Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #1,802 of 1,955
Honestly, if the P7W had a more comfortable headband it would be the perfect set of Bluetooth headphones. I much prefer the leather padding to the fabric Apple has chosen. Fabric + skin/hair oils = gross. I wish B&W had gone wider & flatter with the headband. The wedge-like shape they used feels like knuckles on my skull after some time. Wish there was a aftermarket solution for this. Sometimes I wear a baseball cap while listening to them just to decrease the sensation.

Apr 30, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #1,803 of 1,955
Honestly, if the P7W had a more comfortable headband it would be the perfect set of Bluetooth headphones. I much prefer the leather padding to the fabric Apple has chosen. Fabric + skin/hair oils = gross. I wish B&W had gone wider & flatter with the headband. The wedge-like shape they used feels like knuckles on my skull after some time. Wish there was a aftermarket solution for this. Sometimes I wear a baseball cap while listening to them just to decrease the sensation.
Yeah the headband absolutely sucks lol. I might try and modify it.

Apr 30, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #1,805 of 1,955
So refreshing to hear from an Apple Ecosystem user who is objective. Very rare in my experience. I used to own the P7W and thought they were quite special. It isn't surprising if you think about it, a speaker company with years of experiencing voicing speakers tuning headphones and knowing just how important the mid range is. They say that is where the music lives and I have to agree that all else being equal, a speaker or headphone that portrays the vocal with some magic will always be engaging. I would like to get a P7W again. Really miss them I must say.

May 1, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #1,806 of 1,955
So refreshing to hear from an Apple Ecosystem user who is objective. Very rare in my experience. I used to own the P7W and thought they were quite special. It isn't surprising if you think about it, a speaker company with years of experiencing voicing speakers tuning headphones and knowing just how important the mid range is. They say that is where the music lives and I have to agree that all else being equal, a speaker or headphone that portrays the vocal with some magic will always be engaging. I would like to get a P7W again. Really miss them I must say.
I agree, it isn’t too suprising given the company. The experience, talent pools and equipment B&W has is of course far beyond what Apple can field in audio, although I know they poached some B&W engineers for the Airpods Max.

It’s just interesting seeing that difference being so glaringly obvious. The P7 wireless are superb, having owned most bluetooth headphones they are imo by far and away the best available. I see your point about ecosystem and non objectivity, I can really feel a part of my brain being seduced by the convenience of the APM, but the part of me that enjoys music, and artistic expression just can’t get over the P7w, and after all that’s what music is about, not seamless auto pairing and transparency mode.

May 1, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #1,807 of 1,955
I always felt that the P7W had an excellent, and extremely engaging tuning. Sadly you can't find a new set to buy anywhere it seems. I only sold my P7W as at the time I was back in university and had very limited funds so when I wanted to try new gear, which I always do, I had to sell existing gear to make that happen.

May 3, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #1,808 of 1,955
Hi all P7w appreciators. Long time forum lurker, first time writer here.
I have owned the P5, P7 wired and also own the PX. Still missed my P7 so much so I hoped that the PX7 would solve that, but no.
So, a few days ago I found a good condition P7w sold used on "Swedish ebay" , without accessories as "buy it on your own risk, may or may not work".
Auction rendered little interest from other bidders so I ended up paying 30 USD for a pair that looks and feel brand new, expect for the lack of cables.
Sound is great, more lively and PRAT than the PX, really makes Zeppelin sound more fun than on the comparably anemic PX.
I notice a faint background hiss / noise floor but I guess that is to be expected. Didnt have it with the PX but on the other hand the PX is useless with analogue cable due to the much louder hiss.

I am reaching out to ask you:
1. How the h*ll do I reset the list of paired devices so that the P7w can learn my iPhone as the "primary device" and connect automatically upon power on? Now I have to manually select it in the phone's list of paired devices, every time.
2. Would you buy the original cable from B&W (~30 USD) for home use, or rather go for something else from ebay or similar?
3. If you did update the firmware, did that do anything with the background hissing? Or still the same?

Thanks,

May 3, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #1,809 of 1,955
Hi all P7w appreciators. Long time forum lurker, first time writer here.
I have owned the P5, P7 wired and also own the PX. Still missed my P7 so much so I hoped that the PX7 would solve that, but no.
So, a few days ago I found a good condition P7w sold used on "Swedish ebay" , without accessories as "buy it on your own risk, may or may not work".
Auction rendered little interest from other bidders so I ended up paying 30 USD for a pair that looks and feel brand new, expect for the lack of cables.
Sound is great, more lively and PRAT than the PX, really makes Zeppelin sound more fun than on the comparably anemic PX.
I notice a faint background hiss / noise floor but I guess that is to be expected. Didnt have it with the PX but on the other hand the PX is useless with analogue cable due to the much louder hiss.

I am reaching out to ask you:
1. How the h*ll do I reset the list of paired devices so that the P7w can learn my iPhone as the "primary device" and connect automatically upon power on? Now I have to manually select it in the phone's list of paired devices, every time.
2. Would you buy the original cable from B&W (~30 USD) for home use, or rather go for something else from ebay or similar?
3. If you did update the firmware, did that do anything with the background hissing? Or still the same?

Thanks,
Just fixed issue #1 and managed to reset the list of paired devices. Thanks me.

May 3, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #1,810 of 1,955
Welcome to the club of P7W owners! :D

I would buy the original cable from B&W, as there is a rather unusual fit. I haven't seen good aftermarket cables for the P7W.
As for the hiss, in my set it became a bit less obvious with the latest update but it never vanished completely. This is to be expected, as the electronics are always running near the driver in the earcup so it's not a big shame imho.

Enjoy the P7's!

Regards

May 3, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #1,811 of 1,955
Welcome to the club of P7W owners! :D

I would buy the original cable from B&W, as there is a rather unusual fit. I haven't seen good aftermarket cables for the P7W.
As for the hiss, in my set it became a bit less obvious with the latest update but it never vanished completely. This is to be expected, as the electronics are always running near the driver in the earcup so it's not a big shame imho.

Enjoy the P7's!

Regards
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the hiss is not really bothering me that much. Especially not on a 30 USD investment :)

May 3, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #1,813 of 1,955
what kind if fool sells the P7w for thirty bucks.

Sound great dont they
The woman who auctioned them sold them as "may or may not work" because she didnt have any usb micro cable. I told her that upfront that she could perhaps try, but she insisted on selling them to the highest bidder anyway... :)
Sounds like 10 times the cost, still.
Still one of the coziest sound signatures I have heard.

May 4, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #1,815 of 1,955
Damn it. Now I cant listen to my PXs anymore. Zeppelin on those sound like someone unplugged the bass...
Haha I noticed the same, Zepp sounds absolutely brill on the B&Ws, and my PX (which I ended up returning) were more hollow. When I listened to Zepps Knebworth gig on my P9s it was probably the best musical experience I’ve ever had outside of live performance. If you like p7w you’ll probably get a lot from the P9, they just crank everything the P7w does up to a whole new league.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back