Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Jun 8, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #1,711 of 1,955
I personally do prefer the PX, in general, with ANC off, as I value to a greater degree the clarity and spaciousness of the sound that the PX has when ANC is off. I am just telling you that I noted that the timbre of drums and the low end sounds more real when ANC is on, then when it is off.

I can appreciate both sound signatures, but I tend still towards listening to it with ANC off, despite the shortcomings.
I never had the chance to extensively listen to either of these headphones, so if I may ask, as a suggestion/recommendation or even your personal preference, which one would be your pick, out of B&O, B&W, MWs or any other one for that matter. Considering that I’m a fan of SQ, listen to rock and jazz, commute a lot, watch lots of YouTube and Netflix and won’t mind ANC!

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #1,713 of 1,955
Hi, i don't think there's a thread for the wired version or i can't find one.

Mine have developed a noticeable buzzing in the right channel. It's only certain music that seems to set it off, pianos especially. Is this familiar to anyone? Fixeable? They're not under warranty but i'd be prepared to pay if it's fixeable, these have served me well.

Sep 14, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #1,714 of 1,955
Just wondering how these P7W's would compare to something like a Fostex TH-X00. Not to replace them as such, just as a comparison. I've currently got DT990s for my desktop rig but I'm always a little disappointed in the bass with open headphones and they are no exception, the P7's kick their proverbial behinds when it comes to bass, so I was thinking of replacing the 990 with a closed phone and was just wondering how much of an upgrade something in that class of headphones would be in comparison to the P7s (which for me are at least on a par with, if not better than DT990s in most areas other than open-ness and treble detail).

Sep 21, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #1,715 of 1,955
Well, I've got to say, these P7's are in my opinion really good headphones regardless of being wireless or not.

I tried some HD58x to replace my DT990, they were the complete opposite of those, and for that reason, I didn't get on with them either. Where the DT990s were bright and thin, unforgiving, the HD58x were full bodied but rolled off and boring. Then I plugged the wire into the P7's, plugged them into my DAC. Wow!! They destroy the other two. Not sure whether to even bother with trying a Fostex as I'm really enjoying music out of these. They just have a real fun, full bodied, in your face sound so it looks like these are now taking over as being my main cans for now!

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #1,716 of 1,955
Sep 21, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #1,717 of 1,955
And Amazon is selling recertified P7 Wireless right now for $135.96, a superb price for these, ships and sold by Amazon:

Bowers & Wilkins P7 Bluetooth Wireless Bluetooth Over Ear Headphones, Black, Recertified https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WDM84YC/

I got someone on the HD58x thread to buy a pair when I was waxing lyrical over them!

I paid £240 for mine ($300 USD) and I don't feel in the least bit disappointed for that price, so for $136 it's a complete and utter steal IMO. Thats under £100 in UK money and I'm not confident I could do better for less or even considerably more.

Sep 21, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #1,718 of 1,955
So using these in wired mode, I have tried them once in the past out of my NAD D3020 and felt they weren't massively different. However, I am now listening to them out of the headphone jack of my DAC (A Beresford Caiman II) and the sound is very agreeable indeed, definitely a step up from using the wireless. I suspect it's just because you are using a better source for the most part and aren't losing bits when you do using wireless. I'm wondering now if they would improve with a half decent amp, as maybe the output impedance is too high from the NAD. It still sounds really good don't get me wrong, but it does just sound better straight from the DAC!

I even had my speakers playing earlier, then went straight to these. Moving from speakers to phones nearly always sounds like a downgrade to me, until my ears get used to it, but I'm shocked to find they definitely don't now! I am honestly questioning the need to upgrade to Fostex, maybe they would be better, but I don't feel as though I need to find out as what I'm hearing is sure very nice indeed! :)

Another thing I like is the way they are really kind to less than optimal recordings, making them still sound really really fun and engaging, while still rewarding for better source material. Many headphones make me want to rip them off my head listening to less than ideal recordings.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #1,719 of 1,955
Just wondering how these P7W's would compare to something like a Fostex TH-X00. Not to replace them as such, just as a comparison. I've currently got DT990s for my desktop rig but I'm always a little disappointed in the bass with open headphones and they are no exception, the P7's kick their proverbial behinds when it comes to bass, so I was thinking of replacing the 990 with a closed phone and was just wondering how much of an upgrade something in that class of headphones would be in comparison to the P7s (which for me are at least on a par with, if not better than DT990s in most areas other than open-ness and treble detail).

I've had P7W and TH-X00PH at the same time and now I have two pairs of P7W to have one as backup. That says it all, right? :)

P7W is phenomenal both wired and wireless imo.

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #1,720 of 1,955
I've had P7W and TH-X00PH at the same time and now I have two pairs of P7W to have one as backup. That says it all, right? :)

P7W is phenomenal both wired and wireless imo.

Well that is interesting indeed. I have actually listened to most of my favourite tracks again this afternoon using the P7Ws wired to my DAC, and I honestly did think to myself whether it was worth bothering spending the money, and you seem to have confirmed it!

I could be tempted to get another pair myself if I see any going cheap!

Sep 27, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #1,723 of 1,955
Sorry, thread is too long to read. Maybe someone can tell me the inner size of the earcups in cm? Do they really fit over the ears?
Opening size is 1.25 x 2.25 inches which is on ear for me. The P7 reminds me of the Sennheiser Momentum Gen 1 over ear, both in sound and the fact that they sit on your ear. That said the P7 is quite comfortable.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #1,725 of 1,955
Opening size is 1.25 x 2.25 inches which is on ear for me. The P7 reminds me of the Sennheiser Momentum Gen 1 over ear, both in sound and the fact that they sit on your ear. That said the P7 is quite comfortable.
My only complaint about the P7W is comfort....haven't read (or noticed) anyone pad swapping with these. IMO much better sounding than my other bluetooth set (Sony MDR-1ABT)....but the Sony's win in comfort. (although I wouldn't consider them great in that dept.)

Bern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back