Bowers & Wilkins PI7
Sep 24, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #886 of 1,155
Just got the PI7 a week ago and I love them! I never got into wireless because it was always a step down in audio qulaity, but I got these as a goof just to wear at work, and with my M8, these sound amazing! I often choose these over my $1K PW cable and $1,600 custom Valkyries...these are truly audiophile earbuds!!!!
Yup they're crazy good. They absolutely decimate my RHA T20s, well reviewed £200 wired earbuds. i imagine they don't have the resolving power of your Valkyries, but I can imagine the signature being preferable, it's a very nice tonality.

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #887 of 1,155
Yup they're crazy good. They absolutely decimate my RHA T20s, well reviewed £200 wired earbuds. i imagine they don't have the resolving power of your Valkyries, but I can imagine the signature being preferable, it's a very nice tonality.
It's just warm and rich and clear with good layering and rich bass. I'm good to go! And of course the freedom of no wires? yeah, baby!

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #888 of 1,155
Just curious; which tips are folks using with these? Haven't bothered with the stock tips yet.... Does anyone prefer foam over silicon?
I use Final Audio Type E TWS on mine. Spinfit CP100z also worked for me but prefer these with the Final TWS tips. If you are not familiar with Final Audio Type E tips, there is a regular version and one that is specifically made for "TWS". I like the TWS version for the shallower fit.

Sep 24, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #889 of 1,155
Just took ownership of the Spinfit CP360 TWS eartips, and they sound really terrific; even richer bass, if you can believe it, but there is some much needed control here, and the PI7 really sounds rich and smooth. Also, the profile is lower than what I was using so they fit deeper into my ear. Listening to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan...true audiophile wireless...phenomenal!

20210924_205725.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #890 of 1,155
Hate the spinfits, can't get a good seal...threw on my trusty JVC Spiraldots, and now it is really perfect. Fit, seal, and sound is superb.

Sep 30, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #891 of 1,155
Picked up my pair earlier today and excited to try them out.

Sadly, i'm getting the same issue as some others here...the headphones refuse to connect in AptX HD with my Sony NW-WM1A and will only connect via aptx (classic). Funnily enough, my BW PX's connect to the Sony with AptX HD just fine. Further, they do not connect to my Astell & Kern AK300 at all - nothing.

I have a creative BT-W3 lying around and I am able to connect with all codecs (AptX LL, AptX HD, AptX, SBC) with no issues.

Dropped a note to support, but if this can't be fixed then these will have to go back. The Sony is my primary source gear and if these can't connect via AptX HD as advertised then these will have to go sadly.
Happening to me with my WM1a too, only connecting by aptx....

Annoying, I was going to do a side by side for you guys on the WM1a
PI7 vs Campfire Vega 2016, a £1300 iem lol.

With aptx its no competition, but I think if i could get aptx hd on the wm1a itd be more interesting.

Oct 2, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #893 of 1,155
I can get aptx-HD working on my ZX507 when selected through Developer options. I’ll see if I can post some pictures to verify.
I just returned my new ZX507 as all streaming apps through Android 9 on the device downsamples all APTX HD to 44z. Battery was a major issue also. If Sony decides to do an update to the ZX507 then I’ll take another look. Right now I’m looking for a device that adequately provides true lossless through APTX HD. The new (cheaper) fiio m11 plus ltd maybe?

Oct 2, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #894 of 1,155
I just returned my new ZX507 as all streaming apps through Android 9 on the device downsamples all APTX HD to 44z. Battery was a major issue also. If Sony decides to do an update to the ZX507 then I’ll take another look. Right now I’m looking for a device that adequately provides true lossless through APTX HD. The new (cheaper) fiio m11 plus ltd maybe?
I returned the ZX507 too. Get the WM1a, 20+ hour battery life, much, much better sound with Mr Walkman's WM1z firmware.

Oct 2, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #896 of 1,155
What about APTX HD ? Does the WM1A do bit perfect lossless over APTX HD?
AptX HD is not a lossless codec. Just less lossy then regular aptX, AAC etc due to its higher bitrate.

Whether or not you can actually tell the difference or care is a different story...

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #897 of 1,155
AptX HD is not a lossless codec. Just less lossy then regular aptX, AAC etc due to its higher bitrate.

Whether or not you can actually tell the difference or care is a different story...
Thanks for your reply. So do some better daps provide better nitrate sampling than 44hz for streaming services?

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #898 of 1,155
Thanks for your reply. So do some better daps provide better nitrate sampling than 44hz for streaming services?
I dont use a DAP so maybe someone else can answer but I would not expect a big difference over bljetooth if you are using the same codec (aptX HD or aptX adaptive in the case of the PI7s). A lot depends on the implementation on both the phone and TWS (not just codec). I think if you are talking about also using wired then a DAP can be better but doubt it for just bluetooth. I never saw the point of a DAP for bluetooth only and just use my phones (LG V60 and Oneplus 8T). Personally, for bluetooth and streaming only, I would just get a decent phone with the codecs you need (LDAC, aptX HD, aptX adaptive, etc.) as you are more likely to get the latest software and OS updates this way vs a DAP. But that is my opinion and others who have more experience with DAPs may disagree. If you are looking for wired SQ, TWS are not there yet in my opinion. Bluetooth is inherently lossy, although Qualcomm claims its new codec will be lossless for CD quality (not out yet).

All this being said, I don't think it makes my PI7s any leas convenient or enjoyable.

Oct 3, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #899 of 1,155
I dont use a DAP so maybe someone else can answer but I would not expect a big difference over bljetooth if you are using the same codec (aptX HD or aptX adaptive in the case of the PI7s). A lot depends on the implementation on both the phone and TWS (not just codec). I think if you are talking about also using wired then a DAP can be better but doubt it for just bluetooth. I never saw the point of a DAP for bluetooth only and just use my phones (LG V60 and Oneplus 8T). Personally, for bluetooth and streaming only, I would just get a decent phone with the codecs you need (LDAC, aptX HD, aptX adaptive, etc.) as you are more likely to get the latest software and OS updates this way vs a DAP. But that is my opinion and others who have more experience with DAPs may disagree. If you are looking for wired SQ, TWS are not there yet in my opinion. Bluetooth is inherently lossy, although Qualcomm claims its new codec will be lossless for CD quality (not out yet).

All this being said, I don't think it makes my PI7s any leas convenient or enjoyable.
Thanks again for replying. I need a dap for my various headphones and semi-high end iems also in addition to my pi7. Also, something like the Sony Z507 was ideal for its build quality and size as I’m at the gym a lot.

Any idea when the Qualcomm chip will get implemented in phones or daps?

Oct 4, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #900 of 1,155
I very much agree with alle the findings about the sq when connected to the case, but I am also very curious to learn about the technical details of the case.
I ordered the Fiio LT-LT1 cable to connect my case to the iPhone/iPad as I'm not ready to break out of the Apple ecosystem just yet haha!

Cheers!
Hello,
Does this cable work well? Then which codec the case use?
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back