Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #226 of 1,955

I recently purchased both the Audeze Sine and the P7 Wireless. While the Sines sound awesome, the slightest shift is position modifies the quality dramatically. Plus, they are not particularly comfortable and the cord is massive (particularly the Cipher cable). 

However, the P7s sound almost as good (so close as to be almost indistinguishable) and they are:
1. More comfortable
2. Cordless

Therefore, I am about to put the Sines up for sale (along with a pair of B&O H8s).

The P7 Wireless is such an incredible piece of work that I am listening to far more music than anytime since my teens. Everything sounds better than ever, from my old 70s Prog Rock (Yes, Floyd, Strawbs, etc) to today's Alt (Sufjan, Wye Oak, Decemberist) to old and new classical. I can't believe how rich and precise these are particularly considering they are Bluetooth.

(using the AAC codec with Apple products)

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #227 of 1,955
I'm a novice buy my understanding is "high-res", i.e., FLAC is simply a method to listen to CD quality vs MP3 quality without having massive file size.

Thus P7 wireless should be totally fine for "high res"

Yeah I was gonna say, if using wired then what exactly would the headphones have to do with high-res? That doesn't make sense... if you're talking about wireless then I wouldn't loose sleep not only cause you won't be able to tell a difference but because nothing actually exists that can...

Nov 4, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #228 of 1,955

I'm a novice buy my understanding is "high-res", i.e., FLAC is simply a method to listen to CD quality vs MP3 quality without having massive file size.

Usually when people say high-res they mean higher than 16bit depth for the files, at least that has always been my understanding. Otherwise we would be discussing the sample rate instead.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #231 of 1,955
Does anyone have an impression of how the P7 wireless mic performs?

I've been sold on wireless headphones for mobile listening since the iphone added A2DP. The convenience factor of wireless just totally outweighs the sound quality losses for mobile listening for me, and I've always kept a better pair of headphones at home for more serious listening. The last few years have been awesome because we're finally getting to the place where wireless is converging with sound quality, and there are some decent options on the market.

I purchased the Master & Dynamic MW60 (traded out my MH40s which I also really enjoyed) the day they came out last year, and really have really enjoyed them except for two issues:
1) the microphone for wireless calls is virtually unusable to me. I use my headphones in the office as well as at home and ended up needing to buy the M&D Boom mic to do conference calls. Even when I'm not in a noisy office and just walking out and about the people cannot hear me with the MW60s.
2) wireless source switching between my phone and my MacBook Air is pretty frustrating. There tends to be some pretty bad break up when I'm connected to two sources, or many times it just won't switch at all.

While I love the build quality, design and very much enjoy the sound profile of the MW60s I get the sense from this thread that I'll probably enjoy the sound of the P7Ws a little better. My only hesitation is that it looks a bit cumbersome (and potentially even damaging) to switch between wired and wireless multiple times per day if the wireless mic won't cut it for conference calls like on the MW60s.

Does anyone use the P7Ws for calls or video conferences consistently and care to comment on the quality?

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #232 of 1,955

I've been sold on wireless headphones for mobile listening since the iphone added A2DP. The convenience factor of wireless just totally outweighs the sound quality losses for mobile listening for me, and I've always kept a better pair of headphones at home for more serious listening. The last few years have been awesome because we're finally getting to the place where wireless is converging with sound quality, and there are some decent options on the market.

I purchased the Master & Dynamic MW60 (traded out my MH40s which I also really enjoyed) the day they came out last year, and really have really enjoyed them except for two issues:
1) the microphone for wireless calls is virtually unusable to me. I use my headphones in the office as well as at home and ended up needing to buy the M&D Boom mic to do conference calls. Even when I'm not in a noisy office and just walking out and about the people cannot hear me with the MW60s.
2) wireless source switching between my phone and my MacBook Air is pretty frustrating. There tends to be some pretty bad break up when I'm connected to two sources, or many times it just won't switch at all.

While I love the build quality, design and very much enjoy the sound profile of the MW60s I get the sense from this thread that I'll probably enjoy the sound of the P7Ws a little better. My only hesitation is that it looks a bit cumbersome (and potentially even damaging) to switch between wired and wireless multiple times per day if the wireless mic won't cut it for conference calls like on the MW60s.

Does anyone use the P7Ws for calls or video conferences consistently and care to comment on the quality?

I use both the P7 'S and have the planteonics voyager headset that I use. For calls obviously the plantronics is much better in louder situations, like driving and outdoor use. However indoors and even in minimally noisy invironments no-one has been able to tell I was using the P7's and not simply speaking directly on the phone.

Hope that helps!

Nov 7, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #233 of 1,955

I use the P7W's for calls sometimes, and have never had any complaints about the quality/proximity of my voice during calls.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Nov 7, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #234 of 1,955

'High-Res' audio is generally understood to mean audio files that have been encoded at a bit-depth greater than 16-bit, which is usually 24-bit. They can be encoded in FLAC, WAV, AIFF, and other formats.
You will find that the sampling rate varies though, between 44.1 to 192kHz. So you see 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4 & 24/192 files. They are all regarded as 'High-Res'. Then of course there's DSD.
In BT transmission, the BT transmitter/DAP effectively downsamples the high-res files to a fornat compatible with the BT codec (roughly 16/44.1 in the case of Apt-X) making it possible to transmit downsampled high-res files to the P7W's. Sony's LDAC codec claims to transmit 24/96 without any conpresssion, as does Apt-X HD.
'What's the point of using/buying High-Res files if they're downsampled/compressed for BT transmission then?' I hear you ask? That's a good question, and one for another forum.
Anyway, the P7W's sound absolutely superb, even playing (effectively) 16/44.1 wirelessly. And that's all that matters.

Nov 7, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #236 of 1,955
Have anybody tried the p7 outside at cold temperatures? I asked b&w,and they said i could use the p7 wireless outside at winter,and should not get any problems doing this.But they should not get wet of course.But anyone had problems using them outside in very cold temperatures?

Nov 7, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #237 of 1,955
Anyway, the P7W's sound absolutely superb, even playing (effectively) 16/44.1 wirelessly. And that's all that matters.

Awesome write-up, thanks Kelly!

Does anyone with the P7 have the MDR-1000x as well?

Wondering how much off degradation in SQ will i get for the ANC tradeoff.

After traveling with ANC for 4 years, I home/road tested the P7s, Sony's, and QC35s and determined that for me I'd rather have the P7's sound quality versus ANC since great sound is much more immersive than anything ANC does for me.  That's because ANC doesn't help at all with voices, glasses clinking, babies crying, etc which is much more annoying than the low frequency humming which ANC is great with.  

Obviously this is an individual choice and we all hear different things and are annoyed by different things.  Ultimately the way I picked was that the B&Ws were the ones I always wanted to pick up no matter what the scenario whereas the others I forced myself to test  ... that's all interesting for me because I hadn't even planned on getting the B&Ws since they didn't have ANC - the only reason I did was because the Sony's hadn't been released yet.

Obviously I'm super glad Sony was slow to the game because otherwise I'd have them instead of the B&Ws.

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #238 of 1,955
I'd have to agree with your reasoning - to me the audio quality of the P7's is close to perfect and far better than my Bose QC35's, although the QC35's have the edge in comfort at the moment, still wearing the P7's in...
But yes - the audio quality of the P7's wins me every time when it comes to choosing which set of cans to wear and once (most) music is playing then the ANC becomes far less needed.
Have not had the chance to listen to the 1000's as yet but from what I read/research it seems that the P7's are still a better choice for audio quality.

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #239 of 1,955

But yes - the audio quality of the P7's wins me every time when it comes to choosing which set of cans to wear and once (most) music is playing then the ANC becomes far less needed.
Have not had the chance to listen to the 1000's as yet but from what I read/research it seems that the P7's are still a better choice for audio quality.

Agree completely. The P7 is an exceptionally engaging sound signature, and it seems to provide a really good amount of passive noise cancellation, certainly adequate for me taking a noisy bus around the city.

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #240 of 1,955
Guess I can live without the ANC..
The headband exerting pressure on the head though...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back