Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Oct 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #288 of 1,506
  Yes, the P7 are quite a bit bigger than the P5. The P5 are the right combination of practical size, comfort and isolation which is rare. The P7 strike me more as headphones you'd use at home, on walks or commuting. For longer travels and flights something more compact might be more ideal, though the P7 would probably do just fine there as well. I've ended up using my P7 at home the majority of the time instead of my HD 800, and outside I'm using the Kef M500.

It's not the size. The P7 is actually fairly compact to be honest. I prefer that form factor to the "flat fold" of  things like the HK NC, Momentum, and the MDR-1RNC. But on planes they just don't provide enough isolation (and I get a good seal and fit). So if you want to get rid of engine noise, you have to use some form of ANC cans which introduces compromise to SQ. Having tried most of them, none are great in one way or another. You'll get comfort on some, but not as good SQ. At this point, this is why the HK is in my arsenal. It seems to balance most of that. The NC isn't as annoying as what's in the Sony.

Damn you, B&W. You couldn't make the isolation on the P7 better? :p

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #291 of 1,506
  No, they're awful for music. Blech.

The HK is the only thing I've found close to their NC ability, but neither is perfect that way, either.

I still say they're pretty good. Again, not great, but not bad. YMMV (as it appears it does).

Had QC15 for 2-3 months. Got it purely because the Noise Canceling feature but I might say it doesn't sound too bad but only because I hear/prefer sound from headphone like DT1350 and HD 25 1 ii. IMO QC15 just can't compete with those two headphones so I sell my QC15. If I didn't do the comparison probably I might fall into QC 15 though especially when use it for watching movies.

But after I get P7 I sold my DT1350 and HD 25 1 ii because I get too many.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #292 of 1,506
Does anyone know if the P5 cable is interchangeable with the P7? I've seen aftermarket options and wonder if they'll work.

I sent the P5 back long ago so no longer have one I can test...

They're not the same unfortunately. The P5 cable has a straight plug whereas the P7 cable has a curved plug. Both are 2.5mm but I think it would be difficult to bend the P5 cable that much in order to fit into the P7. The P7's cable also fits much tighter.

Left is P7, right is P5:

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #293 of 1,506
I've been using the P7's since Saturday for as many hours as I can. I've got to say that I'm listening to Shawn Colvin's "All Fall Down" while I'm updating my Apple devices to Mavericks and the latest version of iOS7 (trying to beat the re-boots as I write this).

Cold weather has set in where I live, and the spouse has the thermostat turned down. The leather ear cups are most welcome right now :wink:

I'm on the iPhone5 for music. I have got to say the the bass has come in nicely and I'm really enjoying the music even though I'm not amping the P7.

The comfort level seems to have increased the longer I wear the P7. I know these are not memory foam ear cups, but darn it either my ears are are morphing or the cups are adapting to me.

Got to go. Time to reboot under Mavericks!

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #294 of 1,506
I am quite hesitant to share those heretical thoughts but I have been listening to my new pair of P7 since yesterday and it so far the most enjoyable closed can I have owned or heard, and yes, that's include Fostex TH900. 
eek.gif

The new toy syndrome might fade but I am mighty impressed by those can. Not sure what kind of voodoo technology B&W is using but the magic is real.
I had few of those really mad thoughts where I would sell all my summit gear to only keep the P7 and the microstreamer. I would then quit Head-fi and be happy for ever after.
Few hours later I order a Bakoon HPA-21. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #295 of 1,506
  The new toy syndrome might fade but I am mighty impressed by those can. Not sure what kind of voodoo technology B&W is using but the magic is real.

This is why I was a bit sad to return them yesterday. If I used headphones outside of a plane environment, I wouldn't have done so but I only use 'em on the road. $400 is a bit much for something I'd use sparingly.

B&W really did a good job with these. I wasn't impressed at all with the P3 or P5 when I heard them. Seems like they learned.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #296 of 1,506
  I have owned the ES10 but that was a while ago. Those two have nothing in common. I was still a hardcore basshead and absolutely loved the ES10 but sadly comfort was far from ideal so sold them. The P7 sounds like a pretty accurate and detailed or more "hi-fi" can with good imaging while the ES10 hit hard and is coloured but is a lot of fun.

Did you try the ES10 with ESW11 lambskin ear pads? Comfort is greatly improved while also improving instrument separation and sound stage.

It seems like you are really enjoying the P7. I may have to get my hands on a pair to audition.

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #298 of 1,506
I have to correct my view on sensitivity from the new pair I heard a couple of weeks ago. I just listened to a burnt in set at Selfridges and my iphone was able to drive them more than adequately. Reservations removed.

Sorry if my comment put anyone off, and thanks to all those that didn't blast me for thinking I was going deaf. The first pair I heard were definitely quieter!

Will pick up a pair when next through duty free.

Regards

Sceptre

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #299 of 1,506
I have to correct my view on sensitivity from the new pair I heard a couple of weeks ago. I just listened to a burnt in set at Selfridges and my iphone was able to drive them more than adequately. Reservations removed.

Sorry if my comment put anyone off, and thanks to all those that didn't blast me for thinking I was going deaf. The first pair I heard were definitely quieter!

Will pick up a pair when next through duty free.

Regards

Sceptre

You realize that duty free is only for liquor, tobacco and perfume right?

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #300 of 1,506
Noob question... I am using P7 with iPod and Fiio E11 with Fiio LOD .. it gets too loud at volume position 2. Does this mean E11 is too powerful for P7? I like the bass with amping .. Will it damage the headphones? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Users who are viewing this thread

Back