Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Dec 26, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #1,413 of 1,506
I recently got a pair of the p5 s2 and I'm v v happy with them. I'm now considering the p7. How do they compare? Is the p7 much better?

I think they're better.  My biggest issue with the P5 is you can get 5 different sound signatures out of them depending on where you place them on your ear.  The P7 has better bass than the P5.  

Earlier this year I said the P7 was the best sounding headphone around $400 dollars.  I do not believe this any longer.  

The HE 400 has fallen into this range, so has the HD 650 (if you're willing to do a bit of digging for a deal).  My current favorite headphone in this range is the Fostex TH-X00-- a Massdrop exclusive headphone-- not currently available, but you can request it the next time they crank out their next batch.  All of these headphones exceed the performance of the P7, in my opinion, of course.

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #1,414 of 1,506
I think they're better.  My biggest issue with the P5 is you can get 5 different sound signatures out of them depending on where you place them on your ear.  The P7 has better bass than the P5.  

Earlier this year I said the P7 was the best sounding headphone around $400 dollars.  I do not believe this any longer.  

The HE 400 has fallen into this range, so has the HD 650 (if you're willing to do a bit of digging for a deal).  My current favorite headphone in this range is the Fostex TH-X00-- a Massdrop exclusive headphone-- not currently available, but you can request it the next time they crank out their next batch.  All of these headphones exceed the performance of the P7, in my opinion, of course.

Thanks for your response. Those headphones do have great reputations but I'm after a closed can. I bit the bullet and ordered a P7 at $350 aud. I hope they're not fakes.

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #1,415 of 1,506
I recently got a pair of the p5 s2 and I'm v v happy with them. I'm now considering the p7. How do they compare? Is the p7 much better?

I found the p7 more V shaped sounding than the p5. I owned the p5 but sold them as i thought the bass lacked the impact i like and the top end was a bit too subdued for my tastes. I was considering getting the p7 but couldn't find them on sale anywhere so i ended up getting the momentum 2.0 which are tuned a bit different but i think are on par with the p7.

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #1,416 of 1,506
I ordered these through Verizon Wireless. If you are a customer of them and have enough reward points, you can get these for $280 (plus tax)!

Quote:
Thanks for your response. Those headphones do have great reputations but I'm after a closed can. I bit the bullet and ordered a P7 at $350 aud. I hope they're not fakes.

The Fostex's he mentioned are closed. I have them. According to people they do leak a bit of sound.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #1,417 of 1,506

Check out the HP50. It sounds better than the B&W P7 and it's cheaper too. It sounds more fuller and balanced than the P7.

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #1,419 of 1,506

I doubt you will be sorry...the P7's are a very well made, and very nice sounding headphone.  I also went from the P5 to the P7 and was not disappointed.

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #1,420 of 1,506
All,

I am considering getting these for listening at home and moderate travel.

I mainly use my Shure Se535's for travel but want to get a pair of over the ears.

Will use these with iphone6 , retina macbook, Schiit Modi/magni uber combo for my pc. Will these be good for both gaming and computer listening as well as travel and easy to drive when not at home?

Thanks!
freitz

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #1,421 of 1,506
  All,

I am considering getting these for listening at home and moderate travel.

I mainly use my Shure Se535's for travel but want to get a pair of over the ears.

Will use these with iphone6 , retina macbook, Schiit Modi/magni uber combo for my pc. Will these be good for both gaming and computer listening as well as travel and easy to drive when not at home?

Thanks!
freitz

Super easy to drive from a phone, tablet or computer.  

They still benefit from a small amp like the Pico Slim, or consider a Chord Mojo (after your wallet has cooled off).  

The P7 is my favorite portable (they fold up nicely-- though not exactly compact).  These used to be my favorite headphone at this price point.  That is no longer the case.  There are several models out there with better sound quality, most notably the stellar Fostex Massdrop TH-X00 (even less portable than the P7) and the HE-400 (open back- not good for airplanes or private listening).  There are many quality cans out there now under $500, it's a good time to be an enthusiast!

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #1,422 of 1,506

Super easy to drive from a phone, tablet or computer.  

They still benefit from a small amp like the Pico Slim, or consider a Chord Mojo (after your wallet has cooled off).  

The P7 is my favorite portable (they fold up nicely-- though not exactly compact).  These used to be my favorite headphone at this price point.  That is no longer the case.  There are several models out there with better sound quality, most notably the stellar Fostex Massdrop TH-X00 (even less portable than the P7) and the HE-400 (open back- not good for airplanes or private listening).  There are many quality cans out there now under $500, it's a good time to be an enthusiast!

How do they compare to the MH40's?

May 9, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #1,424 of 1,506
Hi ,

I have P7 for on year now. Mostly listing at work from iPhone.

Question: Does anyone tired them with separate amp? In spec it is written that max power is 50mW. Isn't it a bit too low for separate headphone amp? I thinking in terms of burning the drivers.

Regards

May 10, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #1,425 of 1,506
  Hi ,

I have P7 for on year now. Mostly listing at work from iPhone.

Question: Does anyone tired them with separate amp? In spec it is written that max power is 50mW. Isn't it a bit too low for separate headphone amp? I thinking in terms of burning the drivers.

Regards

I've driven my P7 with both a Pico Slim and Chord Hugo with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back