Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Oct 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #316 of 1,506
  Once you used the P7 you won't go back to P5 or P3. :frowning2:

P7 is much improved, but still not Hi-Fi.

Not the same sound...apples and oranges. And P7 might be a bit large for portable on-the-go use for some.

As far as it not being hi-fi....no, it's not an LCD-3 or Abyss nor would one expect it to be. It does have very good resolution and great fun factor....not to mention great clarity and impact in the bass range...often hard to pull off.

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #317 of 1,506
I will have to disagree about not being hifi. Personally it is the best most enjoyable
closed headphone I heard at any price. Until I heard the P7 I had already made my mind about getting a TH900. Not anymore. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #318 of 1,506
Actually, sometimes I find it too hi-fi..

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #322 of 1,506
I think serious, since "hi-fi" usually indicates some form of exaggeration in the FR....it used to mean "high fidelity" which is now called transparency, so "hi-fi" is usually used in a derogatory manner.

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #324 of 1,506
I had a road trip to a ribbon cutting for a maximum security prison today.

It was a perfect chance to use the P7 headphones on a road trip with five other people in a Chrysler van. It was a 3 hour and 20 minute trip. I've got to say that I found the P7 headphones to be very, very comfortable with enough external sound isolation to make the trip very enjoyable. I ran the headphones from an iPad2 and an iPhone5, and found that if I jacked the volume up just a tad more the road noise and passenger conversations were easy to ignore.

I did hear the background noise from people talking in the van, and I did hear some background noise from some incredibly heavy rain. But I can say right now it was easy to zone out, and the 6 hour roundtrip went quickly as I listened to my tunes. The only problem was the fact that the rural area we were traveling in kept me from getting online for over half the trip. No LTE or 4G in the boonies!

If you want total isolation then an IEM or a noise canceling headphones might be better for you. But for me the IEM's are not comfortable, and the noise canceling heap ones don't sound as good as the P7. That said I don't know if the P7 would be good enough on a an airplane when your sitting near the engines. On a plane I'd go IEM and deal with the discomfort. So, the P7s are not the headphone for all "seasons". But the comfort and sound make them worth it in all but really noisy environments IMHO. If someone can identify the "Holy Grail" of noise canceling headphones that are comfortable, and have SQ I'd like to by them. In the meantime I'll be switching out my headphones trying to meet the environmental and source demands.

The non-headphone lovers in the group thought the P7s looked fantastic. I suppose the earbud group thought I was just a bit weird. I brought my P5s along, but didn't try them. I suppose I should have, but I do believe the P7 sounds better and is more soundproof regarding outside noise than the P5s.

When I travel I'm usually the drive. So this was a very welcome road trip where I got chauffeured around for six hours and enjoy the music.

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #327 of 1,506
Something like the dt1350 or m500 would probably be considered by more people to be a more true and accurate hifi sound. That said I still prefer the p7 over those...

I had the DT 1350 and thought it had better noise reduction than the P7 if you got them seated right. But the on ear was not comfortable and the construction was not as nice as the P7. I sold them and had to do a warranty claim on the adjuster which was funky from day one. Also the headphone pads kept falling off. Even after they were service the pads were falling off. For the price they were disappointing.

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #328 of 1,506

Not the same sound...apples and oranges. And P7 might be a bit large for portable on-the-go use for some.

As far as it not being hi-fi....no, it's not an LCD-3 or Abyss nor would one expect it to be. It does have very good resolution and great fun factor....not to mention great clarity and impact in the bass range...often hard to pull off.

For on the go HiFi, I'd say the M500s, Momentums and P7s are the two best I've heard (with a preference for the P7s).

Oct 31, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #329 of 1,506
Just wondered if anybody here uses the P7's to listen in bed and if so how comfortable are they? I do a lot of my listenening with my head on the pillow and have found that some headphones are just too uncomfortable to use for any length of time. Had the P5's and like some people have mentioned they were very comfortable but not the best in sound quality so I sold them. My ciem's are good for bed time listenening but they are somewhat lacking in the bass region. I have a pair of DT1350's which I alternate between them and my ciem's but get the impression that the P7's might be a step up.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #330 of 1,506
  For on the go HiFi, I'd say the M500s, Momentums and P7s are the two best I've heard (with a preference for the P7s).

So the P7 is not too large for you outside? Looks classier than Beats, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back