Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #302 of 1,955
I don't recall if this was posted in this thread before or not, but if you have an Apple computer running that latest OSX, you can force the OS to use aptX when connecting to your P7s by getting the Bluetooth Explorer app on this page and enabling the feature:

http://www.theghostbit.com/2015/03/force-mac-os-x-to-use-aptx-with-your.html

My Macbook Air defaulted to SBC for it's connection so this now ensures I'm getting the best quality I can over bluetooth by default.

Just a quick reminder if nothing else for people that didn't know this.

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #306 of 1,955
OK, here is the deal.
When talking to the Best Buy guy, I told him I saw it at $349, and he just matched the price no questions answered 
biggrin.gif

But what I actually saw the price for, was the wired version.
So I got the wireless at $349 
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #307 of 1,955
  OK, here is the deal.
When talking to the Best Buy guy, I told him I saw it at $349, and he just matched the price no questions answered 
biggrin.gif

But what I actually saw the price for, was the wired version.
So I got the wireless at $349 
biggrin.gif

That is an awesome deal.  Shocked the guy just took your word for it.

Best Buy not only doesn't discount the B&W products, they won't even let you use promotion coupons with them.

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #308 of 1,955
Maybe you guys can help me out here...

So I just bought these and the B&W P7 Wireless... I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm honestly torn between which one to keep.

The sound between the two are actually quite similiar (we'll chalk that up to my inexperienced ears).  The P7s are on ear and are very comfortable but the top band digs into the top of my head.  And they are much heavier.  Solo3 are much lighter, but the on ear experience isn't as pleasant.  I can't decide which bothers me more, the cups pressing on my ears or the band pressing on my head.

SQ as I mentioned is very similiar, I can pick up all the details with either set, and the difference really has to do with how the P7s are over ear and create this space vs the solos are on ear and push sound directly into your head.  Soundstage is bigger on the P7 but then again, it's close enough to me.

Battery life of course Solo's win with its 40 hours playback and 1 min charge gives 3 hrs of playback...

But the thing that is really driving me up the wall is the latency.  Besides music, I also game on my iPhone and the delay really creeps up here.  For movies oddly, I can't notice any delays at all, whether it be youtube, netflix or itunes.  So really it's gaming.

And the p7's are also $200 more.  While my budget is flexible, I'm not gonna spend $200 if it's not worth it.

B&W much more respectable than beats.  I'm in my mid 30s and not exactly looking to make a fashion statement here.  Although the P7 are quite a bit bulkier and not exactly sleek either...

Decisions decisions... What to do?

BTW, my current cans are the M&D MH40.  Which I love, but I want to go wireless...

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #309 of 1,955
  Maybe you guys can help me out here...

B&W much more respectable than beats.  I'm in my mid 30s and not exactly looking to make a fashion statement here.  Although the P7 are quite a bit bulkier and not exactly sleek either...

Decisions decisions... What to do?

If you can't hear a difference worth $200 between the two - go for the cheaper set.
Either way you *are* making a fashion statement by wearing either set in public - for me my P7's are for private listening in home, no way would I walk around with P7's on my head, most people here in Melbourne wear ear-buds for that, I have Bose QC30's for outdoor/public use

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #311 of 1,955
I only have one weird minor issue — sometime I wish I could turn them down more. On my iPhone or iPad, late at night when I just want them soft before going to sleep, and I have them turned down as far as they'll go without muting, and it's louder than I'd like. This mainly seems to happen with Spotify, so maybe it's their app.

But I rather hope B&W can make a slight adjustment through a firmware update. I'm probably in a tiny minority.

Spotify app has an equalizer you can access in the settings.  If it's too loud you might be able to drop all frequencies a few db's to get a lower volume.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #312 of 1,955
I don't know, I'll beg to differ a little here. Cables are incredibly inconvenient and doing away with them is far more convenient in terms of usability. Now it isn't perfect if you have no headphone jack and your headphone isn't charged, or the electronics inside the headphone fail, so yes, I think an argument can be made for retaining the jack. But putting that aside, I think getting past cables is awesome for portable use anyway.

Ah, but is it not more convenient to have the option to listen either wired or wireless? To perhaps plug in the P7s if you want the improved SQ, or if maybe they need charging? More options = more convenience, IMHO. :wink:

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #313 of 1,955
Spotify app has an equalizer you can access in the settings.  If it's too loud you might be able to drop all frequencies a few db's to get a lower volume.

Interesting idea...I might try it...though I wonder if that might not have a negative impact on SQ with the extra DSP. I tend to avoid EQ.

I did switch off Normalization, but can't say I noticed a difference.

I do think it's likely more a Spotify issue, as I don't notice the issue with my other sources. I think the P7s are just so sensitive that the combination becomes a bit much sometimes.

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #314 of 1,955
Just got these today and have been using them for a few hours. I must say I'm extremely impressed. They are the best wireless hp I've heard, and I've heard quite a few. They're actually comparable to the Meze 99 Classics, which are a wired hp, and damn fine ones too. Sound quality approaches that of high end cans such as the Beyer t5p, but just misses out on that last minute amount of finesse and refinement. A definite recommendation. I'm very very happy with these. And much better than the P7 wired IMO.

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #315 of 1,955
If you can't hear a difference worth $200 between the two - go for the cheaper set.
Either way you *are* making a fashion statement by wearing either set in public - for me my P7's are for private listening in home, no way would I walk around with P7's on my head, most people here in Melbourne wear ear-buds for that, I have Bose QC30's for outdoor/public use
Used my P7 wireless all day in public today, and got no weird looks, or looks of any kind actually. They're actually pretty discreet on the head. Surprisingly so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back