves Emotive Audio tube preamps, Bob Carver tube amps and Vandersteen
speakers. Early Marantz, Pioneer, Luxman, JBL's, Canton, and much more spread out in various locations.

I prefer listening to music through speakers and do so often. On the road I obviously use my iems. My one over the ear
headphones are Koss Pro 4AA's bought in the 1978, not in use now, but, in good shape.

The first deals with the recognizing/pairing of the case. It shows up as a possibility to pair but continuously get rejected
by the case. This involves both the phone and the FiiO. Any thoughts?

The second deals with the codec on the FiiO. Does anyone use the M11 Pro and have you figured out how to get
aptx-hd to pair? Both Bowers & Wilkins and FiiO claim that they support it. I have no issues pairing with classic aptx.

On another note I've seen that many of you have swapped out ear tips with aftermarket tips and I have found that
the Comply TX-400's also work here. I've been going back and forth here debating which I like oem or the 400's.
I used the 400's with some wired Klipsch iems with great effective before the LiveWires Trips made listening a great
experience.

Thanks to all who made it through my long winded intro, not to be repeated.

Pete

Oct 18, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #927 of 1,155
Hi Pete!

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #930 of 1,155
Happy with my second pi7 pair, however i need a biger tip from the large stock tip for the left bud, which is the best option for third party tips for pi7?
I'm using JVC spiral dots and they work perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back