Bowers & Wilkins P7 vs - a comparison thread
Sep 8, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #17 of 47
First pair had a crack in the middle of the headband.  You could see it in the leather that it was folded and didn't hold its shape.  Next pair blew the right driver.  I bought the Best Buy 4 year warranty on them, so each time it cost me about $10 to re-up the warranty and get a new pair.

I don't think I am hard on them.  Someone else did handle the first pair for a try out, so I'm not sure if he over extended them.  The second was just a fluke I think.  The Best Buy people had never seen one with a blown driver.  They didn't verify but I did through several tests.  One of those rare instances where the extended warranty paid off!!

Really enjoying both the Sony and the Momentum 2.0 today.  I have put on the P7 a few times.  They are all in the same league sound quality wise.  The Sony is nice that it is wireless.  The Momentum I would say is the most comfortable.  Might try to keep all 3 and see if the better half even notices.  Shhhh...

Sep 8, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #18 of 47
i too have a slight crack on the headband of my pair, i think it is a common problem about these HP. however, tbo, without this crack i believe it would squish my head hard enough to me to be uncomfortable. the driver blowing is rather unusual i will say, i am assuming it is not from extreme loudness, to blow the driver that way you have to punish your ears way beyond listening margin ..
yes, sony's are on the way as well. hope i'd like them as you do.

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #19 of 47
So 1 week in I have spent a lot of time with the MM400, M2, 1ABT and my P7's.  I tried the GC20 several more times wanting to love them, but I just don't.  I returned the Zik's.  I haven't gotten the QC25 out of the box a second time.  I let my MM400's burn overnight last night.  Now I'm playing Alabama Shakes - Sound and Color through my Dragonfly on them.  These are very comfortable.  I think they have the most detail of the bunch and do everything very well.  The more I use them, the more I question keeping these or the M2's.  The M2 is a tad more portable and has a bit more bass, though it feels a tad boomy.  I will likely keep the 1ABT as my new wireless set.  Their sound and comfort is on par with the wired sets.  I just wish they were a bit more portable.  I don't like the fold flat with no hinge design.  If they hinged like the QC25 and GC 20, they get into a much smaller case.  For the others I have the medium size Casebudi from Amazon.  The P7's need to be retracted to the smallest position and then fit ok.  The MM400 I think can stay extended and they fit ok.  The M2's can stay in their listening position and fit with room to spare.  I'm tempted to try the Zik case for the 1ABT.

So that is where I stand with my comparisons.  I'm hoping to get some time to really do some A-B(-C) testing between the MM400, M2 and P7. The others are upstairs right now and I don't want to wake anyone up.  I'm up early because of chronic neck pain and headaches.  These MM400's are really engaging and natural though.  Definitely enjoying them at the moment.

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #20 of 47
So I caved Sunday night and ordered the Def Tech Symphony 1.  I'm ready to return the QC25, GC20, M2.  The Zik already went back.  I plan to keep the MM400 and either the Sony or the Symphony.  The MM400 make me believe in break in.  These things just keep sounding better and better.  Still when I put my P7's back on they are awesome in their own right.  I will spend some time at some point doing some A-B testing between them to pinpoint the differences (mostly in bass and presentation.)

The reason I put the M2's back in the box was a bit too much sibilance.  Bass was a bit too bloated and boomy.  They are an excellent buy, but compared to the P7, MM400 and 1ABT they just lost out.

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #22 of 47
I want to love them. I am trying one more time. I'm burning them in overnight tonight. To me there is something wrong with the treble and mid presentation. They are a bit too bass heavy. I'm hoping they will end up being more to my liking as I love their build quality and controls much more than the Sony.

Sep 16, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #23 of 47
I recently went through this process of finding best closed headphones under $400. Tried Momentum 1.0, 2.0, B&W P7, B&O H6, Fidelio L2, NAD HP50.

Best headphone to me, hands down, Oppo PM3

Sep 16, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #24 of 47
Trying the Symphony 1's tonight.  Wow.  Great first impression.  Great bass, ANC is really good, very natural and smooth.  Not the highest points for looks or portability.  But at the end of the day they are passable on those fronts and comfort and sound are king.  I am looking forward to spending the day with these tomorrow.

The GC20 wasn't any more pleasing after "burning in" overnight.  I don't have the Sony 1ABT's upstairs right now to A-B with the Sym1's, but I think it's going to be close and the addition of great ANC and physical buttons over the touch controls will carry a fair bit of weight.

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #25 of 47
i have received Sony's and don't have time to test them really, darn it, but first things:

- cups are small for me .. but doable, they are so soft and plush, they even can be "on-ear" cups
- i think the signature is slightly v-shaped, bass is good, and treble pronounced
- amazingly! listening experience (sound quality) doesnt change using radio or the wire, i love that fact
- build quality is good, solid, they look like a lush, high dollar item
- controls are great, after small "getting used to" thingy
- i walked across the house and didn't loose Bluetooth connection
- trying to use 3,5 mm 3 pin audio cable that i have, instead of supplied one, resulted in sound distortion, wth? will investigate further
- switching them and 650s back and forth ... verdict:
   -Sony: great sound, bass, treble, with somewhat narrow stage
   -650s: reacher, better treble, same bass, wider stage, warmer, better overall (the more i do back and forth thingy, the more i like 650s)

i am not big dog audiophile, just enjoy good quality music, all this was on my PC with asus xonar essence stx sound card.

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #26 of 47
Glad you are happy at first glance.  When I did back-to-back between the Sym1 and the 1ABT, I again went back to the 1ABT.  The Sym1 is just a bit off.  I think the correct term might be laid back.  The sound stage is not correct.  It sounds like it's coming from the drivers and not as forward and "in front" of you like the 1ABT.

Trying the Momentum 2's one more time tonight or tomorrow.  Really enjoying this hobby over the course of this experiment.

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #27 of 47
  I recently went through this process of finding best closed headphones under $400. Tried Momentum 1.0, 2.0, B&W P7, B&O H6, Fidelio L2, NAD HP50.

Best headphone to me, hands down, Oppo PM3

Good bunch of headphones; you might also want to try Sony MDR1A and Audio Technica MSR7,
both highly reviewed and very popular (and under 300 :))

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #28 of 47
I might stop waiting for the test drive program on the PM-3's and just buy a set.  The Sony Z7 sounds appealing too, but I don't like the semi open design.  Most of my use is in a cube farm so I need a closed back.

The more I use these Denon MM400's the more I like them.  They are outstanding.

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #30 of 47
  I might stop waiting for the test drive program on the PM-3's and just buy a set.  The Sony Z7 sounds appealing too, but I don't like the semi open design.  Most of my use is in a cube farm so I need a closed back.

The more I use these Denon MM400's the more I like them.  They are outstanding.

It could be (and is) referred to as "semi open", but in actual fact it's merely a bass vent.
Very little sound passes from or to them, I think they'd be quite safe even in a 'cube farm'
(great term, that).

IMO the Beyerdynamic DT880 is a true "semi open" headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back