Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Nov 13, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #451 of 1,506
  IMO, there are distinct sonic differences between the two and it comes down to a preference for a brighter sound (P7) or more neutral highs (HP50).  Of course, there are other considerations such as price and build quality, but they are both excellent headphones.

Thanks, Craigster... we dont have the chance to demo the HP50 yet.... when i demoed for like 5 minutes over the weekend, I thought the P7 was quite warm sounding.... since the demo iphone5 source contained music that I am not familiar with, I am not sure if P7 is dark or bright.... Do you think P7 has bigger sound stage or more roomy than the HP50?
I am now more leaning to the HP50 because it is more aftermarket cable friendly...

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #452 of 1,506

Thanks, Craigster... we dont have the chance to demo the HP50 yet.... when i demoed for like 5 minutes over the weekend, I thought the P7 was quite warm sounding.... since the demo iphone5 source contained music that I am not familiar with, I am not sure if P7 is dark or bright.... Do you think P7 has bigger sound stage or more roomy than the HP50?
I am now more leaning to the HP50 because it is more aftermarket cable friendly...

I would say soundstage is excellent on both considering they are closed headphones and too close to call.  I know the HP50 is heavily marketing "room feel" to give the effect of listening in a room to loudspeakers.

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #453 of 1,506
  I would say soundstage is excellent on both considering they are closed headphones and too close to call.  I know the HP50 is heavily marketing "room feel" to give the effect of listening in a room to loudspeakers.

Thanks for your comments... I think I am gonna wait for a bit to demo the HP50 for myself before pulling the trigger.... my order of Tascam TH-02 should arrive in my office tomorrow, those should be fun.....

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #454 of 1,506
Well I'm very new to all of this, but here are my first impressions with the P7's.  I played a few clips from songs right when I powered them on and was not blown away as I had hoped to be, but I kept and open mind with all of the burn in talk I've read.  So I put some music on and left them running for around 2 hours while we watched TV.  I'm now listening to them and doing some side by side with the HD 380 pro's I've been using for the past 3 months.  I'm starting to hear differences.  I feel like I can hear more separation between instruments and vocals.  The HD 380 is also starting to sound slightly nasally.  Forgive me if I'm using the wrong words, I tried reading the glossary earlier so I'm trying to practice.  I'm definitely hearing more detail from the P7.  I feel like the bass is fairly similar between the two.

The P7 is much more comfortable than the HD380 and of course far more attractive and feels more premium.  They feel much lighter, they have smaller cups which I feel is keeping my head and ears cooler.  That was one of my big complaints with my 380 was the heat buildup.

My music files are a mix of 256 iTunes files, 320 AAC and MP3's and my rips are ALAC.  Tonight I'm just playing directly from my iPhone 5s.  Tomorrow I will be trying it through my ICON-IDO at work.

At this point I'm still debating a bit.  We are talking more than 3 times what I paid for my 380's, so I was hoping to be blown away.  Like I said, I'm going to give it some time for them to burn in and me to get used to them and then do some more comparisons.  I typically listen for 4-5 hours every day at work, so there is a lot to be said for comfort as well as actual sound quality.  I found myself taking the 380's off a few times today due to heat.  That is not the norm though, so perhaps it was just warmer in the office today.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #455 of 1,506
I tried the P7s today at Best Buy, but it wasn't hooked up properly and the sound was only coming clearly through one ear.  Obviously a hook up issue.  Right away though, the cups are shaped/sized in such a way as to hit my ears in probably the worst possible way.  So, with comfort gone, I kinda lost my appetite to try them once the connection is fixed.

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #456 of 1,506
They sound far better after some more burn in.  In fact, listening to them in comparison with my 380's now I wonder if something was wrong with my ears last night.  They sound nothing alike.  The 380's now sound very muddy and muffled to me.  The detail of the P7's is amazing.  I have had them on most of the day and they are very comfortable.  Now when I put the 380's on they feel like big, heavy, skull crushers.  VERY happy with my choice now.

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #457 of 1,506
  They sound far better after some more burn in.  In fact, listening to them in comparison with my 380's now I wonder if something was wrong with my ears last night.  They sound nothing alike.  The 380's now sound very muddy and muffled to me.  The detail of the P7's is amazing.  I have had them on most of the day and they are very comfortable.  Now when I put the 380's on they feel like big, heavy, skull crushers.  VERY happy with my choice now.

I also experienced the P7's SQ to improve significantly with a bit of burn in. I do really think that burn-in depends very much on the headphone though. For instance, the 7520 I'm using right now hasn't really changed much, if at all, in terms of SQ from the day I got it. Perhaps it's the type of material used or something that determines whether or not you need to burn it in. I dunno :)

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #458 of 1,506

I also experienced the P7's SQ to improve significantly with a bit of burn in. I do really think that burn-in depends very much on the headphone though. For instance, the 7520 I'm using right now hasn't really changed much, if at all, in terms of SQ from the day I got it. Perhaps it's the type of material used or something that determines whether or not you need to burn it in. I dunno :)

Good point

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #462 of 1,506
Hello everyone! I just registered for asking the pros a question but before I take from your wisdom I'd like to give you some amateur experiences I had with my p7.

Some months ago my last headphone broke. it was a sennheiser px200 which was pretty good for what it is but a little fragile. when I looked for a replacement I had a sony mdr-v55, a B&W P5, B&W C5, Sennheiser Momentum and Sony MDR-1R before coming home with the B&W P7.

The PX200 is a really nice headphone for the price point but it was the third of its kind I had because they easily tended to brake, at least when being used by me. At first I looked for something more stable and found the mdr-v55 after a very brief listening session. I remember it for being bassy and quite good at displaying voices. sadly it leaked sound like mad which is a no go when using public transport every day. as the cable was always a weak spot for the headphones I had I looked for something with an interchangeable cable.

After reading tests and spending about 2 weeks with everyday listening in electronic markets it came down to the Momentum. The Momentum over-ear was the only headphone I had listened to this point which stood out of the masses with its very warm and close voices. the sound was so so comfortable, it had a lot of bass but sadly it hurt after some time. when listening in the electronic markets I had them on for half an hour and everything was fine. with my own pair my right ear just touched the driver which was really irritating after a while. I tried it for a whole of 2 weeks but had to give up and give them back. I was really sad as they sounded great.

The time I was testing the Momentums at home there was a very good offer for the P5 and I couldn't resist testing them aswell. When the Momentums turned out to be not very comfortable I really hoped for the P5 to have a similar sound with better comfort. at this point I had already read the users opinions about those headphones which were mostly not very good. But nearly every magazine testing the P5 said those were really outstanding and really comfortable. My opinion is somewhere in between. They were okay and as far as I remember voices were displayed really good. but as soon as there was too much happening with different instruments, those headphones gave up and mashed everything together. the separation was not very good. It was not extremely annoying but the sound was nothing special, nothing you would be glad to pay a lot of money for. comfort was okay for me but honestly said I never wore them for longer periods. it was always an acoustic relief coming back to the Momentums.

So I gave back the Momentums and the P5 and was looking for something else. From some brief testing I knew and liked the MDR-1R but when I heard that there was an MDr-1RMK2 coming I wanted to wait and but this one. Everyone here will know it by now but the MDR-1R is the most comfortable can that ever touched my ears. Its sound was good but not spectacular. but it was good enough that I nearly bought it and would have been happy with it.

by this time I read about the P7. At first it didn't interest me because of my experience with the P7. but everyone trying it kept saying that it is totally different in sound. I really liked the materials and the idea of the P5 just not the sound. So I gave the P7 a chance when they became available about a month ago. when they first hit my ears I wasn't impressed. the headband was hard, the earpads could have been softer aswell. at this point I remembered the feel of the MDR-1R. for whatever reason I still payed 400 bucks just to be sure myself what the talk about this can was about.

coming home the first short listening was okay but not overwhelming. they were very bright sounding like nothing I have heard before. it first felt very harsh with a lot of very deep bass but nothing in between. I don't have a clue if burn in exists what it does or if everything is just in your mind but something worked. every day the sound became a little better and they were constantly "burning in" with music overnight. while I really liked the sound after a few days (with having days in between where I didn't like the sound at all) the comfort was an issue for me. the pressure around my ear was really high. keep in mind that I am an over ear virgin so this area is not used to pressure at all.
when hitting the two week mark (the point of no return for giving back the cans) I was really close to giving them back due to comfort. I am glad I didn't. Now the earpads feel softer, the pressure isn't as hard anymore and most times those are really comfortable and I can wear them for about three hours. The point where they start to hurt then is right on top of the head where the headband touches. this is okay, I can live with this after a longer period.

talking about the sound of the P7:
- clarity is really really good. the highs are really enjoyable without being harsh and disturbing most of the time. there is nothing comparable from the other cans I tested.
- voices do sound great but could be "closer" some times. does that make sense? due to the wider soundstage I feel voices are more away than with the Momentum for example. I guess, you can't have both.
- talking about soundstage. I never knew I would want a bigger one :) the only headphone with a little more soundstage was the mdr-1r but in overall sound it felt inferior to the momentum so I thought I don't need/like a big soundstage. having heard the P7 now I really appreciate somthing I would call a big soundstage. I never heard open headphones so please keep that illusion to me :wink:
- bass: I feel that the bass is a little exaggerated which is really fine for me. there is very rare occasions where the bass could be too much, I really enjoy it.
- mids: this part developed most during burn-in. mids didn't have enough body for me. what I want to say is that some songs or passages just sounded to bright. this is gone now. everything is fine in this area. as already said voices could be a little closer sometimes but that doesn't mean they lack detail. 

talking about the rest for the P7:
- leakage: I was expecting better here. when using with the iphone I can go up to about 80% of volume (which is quite loud but not earthshaking devestatingly loud) before people around me can hear the music. in a quiet room you can be about 2 meters away and still you have a chance guessing the song. female voices are better heard than men or acoustic stuff. in every day use people never asked me to turn the music down yet but maybe the heard it and didn't care.
- isolation: same as for the leakage. I expected more from such a big headphone. It will do but with the music off you can still talk to people without removing the headphones. while on the subway I can hear the sound of the closing doors while I have my music turned on at about 70%. it is not loud but I can hear it.
- transportation: the man's purse supplied for transport makes me feel a little like David Beckham :) it is okay but could be a tiny bit bigger for my taste.

don't keep me wrong, besides criticising a lot of points this is the best headphone I have heard so far. so far I didn't like bright headphones but now the highs are a joy and combined with the deep bass there is a great dynamic range in the sound. as much as I liked the Momentums, nearly everything is better in sound with these. as the P7 are more portable and more comfortable.

So much about my experience with these phones. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #463 of 1,506
and now, in a separate reply here is my question :wink:

I am currently using the P7 straight out of an iphone4 and sometimes an iMac. Is there a way to better the sound of the P7 with an affordable portable amp? I read about the E07k which might be okay but I am not sure if it does enough to justify the price and additional weight. will it do something to the P7 I can hear? Or is there another sub 200 euro portable amp that does even better?

I didn't find too many opinions and experiences about the P7 with portable amps. so please feel free to convince me dropping some more cash :D

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #464 of 1,506

I am currently using the P7 straight out of an iphone4 and sometimes an iMac. Is there a way to better the sound of the P7 with an affordable portable amp? I read about the E07k which might be okay but I am not sure if it does enough to justify the price and additional weight. will it do something to the P7 I can hear? Or is there another sub 200 euro portable amp that does even better?

I didn't find too many opinions and experiences about the P7 with portable amps. so please feel free to convince me dropping some more cash :D

I actually tested the P7 using the E07K for two full weeks (returned the P7 because of comfort issues). When using the E07k as a DAC connected to my laptop, the sound was warmish (using the Wolfson DAC in the E07K), which added to the already warm signature of the P7 and emphasized the bass slightly more. I actually thought it sounded better unamped from my iPod classic, with just the right amount of bass. And in this case it didn't matter if I used the E07k as an amp with LOD on the iPod, or just connected it directly to the iPod.

I feel like you won't really need an amp with the P7. A DAC is always nice though, if you don't already have one and in that respect the E07k is a perfectly fine DAC for the money (it set me back 90 euros).

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #465 of 1,506
  I still think the sound of P7 is a little bit dark...

Maybe if you're coming from a JVC FX40... those things are like adding a treble booster EQ to an already v-shaped earphone. But the treble of the P7 is definitely not south of neutral.

- voices do sound great but could be "closer" some times. does that make sense? due to the wider soundstage I feel voices are more away than with the Momentum for example. I guess, you can't have both.

Voices sounding more distant is the result of a deeper soundstage. Most consumer headphones have very little soundstage depth, even though some have decent width. The Sony 1R has angled drivers so the soundstage is very good, though I think it would be even better if they had more treble. I find the 1R quite dark, whereas the P7 has a lot more treble.

The P7 are meant to be used as a portable headphone straight out of an iPod, hence the remote/mic cable, so an amp isn't really necessary, but using an amp would improve imaging and separation between instruments. The Fiio E12 and C&C BH are quite good. The Fiio is slightly warm and the BH is slightly bright. The JDS C5 is apparently very good as well, though I haven't heard it myself. Personally I don't bother with portable amps as I don't feel like I can fully appreciate the improvement in sound quality in a noisy environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back