Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #736 of 1,955

If ignorance (of sound quality issues) is bliss then you should be just as happy just using OEM Apple Earbuds and not listen for any imperfections. :)

I'm not suggesting you do this and NOT listen to music but simply pointing out to the people who say the 'hiss' isn't there or don't know what it is. The 'hiss' is only present under certain conditions and my 'test' replicates those conditions and makes it easy to spot. 

The 'hiss' is far below the natural noise floor of music (though some say they can hear it with music playing) and isn't a distraction to me at all. However as a life long audiophile (& videophile) I want to understand as much of the technologies involved as I can. Plus know as many of the weakness of a system as possible  and not just blindly praise it's strengths and virtues. 

Hi!

New in this forum, but have owned the B&W P7 wireless since a few months. Regarding the hiss, I guess it depends on the type of music you listen to, how loud you listen and how sensitive you are. For me, I find the background hiss when running wireless distracting. Of course, most music is louder than the hiss, but if you listen to dynamic music with rather silent parts it is a bit disturbing. I get the impression that I play with rather low volumes though, so if you typically play louder you are probably not bothered at all by this. I actually find it problematic as well that the lowest volume setting when playing from iOS devices is too high when listening in silent surroundings. From Android I can take the volume down a bit more in wireless mode than from iOS. I have been in contact with B&W customer support and they say it has to do with the AAC coding in iOS devices, but that a firmware upgrade might come that lets you play less loud. Anyway, I mostly use my P7W with a cable as I can then set the volume better and the sound quality is slightly better (especially the hiss goes away).
/ Joakim

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #737 of 1,955
Got an email this morning that Best Buy is delaying my Wireless P7 shipment until Wednesday. I ordered them this past Tuesday and they were promised for Friday, today. A bit POd at the moment. Anyone know of anywhere else that might sell them?

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #738 of 1,955
Picked this beauty up in my local store the other day and wow is the bass a huge improvement from previous pair ( Focal Spirit One), more impactful and punchier. The soundstage also noticeably sounds wider with noticeable improvement in the separation of instruments. So far I am enjoying the sound on these a lot! Unfortunately I can't wear them on my commutes since I prefer iems outside for my own safety. I can't elaborate any more on the sound with the limited experience of my ears, so I will try to give some insight in the other features of these.

My thoughts on connectivity:
-I have also had no problems with connection apart from when my Z5 compact lags at times, so no interference present with my WiFi.

-The pairing is lightning quick even without NFC if connecting to your primary/first device, otherwise it is quite a hassle since you need to first activate pairing mode to disconnect your primary device, if it is nearby, then connect the device you want to use.

-The range is perfect for me since I live in a condo unit, and problems only arise when I leave my phone in the bedroom and move outside of the unit.

-I don't know if aptx low latency is featured on the headphone and my PC but there seems to be a slight delay in audio when playing video. However, it is tolerable and only an extremely short delay.

My thoughts on usability:
-The comfort is subpar compared to the Sony mdr1000x and Bose QC35, but better than my previous FS Ones. I believe the discomfort comes from the clamp though which I try to lessen by stretching it, so hopefully in time it will improve.

-Wireless really makes a difference. Being physically tethered to a device feels so much of a burden now when I use my FS Ones with my boompro mic.

-The build quality at face value is AMAZING. I can't stress any more how superior the look, touch and feel this has compared to my FS Ones. Hopefully, they last as long as how good they look and feel.

-The detachable cable, although secure, is a piece of work when using since the pad has to be removed first and the jack design is special. In my case though, Im not complaining because my FS Ones will still get use for this reason.

-Passive isolation is great. It blocks out most noise quite well, and also allows voices to pass although not understandable. Although not completely silent, my immersion to the music sometimes makes me think it is.

This thread has helped me a lot in making a decision for my upgrade to wireless. I also had the QC35 and 1000x in my shortlist, but the sound quality of the P7s was the only one which trumped my FS Ones and I realized I don't ride a plane often to need ANC. I am happy with my purchase although paying 2000php (40$) more for the p7 (Sony's are cheaper here in the Philippines) as the sound is better imo and the build quality is superior.

Lastly, just a quck question: Something which I have tried and failed to do is multiple connections. Do they feature this?

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #739 of 1,955
Lastly, just a quck question: Something which I have tried and failed to do is multiple connections. Do they feature this?

Yes, you can do this, but only one source can play at a time if I remember correctly. I don't know how it decides which sources to put through if two tries to play at the same time though.

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #740 of 1,955
Picked this beauty up in my local store the other day and wow is the bass a huge improvement from previous pair ( Focal Spirit One), more impactful and punchier. The soundstage also noticeably sounds wider with noticeable improvement in the separation of instruments. So far I am enjoying the sound on these a lot! Unfortunately I can't wear them on my commutes since I prefer iems outside for my own safety. I can't elaborate any more on the sound with the limited experience of my ears, so I will try to give some insight in the other features of these.

My thoughts on connectivity:
-I have also had no problems with connection apart from when my Z5 compact lags at times, so no interference present with my WiFi.

-The pairing is lightning quick even without NFC if connecting to your primary/first device, otherwise it is quite a hassle since you need to first activate pairing mode to disconnect your primary device, if it is nearby, then connect the device you want to use.

-The range is perfect for me since I live in a condo unit, and problems only arise when I leave my phone in the bedroom and move outside of the unit.

-I don't know if aptx low latency is featured on the headphone and my PC but there seems to be a slight delay in audio when playing video. However, it is tolerable and only an extremely short delay.

My thoughts on usability:
-The comfort is subpar compared to the Sony mdr1000x and Bose QC35, but better than my previous FS Ones. I believe the discomfort comes from the clamp though which I try to lessen by stretching it, so hopefully in time it will improve.

-Wireless really makes a difference. Being physically tethered to a device feels so much of a burden now when I use my FS Ones with my boompro mic.

-The build quality at face value is AMAZING. I can't stress any more how superior the look, touch and feel this has compared to my FS Ones. Hopefully, they last as long as how good they look and feel.

-The detachable cable, although secure, is a piece of work when using since the pad has to be removed first and the jack design is special. In my case though, Im not complaining because my FS Ones will still get use for this reason.

-Passive isolation is great. It blocks out most noise quite well, and also allows voices to pass although not understandable. Although not completely silent, my immersion to the music sometimes makes me think it is.

This thread has helped me a lot in making a decision for my upgrade to wireless. I also had the QC35 and 1000x in my shortlist, but the sound quality of the P7s was the only one which trumped my FS Ones and I realized I don't ride a plane often to need ANC. I am happy with my purchase although paying 2000php (40$) more for the p7 (Sony's are cheaper here in the Philippines) as the sound is better imo and the build quality is superior.

Yes, connecting to two devices at the same time is possible, and very easy.
I have my Sony Xperia Z5 setup as the 'primary' connection/device, and as soon as I switch the P7W's on, they pair automatically, and instantaneously without any need to adjust/set the 'phone. I think I had to set my BT settings on the Z5 to 'throw' to achieve this. This makes NFC unnecessary, and pairing this way is faster than NFC anyway.
I sometimes also connect my NWZ-A15 simultaneously. To do this, and once the P7W's have already paired automatically with my Z5, I just ask the A15 to pair with the P7W's, and they pair. Hence, two devices are connected to the P7W's simultaneously, and whichever device is sending a signal, the 'phones will play, and they will switch automatically without any need to make any changes/settings. For example, you can stop play on one device, and then hit play on the other straight away, and the 'phones will switch automatically. If they're both playing at the same time, I think the P7w's will revert to the 'primary' device, and prioritise that signal.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #741 of 1,955
  Yes, connecting to two devices at the same time is possible, and very easy.
I have my Sony Xperia Z5 setup as the 'primary' connection/device, and as soon as I switch the P7W's on, they pair automatically, and instantaneously without any need to adjust/set the 'phone. I think I had to set my BT settings on the Z5 to 'throw' to achieve this. This makes NFC unnecessary, and pairing this way is faster than NFC anyway.
I sometimes also connect my NWZ-A15 simultaneously. To do this, and once the P7W's have already paired automatically with my Z5, I just ask the A15 to pair with the P7W's, and they pair. Hence, two devices are connected to the P7W's simultaneously, and whichever device is sending a signal, the 'phones will play, and they will switch automatically without any need to make any changes/settings. For example, you can stop play on one device, and then hit play on the other straight away, and the 'phones will switch automatically. If they're both playing at the same time, I think the P7w's will revert to the 'primary' device, and prioritise that signal.

Yes, you can do this, but only one source can play at a time if I remember correctly. I don't know how it decides which sources to put through if two tries to play at the same time though.

Thankfully, I have gotten to make it work already. In my testing I think I have found out the problem that occurred which made me fail to achieve multiple connections in the first place. Last night, I tried to connect my iPad when my Z5C was connected, and it was successful. This morning, I tried again to connect my PC while I was playing music, and it resulted to a "could not connect" message on the PC. I paused the music and tried again, and it worked! I guess you can't connect while media is being transferred from a device to the headphones? 

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #742 of 1,955
Regarding "clicking and hissing" when songs are starting....I only hear this when the BT connection is established.  It is then gone afterwards.  Using a Sony NWZ-A17 (aptx).  Between songs is nice..lovely...and quiet with no background noise.  Just wondering why some are having problems with this?  

Bern

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #744 of 1,955
Regarding "clicking and hissing" when songs are starting....I only hear this when the BT connection is established.  It is then gone afterwards.  Using a Sony NWZ-A17 (aptx).  Between songs is nice..lovely...and quiet with no background noise.  Just wondering why some are having problems with this?  

Bern

I use exactly the same combo, and have no problems whatsoever with hissing, clicking etc.
I think some people just NEED something to stress about! lol

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #745 of 1,955
I did purchase the wireless P-7 from Best-Buy on line a week ago. It's my first experience with the Bowers & Wilkins product. The headphones sound very good in both; wired and wireless mode. I do have some issues with the Bluetooth audio drop out every several seconds on my 2012 i-Mac ruining a Yosemite OS. The Mac-Book Air, i-Pod and i-Pads are OK. The biggest issue however I'm having when I pair my LG 65" B6P OLED TV with the P-7. Most of the time the audio reception is fantastic, however every so often I'm experiencing a loud pop or tap sound in one or both of my caps, not sure which one. It is infrequent and random, therefore difficult to pin point. Any one is experiencing the same issue or is having any suggestion what could be wrong? Is it some kind of Bluetooth interference?    

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #748 of 1,955
I could only find the wired version to demo. I was not impressed. It sounded dead and flat to me. But I took a chance anyway and ordered the wireless model. It paid off: they sound vastly better.

Absolutely. You'll find a few comparisons on this thread, all in agreement that the P7 Wireless are a step above the original wired version. I sold my wired after a few months, but don't ever plan to part with the wireless. They're an exceptional headphone IMO.

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #749 of 1,955
I use exactly the same combo, and have no problems whatsoever with hissing, clicking etc.
I think some people just NEED something to stress about! lol

I don't NEED anything to stress about, I have enough of other things to stress about. :wink: But I do hear the hiss and it is disturbing. Maybe hiss is not the right word, what I refer to is that the noise floor when running over bluetooth is a bit too high for my taste. For most music it is OK, but for music with more silent parts it is a bit disturbing to me. The P7W is still very, very good though, but it could, in my view, be even better if the noise floor was a bit lower. As it already can play significantly louder than I will ever need, just having a lower amplification in the headphone could solve it I presume, but that is not something that is user-changeable.

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #750 of 1,955

The problem is that there are two sides in the Bluetooth universe, the transmitter and the receiver (P7). So the issues you are discussing could be more on the transmission side of the equation, and with the older Mac products, almost certainly, not sure with the TV mind you. Do you know what Bluetooth is supported by the TV?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back