Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Oct 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #241 of 1,506
  The problem for me is that they don't do a good job on a plane. You can still easily hear the noise of the engines.

No-one was talking about active noise cancelling cans so
cool.gif
and do not need to get worked up with moving goal posts

The P7 do isolate a very decent amount as the ear cups surround the enter ear structure (more so than both M500 and Momentum). Office noise is muted and conversation is not possible with them on. But what they are not is a complete seal from the outside world like IEM, as with the rest of this category. My post fully stands and it is hardly controversial that if you can achieve a good seal with IEM you are not hearing much of your surroundings.

Something like P7 and being able to still detect engine noise is good if you are a pedestrian. If however you are stationary inside a vehicle / train / plane where mechanical noise resonates within a sealed structure you will resort to turning up the volume to compensate, which is not ideal

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #242 of 1,506

No-one was talking about active noise cancelling cans so
cool.gif
and do not need to get worked up with moving goal posts

The P7 do isolate a very decent amount as the ear cups surround the enter ear structure (more so than both M500 and Momentum). Office noise is muted and conversation is not possible with them on. But what they are not is a complete seal from the outside world like IEM, as with the rest of this category. My post fully stands and it is hardly controversial that if you can achieve a good seal with IEM you are not hearing much of your surroundings.

Something like P7 and being able to still detect engine noise is good if you are a pedestrian. If however you are stationary inside a vehicle / train / plane where mechanical noise resonates within a sealed structure you will resort to turning up the volume to compensate, which is not ideal

The Momentum actually had better isolation than the P7 in my experience. Used those on a trip to/from California a few months ago which is a 6h flight each way. Both fit over my ears just fine. I also had a similar experiece going from Boston to NYC on Amtrak going between the 1RNC and the Momentum.

It has nothing to do with a seal; it's about comfort. I still have the MDR-7550, but I'd never take them on a trip. And I value my hearing too, so I won't crank volume.

Even the Sony MDR-1RNC without the active noise cancelling turned on does a better job than the P7 which is by far a more comfortable fit around my ears.

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #243 of 1,506
Got these plugged into my home rig at the moment... not every portable responds well to the V200 (the Momentum sounded bloated and the T5p sterile) but these do... some great 3D style imaging / placement, and punchy base.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #244 of 1,506
  While I find nothing wrong with the P7's carry case I think I'd like a hard case out of leather with a soft interior, foam or something chamois like. Ha, it would probably cost more than the P7 :wink:

the thing is these are the most expensive headphones I have ever had and have started carrying them everywhere.. so was afraid I would break them ... I hope the original carry case is good enough.. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #245 of 1,506
Ain't it cool how we can all listen to the headphone and hear different things? That's what makes this hobby so fun...

Yes! I hear The Fixx and Chvrches...what are you hearing?
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #246 of 1,506
the thing is these are the most expensive headphones I have ever had and have started carrying them everywhere.. so was afraid I would break them ... I hope the original carry case is good enough.. 

I haven't used the bag yet. But the underside where the headband stores is soft. The other three sides are rigid.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #247 of 1,506
Sounds like these are a winner, but I'm still not convinced about the looks. Anyone keen on posting a photo with them on? :wink:
I was set on some m100s to compete with my dt1350 for porta electronic tunes / more excitement. Sounds like these would do fine and be more well rounded. & isolaret better than m100. But I do prefer m100 looks and call me vain but I think that's important for portables.

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #248 of 1,506
I'm going to cut my week of comparing and call it now, the P7 has won me over! I really prefer the wider soundstage and deeper bass. After long sessions with the P7 the Momentum just sounded smaller and lacking the depth of the P7. Both are solid headphones, glad I got the chance to check them both out!

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #249 of 1,506
I'm going to cut my week of comparing and call it now, the P7 has won me over! I really prefer the wider soundstage and deeper bass. After long sessions with the P7 the Momentum just sounded smaller and lacking the depth of the P7. Both are solid headphones, glad I got the chance to check them both out!

I've been listening to my new P7 all weekend. I'm really enjoying these with my iPad2, iPhone 5 and desktop system. The desktop system enjoyment was a little surprising. It was nice to see that the P7 was good enough to benefit from a dedicated desktop DAC and amplifier. This may sound over the top but I wish someone made a longer, high quality cable for desktop use. Moon Audio are you listening?

I was looking for something that would replace my P5 and DT-1350 headphones and the P7 satisfies that need. I suppose I ought to give these more time. But, these are keepers.

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #250 of 1,506
  You ain't gonna find any portable full size competing against public transport. IEM all the way

Actually the Bose QC15s do compare to IEMs on a plane. Sound wise they're pretty good, but not as good as the P7s, Momentums, or M500s.

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #251 of 1,506

If I had one tiny criticism of the P7, it is that at times I find there to be a very slight coldness/stiffness characteristic to the sound.....a bit unfriendly if you will.....like if the P7 was a person, it would be a lawyer? Articulate, to the point, but not totally humane? But maybe the P7 is just telling the truth and not glossing over anything.

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #252 of 1,506
  Actually the Bose QC15s do compare to IEMs on a plane. Sound wise they're pretty good, but not as good as the P7s, Momentums, or M500s.

I've had good luck with the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 (the first gen - not the "b" version).  I usually trade off with a pair of IEMs on a plane to deal with comfort issues.

But the real answer is to travel with three headphones -- an over-ear NC, a passive IEM, and a good-sounding portable.  Use the NC on the plane, the IEMs briefly on the plane and while walking around, and the portable briefly while walking and in the hotel.  I suspect the P7 can serve as the good-sounding portable, yes?  

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #253 of 1,506

If I had one tiny criticism of the P7, it is that at times I find there to be a very slight coldness/stiffness characteristic to the sound.....a bit unfriendly if you will.....like if the P7 was a person, it would be a lawyer? Articulate, to the point, but not totally humane? But maybe the P7 is just telling the truth and not glossing over anything.

Haha, I like the analogy with a lawyer. I guess I need to be careful what I say to my P7 as well then...

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #254 of 1,506

Haha, I like the analogy with a lawyer. I guess I need to be careful what I say to my P7 as well then...

This is probably the best analogy I've read for the P7
darthsmile.gif

I had the opportunity to try these out for a couple of days, they are extremely comfortable and isolate very well but I definitely found them cold / dark sounding, although much improved on the P5s.  

I currently own the KEF M500s and have previously owned the Momentums, I wouldn't say the P7s are better sounding than these and personally don't think they justify the additional $80 + increase. 

Personally, I much prefer the M500's, they are definitely brighter than the P7s and more neutral than the Momentums. However, the P7s and Momentums isolate better, although the latter may cause comfort issues depending on the size of your ears. In fact, I would say P7s probably have the best design and comfort out of the three, but in the end they couldn't convince me to part company with my M500s.

I think all three headphones have their own characteristics, not necessarily better than each other, but it I think it comes down to personal taste.

I would strongly recommend a demo before purchasing these cans and also comparing to other cans, you might find they either suit you or that a cheaper pair (such as the M500s or Momentums) will suit your listening needs. Also, if you have a portable device (such as an iPod) you are probably best using an amp to ensure you get the most out these headphones.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #255 of 1,506
  I've had good luck with the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 (the first gen - not the "b" version).  I usually trade off with a pair of IEMs on a plane to deal with comfort issues.

But the real answer is to travel with three headphones -- an over-ear NC, a passive IEM, and a good-sounding portable.  Use the NC on the plane, the IEMs briefly on the plane and while walking around, and the portable briefly while walking and in the hotel.  I suspect the P7 can serve as the good-sounding portable, yes?

I need to add the P7 and thoughts on the NC to my my master thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/639292/master-noise-cancelling-shootout-sony-mdr-1rnc-vs-sony-mdr-nwnc200-vs-akg-k490nc-vs-bose-qc15-vs-sennheiser-momentum-vs-harman-kardon-nc

I hate, hate, hate the QC15. It sounds like poo musically but does have OK noise cancelling. To me, the HK NC is better all around than the QC15. All of them have some sort of tradeoff.

If B&W made an ANC version of the P7 that sounded as good as the regular P7, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I chuckled at the 3 headphone solution - it's kinda true. But takes up too much space :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back