Bowers & Wilkins PI7
Jul 8, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #556 of 1,155
First impressions are a bit disappointing to be honest but the good things first:

They sit well in my ears, they sound good, they look nice and call quality seems alright but that's about it (for now). I don't think I have much use for the wireless transmitter feature, even if it is innovative.

There's a lot to criticise for me unfortunately:

1. They are significantly quieter in volume than the Sony WF-1000XM4 and I don't like that. I didn't like it on my Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 and I don't like it here. A dual driver set up is a nice thing to have in theory but that's a bit disappointing.

2. Connectivity issues. The distance away from the phone is also significantly less than on the WF-1000XM4. Seems less than most other true wireless IEMs that I have owned so far. Also, a few minor drop outs in the first couple of listening hours.

3. Sound quality. It's been praised like crazy everywhere and I'm not exactly sure why. Yes they sound very good, no question. However, I'm not even sure that they sound much better than the Sonys (which is more a praise for the XM4 than it is a criticism for the PI7).

4. Battery life is really short in comparison. That's no new information of course and was known before even buying them but still I paid 150€ extra for them in comparison to the WF-1000XM4 and got half the battery life, so yeah that's still worth mentioning at the very least.

5. ANC is definitely not as good.

6. The case is pretty large.

7. Being unable to turn on transparency mode without the app is terribly inconvenient and should be fixed in a firmware update sooner than later if you ask me.

8. They are missing nice to have features of the Sonys like an EQ (!) or something like speak to chat etc.

So, these will be tough to keep for me. For 250€-299€, they would be an easier sell but for 399€ they really challenge me to not like them because of all their quirks and issues, at least for now.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #557 of 1,155
First impressions are a bit disappointing to be honest but the good things first:

They sit well in my ears, they sound good, they look nice and call quality seems alright but that's about it (for now). I don't think I have much use for the wireless transmitter feature, even if it is innovative.

1. They are significantly quieter in volume than the Sony WF-1000XM4 and I don't like that. I didn't like it on my Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 and I don't like it here. A dual driver set up is a nice thing to have in theory but that's a bit disappointing.

2. Connectivity issues. The distance away from the phone is also significantly less than on the WF-1000XM4. Seems less than most other true wireless IEMs that I have owned so far. Also, a few minor drop outs in the first couple of listening hours.

3. Sound quality. It's been praised like crazy everywhere and I'm not exactly sure why. Yes they sound very good, no question. However, I'm not even sure that they sound much better than the Sonys (which is more a praise for the XM4 than it is a criticism for the PI7).

4. Battery life is really short in comparison. That's no new information of course and was known before even buying them but still I paid 150€ extra for them in comparison to the WF-1000XM4 and got half the battery life, so yeah that's still worth mentioning at the very least.

7. Being unable to turn on transparency mode without the app is terribly inconvenient and should be fixed in a firmware update sooner than later if you ask me.

8. They are missing nice to have features of the Sonys like an EQ (!) or something like speak to chat etc.

So, these will be tough to keep for me. For 250€-299€, they would be an easier sell but for 399€ they really challenge me to not like them because of all their quirks and issues, at least for now.
I hear you. I find myself using the PI7 less and less after I got my WF-1000XM4, as the sony is a clear win over the PI7 except for the SQ, and it is fairly close even in that regard.

And I find myself hoping for the "frequent firmware updates" as per the B&W app and so far there is nothing......

Jul 8, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #558 of 1,155
I hear you. I find myself using the PI7 less and less after I got my WF-1000XM4, as the sony is a clear win over the PI7 except for the SQ, and it is fairly close even in that regard.

And I find myself hoping for the "frequent firmware updates" as per the B&W app and so far there is nothing......
Exactly. I was really surprised how close the Sonys are in SQ. Everything else is much better on the XM4 anyway. Sony will also definitely put out more and way more frequent firmware updates to improve an already great product. It seems to show that this is B&W first real true wireless in ear set, whereas Sony has been doing that for many years now, really.

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #559 of 1,155
Exactly. I was really surprised how close the Sonys are in SQ. Everything else is much better on the XM4 anyway. Sony will also definitely put out more and way more frequent firmware updates to improve an already great product. It seems to show that this is B&W first real true wireless in ear set, whereas Sony has been doing that for many years now, really.
Are you using the PI7s with an iPhone?

They are seriously much worse on iPhone. The fact you're saying they're quiet is a giveaway to me the source is likely using AAC, or perhaps something is up with the source, because with an Aptx-HD source these bad boys are loud, and sound about 30-40% better. They're definitely louder than my old Momentum true wireless.

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #560 of 1,155

They are seriously much worse on iPhone. The fact you're saying they're quiet is a giveaway to me the source is likely using AAC, or perhaps something is up with the source, because with an Aptx-HD source these bad boys are loud, and sound about 30-40% better. They're definitely louder than my old Momentum true wireless.
For me, I am using my PI7s and XM4s with Galaxy Z Fold 2 and a Surface Book 3. On both platforms PI7 is definitely not as loud as the Sony XM4s at same volume levels on the source. PI7 is on AptX and XM4s are on LDAC/SBC.

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #561 of 1,155
For me, I am using my PI7s and XM4s with Galaxy Z Fold 2 and a Surface Book 3. On both platforms PI7 is definitely not as loud as the Sony XM4s at same volume levels on the source. PI7 is on AptX and XM4s are on LDAC/SBC.
Oh sure, I have no idea on that. But I have extensively a/b them from different sources and they're very source dependent. From my Xperia 1 ii they're amongst the loudest tws ive ever heard along with the mw07+ (Aptx HD) from my iPhone XS Max they're so quiet I'd seriously question keeping them. iPad Pro the volume sits between the iphone and xperia.

I seriously doubt many people would want louder than they go on the Xperia, and I'm a 100% volume kind of guy.

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #562 of 1,155

Yes, I am using an iPhone and yes they are slightly louder on my iPad Pro as well.

However, that‘s still the „fault“ of the PI7 in my book, because the WF-1000XM4 for example get very (!) loud on the same iPhone (XS Max) using AAC as well, obviously. So, I don‘t see why the Sony can easily get loud on the iPhone and the Pi7 cannot when they are seemingly capable to be loud on other (Android) devices. That is still disappointing for 400€, I think.

Jul 8, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #563 of 1,155
Yes, I am using an iPhone and yes they are slightly louder on my iPad Pro as well.

However, that‘s still the „fault“ of the PI7 in my book, because the WF-1000XM4 for example get very (!) loud on the same iPhone (XS Max) using AAC as well, obviously. So, I don‘t see why the Sony can easily get loud on the iPhone and the Pi7 cannot when they are seemingly capable to be loud on other (Android) devices. That is still disappointing for 400€, I think.
I agree it's a fault. Honestly when I first heard the PI7 on my iPhone I was like 'instant return', then I tried them on an Xperia, and was blown away. They went from being just a hair better than my MW07+ to being downright the best earbuds I'd ever heard full stop, and an easy choice over the Airpods Max.

The why, who knows honestly I'm not engineer I just tinker. Good audio gear is often source dependent, and we audiophiles usually adapt and weave or settle if we want convenience. I chose to change from iOS because I wanted SQ, honestly I'd much rather an iPhone than this Sony phone...

Btw maybe try them from the case to get a taste of what I'm talking about. From the Iphone XS Max they're simply not worth the money. It's a shame B&W didn't thoroughly test them with multiple sources, as I've never noticed such a source dependent bluetooth headphone, nor one that rewards you so much for going aptx HD. They really are sensational.

Jul 8, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #564 of 1,155
You should try your BT-W3 with another lightning to usb-c dongle to know for sure that's not causing these issues.
Off topic a little bit, I haven't been able to find a lightning to usb-c dongle to use with my iPhone and connect it to the BT-W3. Can you provide a link where I can find one? Also for aptHD to take advantage of the source material, does Apple lossless make a difference? Thank you

Jul 8, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #565 of 1,155
Off topic a little bit, I haven't been able to find a lightning to usb-c dongle to use with my iPhone and connect it to the BT-W3. Can you provide a link where I can find one? Also for aptHD to take advantage of the source material, does Apple lossless make a difference? Thank you
See below, was replying on mobile and it double posted by accident.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #567 of 1,155

I agree with all of this. I've actually purchased the PI7 twice. First time I returned them because I purchased the XM4 and saw immediately that they were the better value with much better function and usability than the PI7. After about a week I started missing the PI7 and repurchased them. Mainly because of the bass of the PI7 which I feel is much more full and powerful than on the XM4. Figured the sound would outweigh the other downfalls. Well, just yesterday I returned my PI7 again and will not purchase them again unless I hear of a firmware update dropping that improves the features. For me, the BIGGEST issue with the PI7 is the fact that you have to go into the app to put it into transparency mode. This is a huge deal breaker for me in a pair of commuter earbuds. If I only used them at home that's one thing, but I much prefer my over-ear headphones, both wired and wireless, for at home listening. The XM4 for now is an easy keeper over the PI7. The only thing the PI7 has over the Sony is SLIGHTLY better sound quality. But I agree with you, it's not night and day. I could argue that the XM4 are a little clearer in the mid range. And I'm on iOS as well and can cosign that the XM4s do get louder.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #568 of 1,155
I agree with all of this. I've actually purchased the PI7 twice. First time I returned them because I purchased the XM4 and saw immediately that they were the better value with much better function and usability than the PI7. After about a week I started missing the PI7 and repurchased them. Mainly because of the bass of the PI7 which I feel is much more full and powerful than on the XM4. Figured the sound would outweigh the other downfalls. Well, just yesterday I returned my PI7 again and will not purchase them again unless I hear of a firmware update dropping that improves the features. For me, the BIGGEST issue with the PI7 is the fact that you have to go into the app to put it into transparency mode. This is a huge deal breaker for me in a pair of commuter earbuds. If I only used them at home that's one thing, but I much prefer my over-ear headphones, both wired and wireless, for at home listening. The XM4 for now is an easy keeper over the PI7. The only thing the PI7 has over the Sony is SLIGHTLY better sound quality. But I agree with you, it's not night and day. I could argue that the XM4 are a little clearer in the mid range. And I'm on iOS as well and can cosign that the XM4s do get louder.
iphone or altx hd out of interest?

Jul 9, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #570 of 1,155
iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPad Pro, and MacBook Pro
Ah that explains it somewhat I guess.

What I find interesting is that you guys still think the PI7 is a hair better than the XM4 on the iPhone. I wonder if the XM4 scales with Aptx hd/sources too?

Wish I could show you guys how they sound on an Xperia 1 ii vs iPad Pro, it's crazy lol, it's what I imagined PI5-PI7 difference would be. Everything is so much bigger and more impressive. Also definitely something to bear in mind for prospective buyers, Apple users should probably avoid the PI7, but those with Aptx-hd capable devices are clearly getting the best sound quality by some margin I think, unless the XM4 also scales in a crazy way with codecs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back