Bowers & Wilkins PI7
Aug 30, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #872 of 1,155
Well I've been enjoying the PI7's for a couple of weeks now. But, last night I could not get these headphone to quit my M1 MacMini, and connect to my 2021 iPad Pro. I did go to the B&W's Headphone app. to end the connection to the M1 MacMini. That did not work.

I did reboot the iPad and saw the PI7 listed available. But no joy in connecting to the PI7 via the iPad Pro. I also attempted to reset the PI7 via the inside battery case button. I'm not sure if I ever got that right, as I could still see my iPhone listed in the Headphones app.

I thought about deleting the Headphone app. from both the iPad and iPhone. But, I connected the PI7 to the iPhone, listened to music, and killed that connection via the Headphone App. At that point I finally got the iPad to connect to the PI7. But then I got a few "pops" while listening to music, and when I was moving around to different open apps. on the iPad the music would pause.

Oddly today I had no issues when listening to Apple Music on the iPad and the PI7.

Has anyone else run into similar issues? I have a technical support question in at B&W.

Aug 31, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #873 of 1,155
Well I've been enjoying the PI7's for a couple of weeks now. But, last night I could not get these headphone to quit my M1 MacMini, and connect to my 2021 iPad Pro. I did go to the B&W's Headphone app. to end the connection to the M1 MacMini. That did not work.

I did reboot the iPad and saw the PI7 listed available. But no joy in connecting to the PI7 via the iPad Pro. I also attempted to reset the PI7 via the inside battery case button. I'm not sure if I ever got that right, as I could still see my iPhone listed in the Headphones app.

I thought about deleting the Headphone app. from both the iPad and iPhone. But, I connected the PI7 to the iPhone, listened to music, and killed that connection via the Headphone App. At that point I finally got the iPad to connect to the PI7. But then I got a few "pops" while listening to music, and when I was moving around to different open apps. on the iPad the music would pause.

Oddly today I had no issues when listening to Apple Music on the iPad and the PI7.

Has anyone else run into similar issues? I have a technical support question in at B&W.
I'm able to effortlessly switch between my 2021 iPad Pro and my iPhone 12 Pro with no issues. Just have to use the app or connect through Bluetooth settings. Been working very well. Also able to quickly change between those two and my Creative BT-W3 and my older iPhone 10 Max. Wish the PI7 was able to connect to multiple devices at the same time though.

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #874 of 1,155
Test done on Samsung Note 20 Ultra with Aptx.

My guesses only....
The right bud drains more battery compared to the left side - must be due to the right need to transmit signals to the left.
Meaning:
[Source] - transmit ==> receive - Right_Bud - transmit ==> receive - Left_Bud

So the right does both receive and transmit. Drains more battery this way.

And due to right transmission to the left, intermittent loss is possible due to distance.
I think the right transmitter signal is not strong enough to go thru our brain and onto the left bud.
Confirmed by bringing the Right closer to the left - it works well (direct line of sight between the 2 buds - within 5cm)

So my right bud, must've have transmitter fault/defect within.

As of now, I have sent message to B&W and their system auto forwarded it to my local country B&W to attend on my issue.
Have to wait for their reply now.
I had the same issue with my PI7s. After several resets and fiddling with them they started working correctly again. But maybe a week later the problem cropped up again. 1 headphone would work while other wouldn't. ANC and ambient worked on both but not music. Holding the left ear bud close to the right one would get the sound to play but move it just a few inches away and sound cut-off. Had to send them in under warranty. Got another pair shortly afterwards and they're working as expected. As you stated, it appears to be a defect in the right transmitter. B&W was very responsive and helpful with the issue. Hopefully they've recognized a manufacturing or parts defect and rectified it.

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #875 of 1,155
I had the same issue with my PI7s. After several resets and fiddling with them they started working correctly again. But maybe a week later the problem cropped up again. 1 headphone would work while other wouldn't. ANC and ambient worked on both but not music. Holding the left ear bud close to the right one would get the sound to play but move it just a few inches away and sound cut-off. Had to send them in under warranty. Got another pair shortly afterwards and they're working as expected. As you stated, it appears to be a defect in the right transmitter. B&W was very responsive and helpful with the issue. Hopefully they've recognized a manufacturing or parts defect and rectified it.
Many thanks! I’m going to open a repair/replace ticket later today per their recommendation in response to my inquiry too B&W. Now if they would just adapt their Headphone application to display in landscape on my iPad Pro :ksc75smile:

Sep 16, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #877 of 1,155
I hate to say it, but my PX7's refuse to let me connect via their app. on my iPad 2021 Pro. It is almost like having their app. on my iPhone, is preventing connection to their app. on my iPad. No, I'm not running both at the same time.

I do love the sound these earbuds give! When I have time I'll update.

Edit: Sure enough, I have to use the B&W "Headphones" app. on my iPhone to manage my the various options on the PI7s. So unless I figure this out I have to alway have my iPhone with me while trying to use my iPad for use with these headphones.

I'l try to start from scratch tomorrow. Delete the Headphones app. on both devices and do a hard reset on the batter case, as well as delete them from settings>bluetooth on both devices.

I don't want give these up, but I can't even imagine what iOS 15 is going to do with these in about a week.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #879 of 1,155
3 days with pi7 and the left bud stops streaming after the buds slept all night in the case, after reset them all ok but until the next day, so this means i have to reset them every day, i have already contacted with the support to let me know waht i have to do. If you got a new pair and the issue solved propably from a specific serial no and after the buds havn't this issue. Can you mention how many numbers after is the second pair?

Sep 21, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #880 of 1,155
I listened to these in the shop against Sony and I do enjoy these more. But what does B&W say about these issues. FW or HW solvable?

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #881 of 1,155
Just got the PI7 a week ago and I love them! I never got into wireless because it was always a step down in audio qulaity, but I got these as a goof just to wear at work, and with my M8, these sound amazing! I often choose these over my $1K PW cable and $1,600 custom Valkyries...these are truly audiophile earbuds!!!!

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #882 of 1,155
Just got the PI7 a week ago and I love them! I never got into wireless because it was always a step down in audio qulaity, but I got these as a goof just to wear at work, and with my M8, these sound amazing! I often choose these over my $1K PW cable and $1,600 custom Valkyries...these are truly audiophile earbuds!!!!
You are very brave with that statement. :beyersmile: I do love mine! I just wish they would switch between my iMac/iPhone/iPad with consistency of connection. I've earlier reported some woes about changing devices to listen to these earbuds. Maybe it is just my Apple world?

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #883 of 1,155
You are very brave with that statement. :beyersmile: I do love mine! I just wish they would switch between my iMac/iPhone/iPad with consistency of connection. I've earlier reported some woes about changing devices to listen to these earbuds. Maybe it is just my Apple world?
Yeah, It's a little finicky with connection....They do not consistently turn off/on with removal, but that may be the tip i'm using may be a little to big and is interferring with the sensor. Just ordered the new spinfit CP360 specifically with TWS, hopefully that will help.

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #884 of 1,155
Yeah, It's a little finicky with connection....They do not consistently turn off/on with removal, but that may be the tip i'm using may be a little to big and is interferring with the sensor. Just ordered the new spinfit CP360 specifically with TWS, hopefully that will help.
You mean you are lucky to have only this connection issue, i hope to be more lucky with the next 2nd pair. Big sound, big money, big brand big problems!

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #885 of 1,155
You mean you are lucky to have only this connection issue, i hope to be more lucky with the next 2nd pair. Big sound, big money, big brand big problems!
Just curious; which tips are folks using with these? Haven't bothered with the stock tips yet.... Does anyone prefer foam over silicon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back