Bowers & Wilkins PI7
May 1, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #16 of 1,155
Also, my ANC is much worse than the Sony ‘s. It hardly seems to work at all. I wonder if you have been able to figure it out.
Oh dear, strange reviewers are saying it’s almost class leading? If the ANC is bad I really won’t bother. £350 is too much for wireless buds without ANC or transperency imo.

May 1, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #17 of 1,155
Could you explain the workaround please. I just got mine. I agree with you that these are a solid step up from the Sonys. I also noticed that with my DAP, a Lotoo PAW 6000, I have to have its volume at %80-100 to get normal volume from the PI7.
Thanks a lot.

You have to take both earbuds out in quick succession without allowing the case to close before taking the 2nd piece out. ANC seems fine to me. With no pass-through, I can't hear anything outside. Haven't really made phone calls in a loud busy area, though

May 1, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #18 of 1,155
Oh dear, strange reviewers are saying it’s almost class leading? If the ANC is bad I really won’t bother. £350 is too much for wireless buds without ANC or transperency imo.

I'd disagree with his comments. I think the ANC is on par w/ my Sony XM3

May 1, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #19 of 1,155
I also experienced the "quiet" issue. I'm not one to listen to loud music and I needed them at 80-100% at all times to be decent. It almost felt as if they just didn't have enough power/amplification which led me to return them after just a couple days. The fitment design was solid but the silicone eartips didn't work well for me (they usually don't). My Sennheiser IE 300 were my main point of comparison since I just got those a few weeks ago and they are my first IEM's. Those included foam eartips which I much prefer and are extremely comfortable for someone that hates in-ear anything. I also previously bought and returned the Sony WF-1000XM3 last year. I found those to be a bit boomy and the huge design/weight made them fall out of my ears. The Pi7 fit much better than the Sony's with the way they rotate behind the bony part of the ear and lock into place but the eartips were uncomfortable.

After going back and forth between the IE 300 I decided the Pi7 couldn't match the audio quality of the Sennheiser. I didn't think aftermarket foam ear tips would have made enough difference to keep them although it would have helped with comfort. The Pi7 sounded good in all areas. Decent pretty tight bass, ok midrange, good clarity and treble. But the Sennheiser's just felt like they were on another level. Deep rich bass, warmer tones, more v-shaped (fun) sound stage with lots of depth. The treble of the Senns is a little harsh for me. This made the Pi7 easier to listen to with some tracks but I just found them kind of boring overall.

If the Sennheiser IE300 could be made into Bluetooth headphones they'd be perfect (for me). For now I'm using them with my iPhone and a Fiio BTR5 when I need slightly less restriction but it's not ideal compared to truly wireless. I'll be buying the next gen airpods/airpod pros hoping they make some improvements in audio quality since they work far better in every other regard (mic quality, connectivity, case size, etc.) than any bluetooth headphones I've ever used.

May 1, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #20 of 1,155
I also experienced the "quiet" issue. I'm not one to listen to loud music and I needed them at 80-100% at all times to be decent. It almost felt as if they just didn't have enough power/amplification which led me to return them after just a couple days. The fitment design was solid but the silicone eartips didn't work well for me (they usually don't). My Sennheiser IE 300 were my main point of comparison since I just got those a few weeks ago and they are my first IEM's. Those included foam eartips which I much prefer and are extremely comfortable for someone that hates in-ear anything. I also previously bought and returned the Sony WF-1000XM3 last year. I found those to be a bit boomy and the huge design/weight made them fall out of my ears. The Pi7 fit much better than the Sony's with the way they rotate behind the bony part of the ear and lock into place but the eartips were uncomfortable.

After going back and forth between the IE 300 I decided the Pi7 couldn't match the audio quality of the Sennheiser. I didn't think aftermarket foam ear tips would have made enough difference to keep them although it would have helped with comfort. The Pi7 sounded good in all areas. Decent pretty tight bass, ok midrange, good clarity and treble. But the Sennheiser's just felt like they were on another level. Deep rich bass, warmer tones, more v-shaped (fun) sound stage with lots of depth. The treble of the Senns is a little harsh for me. This made the Pi7 easier to listen to with some tracks but I just found them kind of boring overall.

If the Sennheiser IE300 could be made into Bluetooth headphones they'd be perfect (for me). For now I'm using them with my iPhone and a Fiio BTR5 when I need slightly less restriction but it's not ideal compared to truly wireless. I'll be buying the next gen airpods/airpod pros hoping they make some improvements in audio quality since they work far better in every other regard (mic quality, connectivity, case size, etc.) than any bluetooth headphones I've ever used.

Not sure why you're comparing a 300$ IEM with a 400$ IEM? They're pretty much a separate product category.

TWS earbuds sacrifices sound quality for technical features and convenience.

Sure you get a bit better sound quality, but you don't get:

Auto reconnect
No wires
Anc
Ambient mode

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #21 of 1,155
Not sure why you're comparing a 300$ IEM with a 400$ IEM? They're pretty much a separate product category.

TWS earbuds sacrifices sound quality for technical features and convenience.

Sure you get a bit better sound quality, but you don't get:

Auto reconnect
No wires
Anc
Ambient mode
Because it's my only current point of reference that's close enough to be worth comparing and if someone else has the IE 300 it may give them a point of comparison. If the Pi7 were 80% as good as the IE 300 I would have kept them for the convenience. They were far enough apart that I will continue to deal with the BTR5 and wires for now until something better comes along.

Btw I did find the noise cancellation impressive on the Pi7. Seemed at least as good as the WF-1000XM3 from what I remember but maybe a bit worse than my WH1000XM4 (I didn't compare them side-by-side)

May 1, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #22 of 1,155
You have to take both earbuds out in quick succession without allowing the case to close before taking the 2nd piece out. ANC seems fine to me. With no pass-through, I can't hear anything outside. Haven't really made phone calls in a loud busy area, though
FWIW I'm fairly certain I removed both earbuds in quick succession during all of my testing and still noticed issues with volume (needed to be at 80-100% minimum)

May 1, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #23 of 1,155
Because it's my only current point of reference that's close enough to be worth comparing and if someone else has the IE 300 it may give them a point of comparison. If the Pi7 were 80% as good as the IE 300 I would have kept them for the convenience. They were far enough apart that I will continue to deal with the BTR5 and wires for now until something better comes along.

Btw I did find the noise cancellation impressive on the Pi7. Seemed at least as good as the WF-1000XM3 from what I remember but maybe a bit worse than my WH1000XM4 (I didn't compare them side-by-side)
I still find it strange, a tws must fit a battery and a SoC, so there's way less space for drivers/acoustic. Also build will mostly be plastic for optimal Bluetooth connectivity.

It would be like comparing a open back headphone with a closed back one. It's physically impossible for a closed back headphones to match the openness of an open back one.

May 1, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #24 of 1,155
I still find it strange, a tws must fit a battery and a SoC, so there's way less space for drivers/acoustic. Also build will mostly be plastic for optimal Bluetooth connectivity.

It would be like comparing a open back headphone with a closed back one. It's physically impossible for a closed back headphones to match the openness of an open back one.
Of course. I didn't expect it to be as good but I also didn't expect it to be as far off as it was. I think TWS will get "there" and be in-line with wired IEM's eventually. I just set my expectations too high for the current tech available and the price point.

May 1, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #25 of 1,155
FWIW I'm fairly certain I removed both earbuds in quick succession during all of my testing and still noticed issues with volume (needed to be at 80-100% minimum)
Well yes, my preferred listening level on the IE7 is between 80-95% and rarely have to go to 100%. It's not like my Sony Xm3 which is probably 60%, but as long as I figured out how to make it listenable unlike the first time around, I'm fine. First time around it was half that volume at 100%, so that a deal breaker. But now it's usable and enjoyable.

May 2, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #28 of 1,155
I'd disagree with his comments. I think the ANC is on par w/ my Sony XM3
I appreciate the comment. I made the original observation. I am going to call support tomorrow and see if I am doing something wrong with the ANC. I am currently trying the Xelastec tips, which seal very well. I have the Sonys and the ANC is dramatic. I am hoping support can help me sort it out. I have turned off the auto ANC in the app. I cycle the left bud’s ANC on/off long touch switch, and just don’t hear anything but minor differences. I really really like the sound. They are punchy and clean sounding. I have some high end wired IEMs so I do appreciate sound quality. The B&Ws are not going to match top tier wired buds, but they are very good. Anyway, if folks have experience with the ANC on the Sony buds and say the these are as good or better, then maybe I just got an problematic pair or maybe I can figure out how to reboot them and see if there is a difference.

May 2, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #30 of 1,155
I appreciate the comment. I made the original observation. I am going to call support tomorrow and see if I am doing something wrong with the ANC. I am currently trying the Xelastec tips, which seal very well. I have the Sonys and the ANC is dramatic. I am hoping support can help me sort it out. I have turned off the auto ANC in the app. I cycle the left bud’s ANC on/off long touch switch, and just don’t hear anything but minor differences. I really really like the sound. They are punchy and clean sounding. I have some high end wired IEMs so I do appreciate sound quality. The B&Ws are not going to match top tier wired buds, but they are very good. Anyway, if folks have experience with the ANC on the Sony buds and say the these are as good or better, then maybe I just got an problematic pair or maybe I can figure out how to reboot them and see if there is a difference.
I had my Pi7 at a very busy, loud public setting today, Redondo Beach Pier, and it took away most of the sound when I turned on ANC, but I can also turn on pass through and it sounds pretty good. I wouldn't say pass through is as natural sounding as the airpod pro, but still really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back