Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #1,127 of 1,955
Anyone compared the sony mdr1000x and b&o h9 against p7 wireless? If i sold my p7.Wich of the two headphones would be worth buying? in regards to sound quality.

My 1000X is due to be delivered today so later I can at least comment on the sound as compared to the P7 wireless, but I sold my P7 so I'm going by memory.

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #1,128 of 1,955
I recently flown to the UK for my holiday with my B&O H9 and I bought a P7 Wireless(henceforth P7W) at Heathrow Airport on my return trip and IMO, strictly on sound quality, I would say the B&O H9 is closer to the P7W. I have tried the Sony 1000x many times at multiple locations(Sony stores, my local headphone shop, airport galleries, etc) and really haven't been impressed by its sound(and build) quality. The ANC on the 1000x is really excellent, easily on par or better than the Bose QC35, but its sound quality really isn't at the same level as the P7W or H9. H9's sound quality is closer to the P7W but then the H9's ANC isn't anywhere near as good as the 1000x, so while it did drown out the plane's engine to a more bearable level, it didn't exactly drown them out as much as the Bose or Sony would. On my return trip, I used the P7W for the entire flight and, personally, I don't find too much difference in my listening experience compared to the H9. Even though the P7W doesn't come with ANC, I can still catch dialogs easily from the in-flight movies at mid-volumes, I am still tapping my feet when I am listening to my music on my phone and while jet engine may be louder compared to the H9, I feel I can still live with them for long distance flights. Of course it helps that I am not a frequent flyer so I don't really have a pressing need for an ANC headphone, but if I were, I would probably lean towards the Bose QC35.

The thing here is what type of headphones you are looking for, if you are looking for headphones with ANC as priority I would suggest looking at the Bose QC35 or Sennheiser PX550, I have been more impressed by either than the Sony 1000x, though none of them are at H9 or P7W's sound quality level. But if you are looking for a wireless headphone with sound quality as priority I would really just stick with the P7W, they really aren't that much worse in terms of isolation compared to the H9.

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #1,129 of 1,955
I tend to agree with most of your comments, I have the P7W's and the Senn PXC550, I had the QC35's for a few months and have listened a few times to the Sony 1000x.
Best SQ of the ones I have owned/listened to are the P7W's by quite a bit although I do find that the PXC550's are the one's I will go for now that I have set the in-built equaliser to 'Director' mode - now they have a bit more ooomph in the bottom end, not quite as emphasised as the P7W's but I find them quite a bit more comfortable and the ANC really helps when I use them in the TV room when others are watching TV...
I am a little disappointed in the hiss level of the P7W's but I think that is a compromise due to the incredible amount of volume/gain they have and in this respect they leave the PXC550's standing - quite often I find that I need the 550's at max volume, I have never ever had the P7W's at max - they would really damage my hearing...
So for me it's a bit of a toss up between my present 2 sets and I will be keeping both - I love the SQ and the suoerb build quality and feel of the P7W's, they have the edge over the 550's but the 550's are a brilliant set if you really need ANC, plus they have so many cutting-edge features (USB speaker from PC/USB charge whilst using BT/very useful touchpad control/double tap to pause music & hear ambient sound/2 BT connections at once/a very comprehensive APP with full EQ control/switchable ANC - off/med/full
Another good thing that's not mentioned in many PXC550 reviews - you can leave them switched on with ANC on but no source playing and they will not auto-switch off after 10mins - brilliant for long flights where you need ANC but no music...
So for me the P7's have the absolute best build and SQ, the PXC are close (and more comfortable) the Bose QC35's had great ANC but poor audio, the Sony's I just couldn't get to like either from a SQ POV or for the build and look, plus they are very expensive in Australia...
Highly recommend the P7W's unless you really need ANC

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #1,130 of 1,955
I tend to agree with most of your comments, I have the P7W's and the Senn PXC550, I had the QC35's for a few months and have listened a few times to the Sony 1000x.
Best SQ of the ones I have owned/listened to are the P7W's by quite a bit although I do find that the PXC550's are the one's I will go for now that I have set the in-built equaliser to 'Director' mode - now they have a bit more ooomph in the bottom end, not quite as emphasised as the P7W's but I find them quite a bit more comfortable and the ANC really helps when I use them in the TV room when others are watching TV...
I am a little disappointed in the hiss level of the P7W's but I think that is a compromise due to the incredible amount of volume/gain they have and in this respect they leave the PXC550's standing - quite often I find that I need the 550's at max volume, I have never ever had the P7W's at max - they would really damage my hearing...
So for me it's a bit of a toss up between my present 2 sets and I will be keeping both - I love the SQ and the suoerb build quality and feel of the P7W's, they have the edge over the 550's but the 550's are a brilliant set if you really need ANC, plus they have so many cutting-edge features (USB speaker from PC/USB charge whilst using BT/very useful touchpad control/double tap to pause music & hear ambient sound/2 BT connections at once/a very comprehensive APP with full EQ control/switchable ANC - off/med/full
Another good thing that's not mentioned in many PXC550 reviews - you can leave them switched on with ANC on but no source playing and they will not auto-switch off after 10mins - brilliant for long flights where you need ANC but no music...
So for me the P7's have the absolute best build and SQ, the PXC are close (and more comfortable) the Bose QC35's had great ANC but poor audio, the Sony's I just couldn't get to like either from a SQ POV or for the build and look, plus they are very expensive in Australia...

As stated the P7'w have a huge amount of gain/volume and this has the unfortunate effect of creating a significant amount of amp hiss. I have found though that by reducing the headphone volume and increasing the source volume I can reduce the hiss to about 30% depending on how much the headphone volume is decreased by.

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #1,131 of 1,955
As stated the P7'w have a huge amount of gain/volume and this has the unfortunate effect of creating a significant amount of amp hiss. I have found though that by reducing the headphone volume and increasing the source volume I can reduce the hiss to about 30% depending on how much the headphone volume is decreased by.

I experience the exact opposite you do. Im running my P7W through a Woo WA7 and WA7tp and hear ZERO hiss. In fact its deafining quiet.

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #1,133 of 1,955
I don't hear any hiss connected to my iPhone wirelessly. Also I just flew to the UK and tried P7W and H9's and the ANC made a huge difference over the P7W, basically I couldn't use P7W when I fly so ANC is a must at least for me.

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #1,134 of 1,955
I don't hear any hiss connected to my iPhone wirelessly. Also I just flew to the UK and tried P7W and H9's and the ANC made a huge difference over the P7W, basically I couldn't use P7W when I fly so ANC is a must at least for me.

You'll only hear it during quiet parts or when listening to audio books etc, as soon as the headphones don't detect any audio they cut the amp. Most of the time music will be playing over the top so you won't notice it the hiss. I only notice it when watching tv/films through the telly. All headphones have it to varying degrees, the P7's aren't actually that bad but it's most noticeable when they're set at full volume.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #1,135 of 1,955
 Originally Posted by Graham Baker 

Yeah, I like the PXC 550 as well from the few times I tried them as well but I didn't want to include too many headphones in my original post, heh. I do think they have a very good balance between sound quality, functionality and good active noise cancellation, also the battery life is absolutely stellar. I haven't had the chance to test the PXC 550 at home, but if the  PXC 550 can block out TV noise, that is a big plus in my books, my H9 barely blocks out anything from the TV. In fact, I was debating between getting the PXC 550 or P7 Wireless before deciding on the latter as I realise I don't fly as frequently now... I think the PXC 550 are a little underrated on this forum as well? I could hardly find anything about them in this forum back when I was toying with the idea of adding another headphone to my collection. 

One more thing that I also didn't mention in my original post is that the QC35, PXC 550 and P7 Wireless can stay connected to 2 devices at the same time, whereas both the H9 and Sony 1000x can only stay connected to 1 at a time, and it is kinda a big deal for me since I work on my laptop(where the majority of my music library is) frequently and would like my headphone to stay connected to my phone in case I have an incoming call or text. 

As for the hiss, I can't say I hear them, maybe I just didn't pay enough attention or I did not turn them up loud enough. I also agree the amount of volume on the P7W is insane, I cannot imagine anyone listening on max volume!

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #1,136 of 1,955
I don't find the 1000X to have compromised sound quality, in fact I find it pretty nice sounding, but a little less bass than I typically prefer and certainly geared toward detail retrieval over warmth. The soundstage is actually pretty impressive I found (all my listening is done with ANC defeated). I also don't get the critiques about build quality, seems rather nice to me in this regard as well. Each to their own as they say.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #1,137 of 1,955
Can I skip Tidal Hifi with these and iPhone? Theres alot of space used for offline hifi-albums vs AAC 320Kbps on high-setting.. I will try it out tomorrow and compare but someone might have already?

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #1,138 of 1,955
  I don't find the 1000X to have compromised sound quality, in fact I find it pretty nice sounding, but a little less bass than I typically prefer and certainly geared toward detail retrieval over warmth. The soundstage is actually pretty impressive I found (all my listening is done with ANC defeated). I also don't get the critiques about build quality, seems rather nice to me in this regard as well. Each to their own as they say.

​Really you can't go wrong with any of these models, they are all very very good, they all have their good points and bad, not one of them is totally perfect *for me* but I would be happy with any one set...
At the end of the day it's all down to personal preference and price/value for money...

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #1,139 of 1,955

​Really you can't go wrong with any of these models, they are all very very good, they all have their good points and bad, not one of them is totally perfect *for me* but I would be happy with any one set...
At the end of the day it's all down to personal preference and price/value for money...

Absolutely, I loved the P7 wireless, really did, I think it is still my favourite Bluetooth headphone followed by the H500BT (closely followed I might add) and I suspect the 1000X would grow on me. It is leaner in the bass, but it seems to be very clean and tight bass with plenty of speed. I was listening to a Deadmau5 track I like and with the 1000X there was some very clear bass detail that was being obscured by the P7 and H500BT as both of those models give extra bass energy. As you said, strengths and weaknesses from any design. Thankfully there are so many signatures to chose from these days, and ideally if money allows we can have a few models to cover the bases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back