Bowers & Wilkins PI7
May 8, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #106 of 1,155
"These are far from perfect but the sq is top 3 and maybe even the best in a tws headphone".
Agreed, the PI7s sound is the best of the tws phones I have tried. I ditched the stock tips for xelastec - the sound is the much the same as spinfits but they stick in my ears better.

That being said, my current PI7s are going back (wireless charging not working, sizzling in right phone, although bluetooth has stabilised, oddly enough) and a replacement is on its way.
Interestingly, i did not experience any dropouts yesterday either under the same circumstances where I had them a couple of days ago.

May 8, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #108 of 1,155
You have to take both earbuds out in quick succession without allowing the case to close before taking the 2nd piece out. ANC seems fine to me. With no pass-through, I can't hear anything outside. Haven't really made phone calls in a loud busy area, though
Just received mine ANC is non existent on all settings just seems to not be working at all, I wonder if they faulty or need a firmware update, also tried the case plugged into my chord mojo with poly using the supplied usb c to analogue headphone out, the volume distortion is on pi7 is woeful, the case cannot cope with the power from the mojo have to have the volume really low on the mojo but then volume on the pi7 is to low, will keep testing

May 8, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #109 of 1,155
Just received mine ANC is non existent on all settings just seems to not be working at all, I wonder if they faulty or need a firmware update, also tried the case plugged into my chord mojo with poly using the supplied usb c to analogue headphone out, the volume distortion is on pi7 is woeful, the case cannot cope with the power from the mojo have to have the volume really low on the mojo but then volume on the pi7 is to low, will keep testing
This ANC issue is fascinating and is exactly like the mtw2. Some reported terrific ANC and others said it did nothing at all. No middle ground. Makes me wonder if there is more going on such as fit issues that is making the ANC work in some and not on others.

May 8, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #110 of 1,155
This ANC issue is fascinating and is exactly like the mtw2. Some reported terrific ANC and others said it did nothing at all. No middle ground. Makes me wonder if there is more going on such as fit issues that is making the ANC work in some and not on others.
Perhaps its a fitment issue, obviously the microphones have to have an unobstructed "view" of the noise they are expected to cancel. Some people also report poor call quality when others have no issues, probably for the same reason.

May 8, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #114 of 1,155
Seeing as this review acknowledges the faults, I’ve just ordered a pair. If SQ is good enough i dont mind losing the airpods convenience. Lets see.
I can’t see you being disappointed with the sq. If you find them too warm, go with spinfits or something similar.

May 8, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #115 of 1,155
So I have been tip-rolling again, quite extensively. I took out all the tips I could find (iBasso tips, Spinfit dual flange, Fiio tips) and on some tips the ANC seems to be a tad more effective. This is likely due to the way these tips seal.

As far as sq is concerned, I noticed that large bore tips make them sound harsh and uncontrolled so to speak. Smaller bore tips work best, but the SpinFits really open them up without sacrificing low-end. They’re quite remarkable that way to me, even more so when connected through the case (with the case connected to iPhone for streaming duties).

I’m underwhelmed by the ANC, but I’d very happily sacrifice the ANC for this kind of sq. The pass-through functionality is not as good as the app (on those it is rather impressive) but it is very functional and I can live with it. And the case functionality, how it can act as a streamer, is a nice bonus that I’m actually using a lot.

So all in all I think B&W didn’t really disappoint, but let’s hope they can and will add the finishing touches with sw upgrades.

May 8, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #116 of 1,155
So I have been tip-rolling again, quite extensively. I took out all the tips I could find (iBasso tips, Spinfit dual flange, Fiio tips) and on some tips the ANC seems to be a tad more effective. This is likely due to the way these tips seal.

As far as sq is concerned, I noticed that large bore tips make them sound harsh and uncontrolled so to speak. Smaller bore tips work best, but the SpinFits really open them up without sacrificing low-end. They’re quite remarkable that way to me, even more so when connected through the case (with the case connected to iPhone for streaming duties).

I’m underwhelmed by the ANC, but I’d very happily sacrifice the ANC for this kind of sq. The pass-through functionality is not as good as the app (on those it is rather impressive) but it is very functional and I can live with it. And the case functionality, how it can act as a streamer, is a nice bonus that I’m actually using a lot.

So all in all I think B&W didn’t really disappoint, but let’s hope they can and will add the finishing touches with sw upgrades.
Always compromises sadly. That said it feels as though B&W saw a market for this, the same market the MW07+ hit I think, people who want wired IEM level SQ in a true wireless, and don’t mind making do with mostly passive noise cancellation.

It does make me wonder though, if B&W instead of bothering with ANC, which is apparently useless, just focused on sound, how many people would have bought it? That could’ve brought the price down considerably. I know that personally when I know I’m going to need ANC, e.g., subway, flights, coffee shops, I’ll just take my over ears. Because even though the Airpods Pros have class leading ANC, it’s not really considerable enough imo to be all that useful anyway.

May 8, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #117 of 1,155
Why is it off the mark and misleading? I'm not even saying Powerbeats Pro sounds good that good (that's why I've bought the PI7 and others), but that PI7 sounds awful with ANC turned off, and is hardly impressive when it is turned on.
Is your source significantly better than mine (Apple Music with iPhone 12 Pro)?

I'd wager the PI7 and everything else I own that a good number of the reviews are total hack jobs that have gone off other reviews, press releases, and specs. Two drivers and amps, B&W branding, and the highest TW price yet – it must be the best. But it really isn't.
I think you’re talking nonsense. And your credibility is seriously in question. I think the Pi7’s are frankly in a different league to all other TWS I either own or have tried, but as others have pointed out, sound and our ability to hear it is subjective. Nevertheless, if you think that 256k AAC is the best reference material, then you’re just wrong. I have several dedicated players capable of resolving music from Qobuz or Tidal that the B&W play very nicely in 24/48 and the difference is stark. Obviously you won’t agree, and that’s fine. Its what makes the world an interesting place, but there’s no need to hate on those of us who are enjoying the Pi7’s even if they’re not to your taste.

May 8, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #118 of 1,155
… tried the case plugged into my chord mojo with poly using the supplied usb c to analogue headphone out, the volume distortion is on pi7 is woeful, the case cannot cope with the power from the mojo have to have the volume really low on the mojo but then volume on the pi7 is to low, will keep testing
I’ve got an ifi Ear Buddy on order for a similar use-case, to see if it helps.

May 8, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #119 of 1,155
Always compromises sadly. That said it feels as though B&W saw a market for this, the same market the MW07+ hit I think, people who want wired IEM level SQ in a true wireless, and don’t mind making do with mostly passive noise cancellation.

It does make me wonder though, if B&W instead of bothering with ANC, which is apparently useless, just focused on sound, how many people would have bought it? That could’ve brought the price down considerably. I know that personally when I know I’m going to need ANC, e.g., subway, flights, coffee shops, I’ll just take my over ears. Because even though the Airpods Pros have class leading ANC, it’s not really considerable enough imo to be all that useful anyway.
I’m not sure ANC would have brought the cost down a whole lot. ANC is now fully integrated in the Qualcomm chipset. I’m probably oversimplifying things but it’s probably mostly plug and play these days with very little increase in cost. People are beginning to expect ANC on their tws. Now implementing ANC properly (Apple, Sony and Bose) clearly requires more engineering than the chipset. Everyone else is doing it just to put the label on the box. It’s clearly an afterthought and check the box.

May 8, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #120 of 1,155
Hi everyone, just registered here to collaborate with this thread as I don't think many people own these and some impressions will help others to decide.

I read first about the PI7 in reddit, then of course I looked for the proper thread on head-fi to see some opinions about it I do that always and so far worked for me with my other headphones/iems/etc...

Got them a couple of days ago and so far, I am very happy but at the same time, with a weird feeling that B&W could improve few things for the price.

What I like:

+ Sound is very good, very good. It is the first time I don't miss my other wired IEMS when I am listening music. I have tried many of the ones commented in the "Going Wireless?" thread and no others i tried, have brought me the feeling that I can survive without my wired gear. Until
The PI7 shine in almost every tone if you compare them with any others. Very good separation and a quite decent soundstage. Impressive for wireless earbuds.
+ Case able to stream through Bluetooth (aptx-ll). This is cool and a very nice use case of how a case can be used not only to charge the burs
+ very good calls: at the beginning i was annoyed because no one could hear me. Reason? I wasn't wearing them properly. If you buy those, remember to wear them as it is explained in the manual, the microphones must be in the right position.
+ very nice fit, and very comfortable to wear.
+ Fast Charge and Wireless charging works fine for me aswell.

Where were my doubts before getting those?
-> ANC (Active Noise Cancelling):
The truth is that after reading some comments in this forum, i started to think that my unit was also wrong. So what I did was to get videos from youtube and reproduce them on my speakers and later directly with my DT 1770 pro directly while using the PI7 to see what is the ANC capable of. Some videos like:
-Like Noise In Flight

City noise:

Coffee shop noise:

Well, it works, for me, the whole package (Isolation + ANC) is quite good. In the streets i hear just my music unless i put the ambience sound. For me it is worth the money and I am keeping them very happy.. I know here many people were saying that ANC is a crap, so I accept that there are different sentiments about this in every review I have read. ANC works just for Mids and Lows. Highs are not being processed and i am thankful for that because all the other with great ANC modify the sound while using it, but the PI7 no, there is no difference with it on and off. My conclusions: most likely you will have a great flight but still will hear the baby next to you crying unless you increase your earbuds volume.

-> Battery life: Well, I am fine to put them back in the case at least once every 4 hours :p, as with 15 minutes you would get aprox the half of it. Battery emptied once after a couple of very long videocalls, other than that, I am happy but i understand that the first days you want to use them extra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back