Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #632 of 1,955
On page 37 (assuming page numbers are absolute) of this thread I stated using an iPhone widget to get a percentage battery level reading. The simple flashing LED when you turn them on the P7's is very unintuitive and must be checked immediately. After using I have found the the battery level is reported on your iPhone in discreet increments similar to the flashing LED. You get 100%, 70%, 50%, 30% and ????. I (so far have) always recharge when it gets to 30% or before.  So it probably has a 10% and then 0% dead. Still much better than turning off/on to look at the flashing LED (and remembering the sequence). 

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #633 of 1,955
  I returned my H9's. I just ordered some  of the current wireless contenders: H9, Sony 1000x and P7 Wireless. I sent Sony and the Beoplay back. The Sony because it was heavy and the NC was resulting in hiss sounds and pressure on my eardrums which I didn't like. The H9 had horrible bass.

Strangely I experienced that sensation (pressure, but no hiss) with the Bose QC35. Made me feel a bit nauseous after a while. Didn't experience it with the 1000x though. Not tried the H9.

Quote:
  I would get CIEMs if you travel a lot instead of NC headphones or very well fitting IEMs. But that is just me. 

Same for me. I prefer the the passive isolation of a custom over any current generation electronic noise canceling technology. My FitEar customs remain my primary listening rig (not including my speaker setup), both at home and on the move. Heck, sometimes if I'm stuck in slow moving traffic while driving, I'd rather pop the CIEMs into my ears instead of using my car's stereo. Doesn't necessarily have to be a custom fit, you could get similar levels of isolation with some universal IEMs (Etymotics are probably the best example, though they're uncomfortable for me), or even a custom sleeve fitted on a universal IEM (provided it's not vented). I got the P7 mainly for those times I'm lounging on the couch with the laptop or iPad while my DAC/Amp is left at my desk, or for when I'm painting and don't want cables getting in the way.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #634 of 1,955

The H9 had horrible bass. I compared it with the H6 v2 which are great and the P7w. I decided to keep the P7 wireless.

I love the bass from the P7 Wireless. Hits hard but doesn't get muddy or overwhelming. Really stellar. Jamming to Rumours by Fleetwood Mac right now. This album sounds better with these cans than with anything else I've ever tried.

Glad to learn I made the right choice in the P7. I was going to order the H9 as well, compare the two, and return the ones I didn't like, but now I can save B&O the hassle of a return. :D

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #635 of 1,955

I love the bass from the P7 Wireless. Hits hard but doesn't get muddy or overwhelming. Really stellar. Jamming to Rumours by Fleetwood Mac right now. This album sounds better with these cans than with anything else I've ever tried.

Glad to learn I made the right choice in the P7. I was going to order the H9 as well, compare the two, and return the ones I didn't like, but now I can save B&O the hassle of a return. :D

:)

The bass of the P7 is good. Hard but clear. The bass of B&O H6v2 is also very good. I like the P7 wireless better. B&O are very easy with returns. Very good service.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #636 of 1,955

:)

The bass of the P7 is good. Hard but clear. The bass of B&O H6v2 is also very good. I like the P7 wireless better. B&O are very easy with returns. Very good service.

The H6 v2 was my original purchase plan (based on its top reviews) and then I realized how tired I was of dealing with cords and decided to go wireless. Glad to hear the P7 Wireless is on-par with the H6 v2 sound-wise, not having been able to audition the H6 for myself.

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #637 of 1,955

The H6 v2 was my original purchase plan (based on its top reviews) and then I realized how tired I was of dealing with cords and decided to go wireless. Glad to hear the P7 Wireless is on-par with the H6 v2 sound-wise, not having been able to audition the H6 for myself.

It's a different sound but I like them both. I have the same "cord issues" as you. I'm still listening to the H6v2. (I have 30 days to return it.) Also listening through my Tera Player which sounds really nice. The P7 Wireless with the cord also sounds very nice on the TP. Easy to drive. I was wondering what people are using as source. I've used my iPhone 7 plus, nice with the Onkyo player. And just ordered and received the Pioneer XDP-300r. Not yet tested the bluetooth with the P7. Since the P7 also has AAC codec for Bluetooth transmission, besides Apt-X, the iPhone should be on-par with any Apt-X capable player (as far as I understand and know).

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #638 of 1,955

It's a different sound but I like them both. I have the same "cord issues" as you. I'm still listening to the H6v2.

How would you characterize the differences in sound?

While I haven't tried the H6 I did listen to the H7 at the local Apple Store. They were super comfortable, but I did find a couple of things I like better about the P7. First, the overall build quality is better on the P7. They are both high-grade to be sure, but the P7 is a step above the H7 IMO. One thing I don't like about the Beoplays is that fabric headband liner. How long before that thing is saturated with hair gel/grease/whatever? How would you clean it? the P7 is all leather, top and bottom. And smooth, easy-to-clean leather at that. The P7 simply looks like a million bucks.

Also, the round ear pads on the Beoplays is an example of form over function. My ear won't fit inside that circle and I doubt any other adult's will either. The P7 ear pads are...ear shaped! Brilliant! (Just like most other over-ear headphones on the planet.)

The replaceable battery in the Beoplays is a big win for them though.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #639 of 1,955

How would you characterize the differences in sound?

While I haven't tried the H6 I did listen to the H7 at the local Apple Store. They were super comfortable, but I did find a couple of things I like better about the P7. First, the overall build quality is better on the P7. They are both high-grade to be sure, but the P7 is a step above the H7 IMO. One thing I don't like about the Beoplays is that fabric headband liner. How long before that thing is saturated with hair gel/grease/whatever? How would you clean it? the P7 is all leather, top and bottom. And smooth, easy-to-clean leather at that. The P7 simply looks like a million bucks.

Also, the round ear pads on the Beoplays is an example of form over function. My ear won't fit inside that circle and I doubt any other adult's will either. The P7 ear pads are...ear shaped! Brilliant! (Just like most other over-ear headphones on the planet.)

The replaceable battery in the Beoplays is a big win for them though.

The H6v2 is more open, lighter, less full (in a positive way, depending on taste). The soundstage is huge. 

The P7 is a fuller sound, bass is more present. Still very detailed but you have to pay more attention. The sound is somehow "hidden". Not sure if that makes sense. 

I actually like the round shapes. They fit my ears well. With the P7 I have to more the headphone around a little more often to find a good fit. But ears are all different. I have a large head.

I agree with your points on the quality of the materials compared to all the B&O headphones. Earcups are none replaceable, I think. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #640 of 1,955

I travel mainly with car so I can't really say. The passive isolation on the P7 is fine. The ANC on the H9 is mediocre compared to the Sony or others. I would get CIEMs if you travel a lot instead of NC headphones or very well fitting IEMs. But that is just me. 

It seems pretty much the consensus out there that the H9's ANC is inferior to Bose and Sony.  That said, I think the more appropriate comparison for the use case described here is how it compares to passive isolation and whether the noise reduction you get compensates for any sound quality differences with other HP's that don't have ANC.  So, for a car ride, the P7 wireless may have good enough isolation and the improvement in sound quality makes them the winner for that use case.  However, on a plane, the passive isolation of the P7 wireless may not be good enough and the ANC of the H9 may be just good enough to make them the winner for that use case.  The H9 thread has some comments on this and we should be seeing some interesting comparisons of the H9 and P7 wireless for airplane use soon.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #641 of 1,955
It seems pretty much the consensus out there that the H9's ANC is inferior to Bose and Sony.  That said, I think the more appropriate comparison for the use case described here is how it compares to passive isolation and whether the noise reduction you get compensates for any sound quality differences with other HP's that don't have ANC.  So, for a car ride, the P7 wireless may have good enough isolation and the improvement in sound quality makes them the winner for that use case.  However, on a plane, the passive isolation of the P7 wireless may not be good enough and the ANC of the H9 may be just good enough to make them the winner for that use case.  The H9 thread has some comments on this and we should be seeing some interesting comparisons of the H9 and P7 wireless for airplane use soon.

Yes, I read those comments on the H9. But for me the H9 is a "no" because of the poor bass. And I prefer CIEMs or well fitting IEMs on a plane because of size and sleeping comfort. In a open office space the H9 might be a good option. Except for the bass.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #642 of 1,955
I have both the H9 and P7 wireless in house and might keep both. I was hoping to test the H9 on an airplane however something unexpected kept me home.

For what it is worth my wife (nor an audiophile) went without me and brought along the Sony X1000 and the H9. While she felt the Sony's (obviously) had the better ANC she kept the H9 on for most of the flight. The ANC on the Sony bothered her with too much pressure effect. I also noticed this with the Sony's however it was less bothersome than the QC35's.

When I asked how the H9 performed on the flight she said "quite well and it definitely cut out most of the engine noise- no problem at all using them on the airplane"

The comments I have seen on this thread lead me to believe the P7's will be useless on an airplane. As such, for me, the H9's remain my only choice. I used a pair of Etymotics for 10 years and do not want to go back to uncomfortable IEM's. Wireless is also very liberating.

The P7's definitely have a fabulous addicting sound. They remind me of the PRAT I get from my Naim/Linn setup.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #643 of 1,955
just got my P7w.  

love love love them on first listen.  such a fun sound signature, especially for a bass-lover like me.  yes, clarity comes down a notch at the expense of wireless but who cares when it sounds this good.  and still very very precise.  reminds me of how mini-disc used to sound... a warmer digital... simple, and a lot of fun.  

they fit damn good but man, can't fit a postage stamp between my ear and the speaker wall or the sides of the ear cup.  they cut it close, but in my case (medium sized ears) it works very well.  overall the cans are smaller and lighter weight than i was expecting looking at pics on the internet.  

and yes, i hear a click before songs start, and i couldn't care less about it.  on the other hand, i was worried about "bluetooth hiss" and am pleased to report these cans are dead quiet!  i have more hiss coming from wired connections than these puppies.  that was my biggest worry going in, and completely unfounded.  

so glad i bought these.  look forward to having these on the go, wires be damned!

p.s. - after auditioning the Denon MM400, the Oppo PM-3, and now these.... man the $400 price point is a serious sweet spot in the headphone industry right now.  10 years ago, sound this good would command $1000. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #645 of 1,955
How are they outside, or on public transport (bus)?

Very good, passive isolation is decent, not excellent mind you, but when the volume is up they are fine for sure. I take the bus with them constantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back