Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Sep 7, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #1,442 of 1,506
The P9 has been launched at $899.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/819443/bowers-wilkins-new-flagship#post_12845390

https://www.amazon.com/Bowers-Wilkins-P9-Headphones-Brown/dp/B01KLO2HQ4/

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #1,443 of 1,506
  I´ve had these forever now, and I have used them ​extensively.

​Has the interior felt plate turned gross and icky for anyone? Using them for hours on end (not to mention during summer) has turned the interior into a sticky fly trap. I can´t for the life of me figure out what to do. I don´t even bother opening them because I´m not sure how to get all that gunk (sweat and whatever else) out. Even the magnets are discolored!

So uh, over 2 years after I bought these, having grown sick of how they had aged, I ended up realizing that the sticky stuff inside the headphones was glue. Which is bizarre, to think this kind of malfunction would happen in this expensive a device, but there you go: If your P7 turns sticky, get a warranty replacement. 

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #1,444 of 1,506
So uh, over 2 years after I bought these, having grown sick of how they had aged, I ended up realizing that the sticky stuff inside the headphones was glue. Which is bizarre, to think this kind of malfunction would happen in this expensive a device, but there you go: If your P7 turns sticky, get a warranty replacement. 

I just checked mine and there's signs of sticky glue coming trough onto the felt and foam.
Time to dig up the receipt, I think my p7 is about 5 months out of warranty now. Not happy about this, thanks for the heads up.

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #1,445 of 1,506
My warranty also expired some months ago, but they still offered me a replacement. 

I did however contact B&W P7 over a year ago about this very problem, I just didn't insist on an exchange because I had trouble believing glue was actually seeping through the felt pad (my ear pads are totally discolored and a bit deformed on the inside, not to mention sticky), and I've read NO complaints at all about this on the internet---I really searched everywhere! 

I love my headphones, but this hasn't given me confidence about long-term ownership. 

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #1,446 of 1,506
Good to know, I will try contacting b&w and see what they can do to help with this issue.
It's not the greatest thing that could happen to expensive headphones that you really like, hopefully these can be replaced as well.

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #1,447 of 1,506
I've had mine for over a /year before I sold them and never had a problem like that.
I'm in the EU though, could it be that it's just one batch somewhere?
I'm still interested in the P7 but the wireless version, might rplace my D7100 with it but that glue issue makes me concerned though.

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,449 of 1,506
Found out same issue with glue today on my P7.
Took off earpads and back side of each earpad was covered in sticky glue as well as inner sides of speaker housings. Tried to clean this mess with microfiber - no luck. Tried soap water on earpads - cleaned some of this glue but not all of it :frowning2: Noticed that back side of fabric on an earpad (which covers a speaker when an earpad is installed in place) is hydrophobic :)
Contacted B&W but I had bought my P7 more than 2 years ago... well... will see :)

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #1,450 of 1,506
I had the same problem with P5 (first version). I think it happens when they are used when it is hot, like summer vacation with high temperature but I'm not 100% sure. I have P7 now and if that will happen again I will never buy B&W headphones again.... I thought they have fixed that problem....

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #1,451 of 1,506
Wow!! I just got back my P7's from B&W after I sent it in because of the glue defect (keeping in mind, I was already out of warranty), and my jaw is kind of dragging the floor at what they've sent me back 
biggrin.gif

They've sent me a completely refurbished/new P7 with brand-spanking-new ear pads, and, for some reason! they also sent me new cables and another leatherette pouch. It's basically like I've bought a new one again. I hadn't sent in any accessories because they specified not to do so; all I expected was to get my headphones back. (

I'm really delighted by their service and I hope these new headphones stand up better than the old ones. 

(Oh, I also think they changed the design of the ear pads possibly???)

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #1,452 of 1,506
Well I've contacted the Australian distributor (as there's no b&w office in Australia. And have received very average news.

Unfortunately my p7's are 4 months out of warranty, I have contacted the store of purchase (JB hi-fi) and they have rejected my claim, I guess it was worth a try.

After speaking to the company that do the wholesaling in Australia, I have been told the best outcome is to send my mint p7's (apart from the sticky fly trap syndrome on the internals) in for a brand new replacement with 2 year warranty, for a half of full retail price, changeover.

As whether to do this, I'm not sure now, I have requested an update to wireless p7 for half price changeover, that may be worth the hassles.

I guess I feel let down now, I really enjoyed my p7's:cry:, and knowing the glue is going to slowly seep out of the dampening felt, and wreck the insides, has been a real bummer.

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #1,453 of 1,506
Well I've contacted the Australian distributor (as there's no b&w office in Australia. And have received very average news.

Unfortunately my p7's are 4 months out of warranty, I have contacted the store of purchase (JB hi-fi) and they have rejected my claim, I guess it was worth a try.

After speaking to the people that do the wholesaling in Australia, I have been told the best outcome is to send my mint p7's (apart from the sticky fly trap syndrome on the internals) in for a brand new replacement with 2 year warranty, for a half of full retail price, changeover.

As weather to do this, I'm not sure now, I have requested an update to wireless p7 for half price changeover, that may be worth the hassles.

I guess I feel a bit let down now, I really enjoyed my p7's:cry: and knowing the glue is going to slowly seep out of the dampening felt, and wreck the insides, has been a real bummer.

Man, that's too bad. I'm sure like everyone that's posted here, your P7 was probably seeping glue well inside its warranty period, so they should really just exchange it because it's such a star-sized defect from the assembly/manufacturing. 

I'm glad I got mine replaced, but when I originally contacted B&W I wanted them to tell me if the felt pad was just an aesthetic piece, because I was ready to remove it completely!---I was just sick of the gooey mess. 

Oh, and oddly enough, I'm pretty sure the last two pages of this thread contain the only reports of this problem for the P7. Weird!

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #1,454 of 1,506
Man, that's too bad. I'm sure like everyone that's posted here, your P7 was probably seeping glue well inside its warranty period, so they should really just exchange it because it's such a star-sized defect from the assembly/manufacturing. 

I'm glad I got mine replaced, but when I originally contacted B&W I wanted them to tell me if the felt pad was just an aesthetic piece, because I was ready to remove it completely!---I was just sick of the gooey mess. 

Oh, and oddly enough, I'm pretty sure the last two pages of this thread contain the only reports of this problem for the P7. Weird!

I agree, had I have looked earlier, I would have picked this fault up within the warranty period, I guess you win some, and you also have to lose some as well, unfortunately.

On a positive outlook to wireless p7's, should be handy, they can also be plugged in as well which will be cool.
(I don't think I'll keep them for a long time)
But yeah, all my confidence has been lost now for b&w (and the glues they have chosen), which I thought they would be more helpful with such a catastrophic failure. and the service department I contacted in Australia has no idea about this fault as well, as I have been notified today.

I should add, I am grateful I have a changeover option, I guess, as the p7's AU distributer's have no obligations at all, to my initial purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back