Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Mar 9, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #1,321 of 1,506
^ If you use an equaliser, and bring the 2k band down about 3 to 4db and boost the mids at about 250hz the same, the p7 phones are then spot on in my opinion.

With that level of equalisation you're effectively making them into different phones. Might as well start from the beginning with a different phone altogether.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #1,322 of 1,506
With that level of equalisation you're effectively making them into different phones. Might as well start from the beginning with a different phone altogether.

Don't mind the their signature while using high resolution audio with no eq, so, it seems to depend on the style and type of music, but yeah some times its nice to drop that 2k band down.

And I do enjoy attempting to correct poorly mastered album's on any iem/headphone, with an eq.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #1,326 of 1,506
I'm actually considering these after some experience with the x2. I'm looking for maybe a closed can that gives the x2 a run for its money while maintaining the semblance of the same sound signature. The only gripe I have with the x2 is that I want just a little more zing in the treble. Not a lot (tried Soundmagic HP200 and it was too much, plus I think mids were weird).
A few questions for those who can find measurements or who have actually played with both the x2 and the P7:
1. The x2's inner earcup size is great; by comparison, I tried the H6 yesterday and it felt cramped. is the P8 going to cramp? The h6 didn't pinch but I worry that a smushed ear is going to screw with sound retrieval.
2. How yielding are the earpads? Am I going to feel part of my ear brushing the inner part of the driver? The HD598s I've tried very very occasionally did this because their foam has a lot of give; the x2 is brilliant for this, even if I push on them I can only barely feel just the faintest brush of material on my ear. I don't want the P7 to be fluttering against my ear.
3. Is the soundstage between x2 and P7 at least comparable? I know, I know, open vs. closed, but I'd still like to know.
I had a chance to try the PSB M4U1 and H6 yesterday. I liked them both for different reasons but I had little nitpicks with both. The M4U1 sounded strange to my ear, speaker; maybe I'd get used to that. The h6 was tight on my ear, very clear and resolving, but I don't know if it can rumble.
I'm not a basshead, but for tracks like Enter Sandman or More Human Than Human, I want to feel it a bit. The 598s didn't do it, the x2s do it with a little room to spare. I imagine the p7s will too, but if they do it while pounding your ears with treble to the point where certain sounds become flinch-worthy, I dunno.

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,327 of 1,506
Soundstage of the p7 is great but x2 is more spacious. P7 does image very well regardless of closed or open phones. X2 is better balanced with tighter bass and lusher mids. P7 has more bass and a very articulate treble with a higher resolution and detail. The treble is also very clean. The treble in the p7 is to die. I feel like the p7 will complement the x2

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #1,328 of 1,506
Soundstage of the p7 is great but x2 is more spacious. P7 does image very well regardless of closed or open phones. X2 is better balanced with tighter bass and lusher mids. P7 has more bass and a very articulate treble with a higher resolution and detail. The treble is also very clean. The treble in the p7 is to die. I feel like the p7 will complement the x2

+1... The ear cups of the P7s are actually deeper than the X2s, but you sacrifice a bit of width with the P7s. Also any contact with the inner opening will be more pronounced and noticable with the P7s since they are fairly firm and not memory foam. Comfort wise, I also typically find the need to readjust the placement of the headband and shift it forward after an hour or so due to mild discomfort on the top of my head.

Just my personal experiences with the P7s from a comfort standpoint, but nothing that would change my positive experience with them.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #1,329 of 1,506
Hmm...recessed mids make me wary.
I feel that the closest set of cans I've tried to what you describe, sound-wise, are the Soundmagic HP200s. Could someone either with access to graphs or with experience on both of these cans kind of give me a comparison on:
1. Bass response
2. Recession of mids (HP200 makes it seem like the singer is both nasal and right in your face, but flattish)
3. Treble (HP200 frankly makes my ears ring at high volumes, and certain sounds make me flinch; it's off and on brilliant, but I think it's right at the edge of my tolerance

...because if the P7 gives a similar sound, it's going to be a bad $400 invesement no matter how pretty it is nor how thunderous it can be down low.
Please bear with me. I'm not forming any impressions yet. I'm just being cautious...perhaps too cautious.

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,330 of 1,506
The P7 has a subtle v response. The mids are not super recessed, just a little. Likewise the treble is not particularly elevated. I'm pretty treble sensitive and I dont have a problem with it. YMMV.

Haven't heard the HP200. IMO the P7 is excellent, though it's not the best you can get for $400. Its overall SQ is on the level of the classic mid-fi cans like the Q701, DT990, HD600, etc. I'd actually put it a bit above them in overall refinement and resolution. The P7 falls short of the best $400 cans out there like the HE-400i or a used ZMF Vibro.

I bought the P7 because IMO it stands way above the other closed portable headphones. You should go to a best buy magnolia and try it.

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,331 of 1,506
I live in Canada, but I've found a store called BayBloor Radio which has them and will ship them. I can test them at home for at least a couple of days, and they have a return policy that lets me send 'em back for a full refund less shipping. So if I don't like them, I still lose a little money, but it's really my only option. Am thinking of doing this for the PSB M4U2, which they also offer, since their price is $299 and I see the same price for the PSB M4U1 elsewhere without a return policy. They also offer the HP50 from Nad for twenty bucks cheaper, so if I don't like the P7 I may try that route instead.

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,332 of 1,506
I live in Canada, but I've found a store called BayBloor Radio which has them and will ship them. I can test them at home for at least a couple of days, and they have a return policy that lets me send 'em back for a full refund less shipping. So if I don't like them, I still lose a little money, but it's really my only option. Am thinking of doing this for the PSB M4U2, which they also offer, since their price is $299 and I see the same price for the PSB M4U1 elsewhere without a return policy. They also offer the HP50 from Nad for twenty bucks cheaper, so if I don't like the P7 I may try that route instead.

At first I found them bass heavy, but its the pressure of the clamping. It was suggested on here leaving wrapped around the outer box for a few hours and that sorted it.

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #1,333 of 1,506
The P7 has a subtle v response. The mids are not super recessed, just a little. Likewise the treble is not particularly elevated. I'm pretty treble sensitive and I dont have a problem with it. YMMV.

Haven't heard the HP200. IMO the P7 is excellent, though it's not the best you can get for $400. Its overall SQ is on the level of the classic mid-fi cans like the Q701, DT990, HD600, etc. I'd actually put it a bit above them in overall refinement and resolution. The P7 falls short of the best $400 cans out there like the HE-400i or a used ZMF Vibro.

I bought the P7 because IMO it stands way above the other closed portable headphones. You should go to a best buy magnolia and try it.

Personally I wouldn't want to suggest any similarity in the SQ of the Q701 and the P7. To my ears the former has very little bass. I wouldn't lump the HD600 and the P7 together either. The former's lack of energy sends me to sleep.

Though I guess it depends what music you listen to.

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,334 of 1,506
Personally I wouldn't want to suggest any similarity in the SQ of the Q701 and the P7. To my ears the former has very little bass. I wouldn't lump the HD600 and the P7 together either. The former's lack of energy sends me to sleep.

Though I guess it depends what music you listen to.

I dont literally mean that these headphones sound alike. That would be a bizarre thing to say. I meant that the overall level of quality is similar (overall is the key word--all of these headphones have different levels of quality in specific areas, as you mentioned).

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #1,335 of 1,506
Thanks to all who have posted their impressions and comparisons.  I just ordered a pair of B&W P7s to use with my PONO player.  Can't wait to get them!  I ordered them through my Verizon Smart Rewards points that got me a 30% discount.  Out the door $293.45 after tax!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back