Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #541 of 1,955
I hear that AptX HD (Bluetooth v5), is on the way as well...

The Bluetooth 5 spec got approved recently, so no doubt we'll be seeing smartphones/tablets/aptops supporting it in the near future. Headphones will come after that. AptX HD isn't exclusive to Bluetooth 5 though. There are some new headphones (new Audio Technica DSR9BT for example) with 'only' Bluetooth 4.2 supporting AptX HD as well.

Dec 15, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #542 of 1,955
The only hard case I was able to find was this

https://www.amazon.com/REYTID-Carry-Bowers-Wilkins-Headphones/dp/B01AIEFWRS

It just arrived and I am on the fence about it. It is a very tight and close fit. Not sure it is a keeper however it might be the only choice out there

Haven't people been using these for the P7 as well?

https://www.amazon.com/Slappa-Full-Sized-HardBody-Headphone-Protection/dp/B009NE7B06

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #543 of 1,955
bear in mind, I am very early on here, but I have had the P7s on my head now for a few days now (mostly switching on and off with the D600s).  Also keep in mind, I haven’t really engaged wireless other than to confirm it works with a few tracks.  99% of my listening has been done through the mojo from various sources.

First off, they are smaller and much lighter than I was anticipating.  I've seen the P7s around, but I haven't really picked them up and fondled them.  The clamp is solid.  If I weren't such a sweater, I'd wear them to the gym.  They are going to stay on your head (for better or worse).  The clamp does put some strain on my jaw and sinuses.  It does seem to be improving (or I toughening).  My ears do comfortably fit inside the cups.  I will have no qualms wearing these around, hitting the streets and subways.  Of course, I wore the massive AH-D600s on commutes, only feeling like a ******* like 20% of the time.  Sessions of 30 minutes+ and I do begin to feel a bit of discomfort on the top of my head, this is the same with the D600s.  It is an altogether different comfort problem than I get from the Grados, so makes for good swapping buddies.  The D600s are a more plush and comfortable feel, but they are kind of sloppy on your head.  They tend to slide around where I can't imagine that happening with the P7s.  I will feel confident performing rigorous nodding to stompy parts of my favorite tunes.

I do wish they came with a 3/8ths adapter and in-line mic/controls.  Since I do a lot of listening with the mojo, I’m not sure I’ll have time to unplug and engage bluetooth every time a call comes in.  This could be a problem if I don't end up liking them wireless.  For the record, the case looks much better than review photos I saw.  I’m less offended.  I’ll use it. :wink:

They beat the AH-D600s in a landslide as far as sound goes.  I don't think there is much to miss here on soundstage.  There are places where the bass has less impact.  For example, "that part" in James Blakes's "Limit To Your Love."  The D600s want to rumble off of my head and it is kind of cool.  On the other hand, while not as impactful, the P7s have a lot more going on in the bass, texture if you will, and all the other notes and layers of the track are more interesting and balanced.  I think more engaging and tighter perfectly sums up the bottom end of the P7 when compared to the D600s.

On the D600s, I find the highs a little prickly, actually.  Maybe they are veiled as @DoctaCosmos mentions, but I think the bigger problem is they have so little support from the mids and mid-highs.  They are just sitting out there all alone and can be fatiguing.  With some tracks it feels like there is a huge canyon between the treble and bass.  I don't mean to bash the D600s, but there is no such problem with the P7s and that creates a strong contrast.  They use the space well.  Their imaging isn’t bad either, maybe a bit better than the D600s.  Even though they do have a pronounced bass, everything is nicely balanced for my tastes.  They are quick but luscious.  Not analytical but also not flabby.

Vocals sound great as does rock and indie.  Listening through Magic Potion by the Black Keys, it gives me the feeling of sitting between Patrick and Dan in the studio.  Warm guitar amp tubes and authoritative bass drum.  I may not be insta-reaching for my Grados every time I crave solid mid frequencies.

I have had a lot of fun going through my soundcloud.  The quality on these transcodings is not great but the P7s, like the RS1s, smooth things over very well.  There are a lot of mixes I can only get here, so it isn’t like there are a lot of options for higher resolution.  I’m talking Reflex by SAINt JHN, Nils Hoffmann, Drunk In Love (The Weeknd Remix) and odds and ends by How to Dress Well.  There are artifacts in these tracks for sure, they aren’t the cleanest or most dynamic recordings, but the P7s make them enjoyable.  I sit diametrically opposed to those who suggest the P7s are a waste on compressed files.  I’m very interested to listen to them wirelessly.  I get the sense that this is actually where their home is: super convenience with great sound out of just about anything.  You won’t be getting the best out of the P7s with these tracks, but they’ll still sound better than your old headphones.

I think the more interesting comparison will be between the P7 and RS1is—which I’ve got a ways to go on.  For my money, I think it is easier to make a great sounding pair of open headphones and the RS1s aren’t cheap.  The RS1i does just about everything better, especially mids to highs but I do pick up similarities here and there.  The bass control of the P7 is a little reminiscent of the Grados.  The closed-back-ed-ness of the P7s certainly give more rumble and distortion.  That can be a good thing given the right place and time.

I also look forward to mojo vs APTX, APTX vs AAC, mac vs iphone, vinyl and tube-rolling the bellari.

By no means do I think these cans will go down with legendary status, but I do think they are close to the front of the pack as far as portable/convenience/private audio goes.  They are a great all around pair for people that listen to a variety of things and want to enjoy their music.

edit: space

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #544 of 1,955
The Bluetooth 5 spec got approved recently, so no doubt we'll be seeing smartphones/tablets/aptops supporting it in the near future. Headphones will come after that. AptX HD isn't exclusive to Bluetooth 5 though. There are some new headphones (new Audio Technica DSR9BT for example) with 'only' Bluetooth 4.2 supporting AptX HD as well.

Sure it's not exclusive, with very limited devices using AptX HD (I have an LG 1100 device that supports it), however we will see the codec apxhd reach a lot more device, and will hopefully become the normal standard to come

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #545 of 1,955
So 3rd day with my P7's and am completely in love with them, It's a liberating thing getting up walking around and not having to worry about cords, I find i can get about 7-10metres away before I hear dropouts.

I do think burn in has changed the sound, bass has definitely mellowed 

The sound signature is similar to the M100s but possibly seem a bit more rounded and cohesive. 

Comfort is slightly better than my m-100's and Spirit Pro's.

Re charging I read on this thread that these are good for about 300 charge cycles, Is there a best practice for charging - run down and charge or top up as and when?

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #546 of 1,955

....Is there a best practice for charging - run down and charge or top up as and when?

While lithium is very flexible and forgiving battery technology the best way is to use  down to about 40% to 50% and then charge up to about 80% to 90%. This would extend the life cycles about the longest. Here is a site that you can learn everthing you ever wanted to know about batteries. 

http://batteryuniversity.com

Of course this not not practical (on any device) or easily done with the limited battery monitoring on the P7's. So a good idea is to charge up as soon as it turns yellow. Running a lithium battery dead/flat is the worst (except for overcharging which can't happen) thing to lower life/cycles. 

Also the 300 to 500 cycles is not an absolute death for a lithium battery. Usually it means you will have about a 20% reduction in capacity. However capacity will continue to deplete at an exponential rate with consecutive cycles.

Dec 16, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #547 of 1,955
Just got these headphones. First I tried them with my Android phone and they sounded very good and then I whiched to iPad and they played very very loud. I mean, even I turned volume down to minimun (to only one block), they were too loud for my ears. Samething with my macbook pro, too loud with minimun volume.

My android phone's volume has more quiet steps and goes little by little louder than ipad, which starts from mute and then goes loud (where are the missing steps what Android have?)

Does anybody know how to get better volume control for ipad and for macbook pro?

Dec 17, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #548 of 1,955
Just got these headphones. First I tried them with my Android phone and they sounded very good and then I whiched to iPad and they played very very loud. I mean, even I turned volume down to minimun (to only one block), they were too loud for my ears. Samething with my macbook pro, too loud with minimun volume.

My android phone's volume has more quiet steps and goes little by little louder than ipad, which starts from mute and then goes loud (where are the missing steps what Android have?)

Does anybody know how to get better volume control for ipad and for macbook pro?

Not sure what the problem is. Mine are very low (iPhone, iPad, Mac and ATV). One caveat (and peeve of mine) is that Apple volume control is in about 2db to 3db increments per push (common for push button). Using an iPhone and an Apple Watch you can use the Digital Crown to infinitely adjust (volume knob) the sound level. However by your description you probably can't try this (must have iPhone/Apple Watch). 

Also discovered (I know many already know this) a way to get a more accurate battery level indication. The P7's 'tell' my iPhone what the level is and I can display it (Android may have a similar system).

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #549 of 1,955

Try to lower the volume on the headphones themselves, i had the same issues with the beats wireless on iphone and mac.

Dec 17, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #550 of 1,955
I tried to lower the volume on the headphones volume buttons, but it won't help. Ipad's volume buttons changes volume one block per push and B&W changes volume one block per two push. Oh well, maybe I use my Android phone only, until someone finds a fix for this problem.

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #553 of 1,955
I tried to lower the volume on the headphones volume buttons, but it won't help. Ipad's volume buttons changes volume one block per push and B&W changes volume one block per two push. Oh well, maybe I use my Android phone only, until someone finds a fix for this problem.

Have you tried rebooting and then connecting to your iPad or Mac first?

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #555 of 1,955
Just did an unscientific SPL test. Used a 1K (1005.2) Hz sine wave on my iPhone at 1 bar (minimum) volume. Held mic about ½" (12mm) from the driver and recorded about 58dB. For reference I used an App named Signal Gen(erator) and a Tandy 33- 2050 SLM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back