Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
May 18, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #1,832 of 1,955
Not to mention there seems to be this erroneous belief that firmware updates can solve every issue people identify.

May 19, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #1,833 of 1,955
Not to mention there seems to be this erroneous belief that firmware updates can solve every issue people identify.
My question was simply if anyone noticed any impact on the noise floor after fw update. I do realize that the electronics has its limitations but it doesnt hurt to ask, right? :)

May 19, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,834 of 1,955
My question was simply if anyone noticed any impact on the noise floor after fw update. I do realize that the electronics has its limitations but it doesnt hurt to ask, right? :)
Never hurts to ask, and while it seems that I was singling you out, which was reasonable for you to believe and I'm sorry about that; in reality it was a pent up reaction to every thread where there is a problem of some sort and invariably the first suggestion is the standard we need a firmware update. Sorry if you got caught in the crossfire.

May 21, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #1,835 of 1,955
My P7W's have developed a defect after a couple of years. Regardless of the volume setting I'm using, the notification sounds are at max volume whenever I turn the unit on. Any idea what might be causing this and how to fix it?

May 21, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #1,836 of 1,955
My P7W's have developed a defect after a couple of years. Regardless of the volume setting I'm using, the notification sounds are at max volume whenever I turn the unit on. Any idea what might be causing this and how to fix it?
This happened to me but on my PX. Hard reset fixed it.

May 21, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #1,837 of 1,955
Try pressing the volume down button once you turned on the headphones but before it connects to your default device. May take a few tries.

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #1,838 of 1,955
I'm still reeling from how much better these sound than the Airpods Max...I'd break it down, but really, its like going into an entirely different tier of headphone. If only the ANC & connectivity of the Apple headphone could be put into the B&W one. These truly are one of the best value buys now, I got mine used for £65!

IMG_0173.jpg

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #1,839 of 1,955
I'm still reeling from how much better these sound than the Airpods Max...I'd break it down, but really, its like going into an entirely different tier of headphone. If only the ANC & connectivity of the Apple headphone could be put into the B&W one. These truly are one of the best value buys now, I got mine used for £65!

IMG_0173.jpg
Hmm, I own both and wouldn't say one sounds better than the other let alone in another tier. There are some songs that sound amazing on the APM.
The P7 Wireless are just consistent, you know what you are going to get.
Two different experiences and I'm glad I own both.

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #1,840 of 1,955

IMG_0173.jpg

The p7w's are very special headphones. I bought another pair of my Mrs, and I paid a lot more than 65 quid, you got an absolute bargain there.

The best thing is how good they sound wired out of my dragonfly red DAC. Absolutely awesome sound quality for what it is. Best headphone rig I've ever had and that includes ones with separate amps and DACs!

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #1,841 of 1,955
The p7w's are very special headphones. I bought another pair of my Mrs, and I paid a lot more than 65 quid, you got an absolute bargain there.

The best thing is how good they sound wired out of my dragonfly red DAC. Absolutely awesome sound quality for what it is. Best headphone rig I've ever had and that includes ones with separate amps and DACs!
Agreed, it's insane how well they scale! I just ran them from my WM1a with Wm1z firmware and it was a huuuge boost in sound. Superb paring, as the Sony has a warm, lush sound which amplified by the fun punch of the P7w.

I wonder what went so right with these. Ive owned/own most of the bluetooth headphones people rave about (Airpods Max, Momentum 3, PX7, mw65) yet these have some quality that makes them so damn...fun

The seller was on ebay, he listed them mistakenly as p5 wireless, hence the low price haha.

Oct 8, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #1,842 of 1,955

Haha same. When head-fi was going crazy that the AirPods Max is better than headphones like the Sennheiser HD 800S …. i was like ….. bruh, it is not even better than the B&W P7W at best.

Apparently, the engineer that worked on the B&W P7W, also worked on the AirPods Max, so it is kinda a B&W headphone with ANC and stuff.

In the end, I use the AirPods Max the most as a wireless headphone because it has ANC and the pads of the Sony WH-1000XM3 are too shallow for me (my ears touch the inside of the headphone).

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #1,843 of 1,955
Hmm, I own both and wouldn't say one sounds better than the other let alone in another tier. There are some songs that sound amazing on the APM.
The P7 Wireless are just consistent, you know what you are going to get.
Two different experiences and I'm glad I own both.
Are you sure? Demo them side by side. It is one of those rare cases of objectively better imo, the mid range is feeble and missing something on the APM. I haven't gone into it clinically, but it's one of those cases where you just know (like going from a sundara to a clear or hd800s) the other headphone is superior.
But, could be my ears.
Haha same. When head-fi was going crazy that the AirPods Max is better than headphones like the Sennheiser HD 800S …. i was like ….. bruh, it is not even better than the B&W P7W at best.

Apparently, the engineer that worked on the B&W P7W, also worked on the AirPods Max, so it is kinda a B&W headphone with ANC and stuff.

In the end, I use the AirPods Max the most as a wireless headphone because it has ANC and the pads of the Sony WH-1000XM3 are too shallow for me (my ears touch the inside of the headphone).
Anyone saying the APM is better than the HD800S is hallucinating. They're the kind of people you could get to believe in homeopathy, mind over matter. The APM cannot compete with $200 wired headphones, and that's just the harsh truth. Its a shame as I adore the design, the pairing, the comfort, controls...To me they're the perfect headphone, minus the sound, and in the end thats what matters.

I know about the B&W engineers being poached by apple. I just wished theyd made it a bit more B&W. If they sounded like P7s or P9s Apple would've stolen the market.

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #1,844 of 1,955
Anyone saying the APM is better than the HD800S is hallucinating.
No one ever said this. There was one comparison to the HD800S because the person's headphone collection only consisted of 2 or 3 other headphones before getting the APM (800S being one of them). The results were that the 800S was a technically far superior headphone (no doubt about it), but there were some qualities of the APM that were preferable over the 800S. The user got a lot of flack for even making the comparison in the first place. That user never actually said the APM was a better headphone. Though sonically, I'd rate the APM closer to a pair of 2-300 dollar audio-dedicated headphones (including the DAC/amp to drive the headphones, if needed).

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #1,845 of 1,955
hello friends , so i found a mint p7w on my local retail , its used but very rarely, the only downside is that since it was artificial leather the pouch got cracks on the bottom part, the seller said it happend because its never being used and stayed on the box for so long, the 2 cable that comes with it had never being used so everything beside the pouch was 99% condition, the headphone leather, earcup, band and everything, i had a p5 (wired) from many" years ago and it got very beaten up to the point the cable got errors , the earcup torned etc , because the p5 give me a great service i planned to get the p7w , i recently bought Airpod pro to listen music so is it a big jump of an upgrade to buy p7w? On the side note i planned to use the p7 for a fun enjoyable home listening with my iphone and currently apple music for the source, is it worth the price for $250 used by today headphone standard having ANC, better driver etc? Buying advice would be very appreciated as I didn't have much budget thanks to airpod 🥲

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back