Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Nov 24, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #1,231 of 1,506
Hi Canadan,

I've been using them for over a year and never had a problem with the straight jack, though I would say that since these are particularly pretty headphones I tend to treat them quite carefully!

I did see a post or two further back in this thread about the silver collar next to the jack that had come loose for a couple of people. As far as I can remember this didn't affect the performance and just required a dab of glue to reattach.

Hope you enjoy the headphones and let us know how you get on with them!

Regards

Jeb

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #1,233 of 1,506
I have owned the P7s for about a month now and absolutely love them.
I am starting to hear some odd distortion on the right side after every 4 or 5 songs.
It is weird because on some songs, there seems to be nothing wrong.
I am concerned, especially with the price tag of these things.

Is it something that will be adjusted the more I use them or should I look for a replacement?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #1,234 of 1,506
Hi there Zimmy, 

While I haven't experienced this personally, if you take a look at Page 69 of this thread another P7 user also had a problem with distortion, again on the right-hand side only. 

Take a look at that page - looks like he resolved it by calling B&W and they were excellent in getting a replacement to him very quickly.

Regards

Jeb

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #1,235 of 1,506
Well, payday came early. Have these headphones now and am just going through my iTunes library at the moment.

First thing I notice is that they are definitely a premium quality, everything about them screams quality! Soundwise they've definitely got a different sound than my Shure IEM's and they definitely don't block out noise as well, but I expected that.

I really don't know enough about headphones to give a critical review but so far I'm really digging them and I expect them to get better after more listening.

EDIT: so even though I was really enjoying these headphones it turns out they were faulty! The right ear was ever so slightly weaker than the left resulting in all my music sounding slightly panned. Confirmed with staff in the store where I purchase them and now have a new set that are fully functional.

They sound even better.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #1,236 of 1,506
  Hi there Zimmy, 

While I haven't experienced this personally, if you take a look at Page 69 of this thread another P7 user also had a problem with distortion, again on the right-hand side only. 

Take a look at that page - looks like he resolved it by calling B&W and they were excellent in getting a replacement to him very quickly.

Regards

Jeb

Thanks, I seemed to just miss my return/replace window at Amazon.  I wrote them a support email, I will see where I get from there.
Otherwise, I will go B&W direct route.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #1,237 of 1,506
I'm still really enjoying these headphones, I've had them for long enough now that they're extremely comfortable and still sound great. Used to feel like the middbass was a bit emphasised but that's gone completely. Really happy with my purchase!

Glad to hear you're enjoying them too canadan and good luck with the support ticket zimmy, I've had luck with having returns honored even when a little out of the return window so I hope it all works out for you too.

Just as a general question to all the people that have or have had these headphones - is it possible to get some graphite powder in the joints right in the headphone cups to prevent squeaking? I couldn't find any way to open them up and my left earcup has started to get a bit grippy when rotating.

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #1,238 of 1,506
I used a very light oil, the same oil used on spray guns (graphite can short circuit equipment and spreads fast) when I first got them it was needed in the smallest space where the metal twists and joins,
6 months in its still fine just use a very small amount of oil and wipe excess.

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,239 of 1,506
I used a very light oil, the same oil used on spray guns (graphite can short circuit equipment and spreads fast) when I first got them it was needed in the smallest space where the metal twists and joins,
6 months in its still fine just use a very small amount of oil and wipe excess.

Okay, I'll see what sort of oils I have then. I've used graphite previously on headphones I could open up as it feels like it keeps joints smoother for longer and I could clean up excess more cleanly and easily but I did have to be sure that it wouldn't short out any of the electronics.

Thanks for the help!

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #1,240 of 1,506
Last Monday I bought a pair of brand new P7s. I'm concerned that the swivelling mechanism touches/rubbs against the aluminum back of the earcups as it slides quite close (less than a milimeter apart) to it. Has anyone noticed a loosening of the mechanism? Or does it stay like that and I shouldn't be worried?

Many thanks!

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #1,241 of 1,506
I've not noticed any loosening/ rubbing and i've been using them and folding them up for the last year.  

You would like to think the mechanism would have been well stress-tested by B&W.  

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it -  I have a feeling that these will age gracefully.

Regards

Jeb.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #1,242 of 1,506
Thank you so much for your helpful post! I'm feeling a bit more relieved!

Do your P7s have such a small gap between the back of the earcup and the stainless steel linkage?

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #1,243 of 1,506
When you mentioned it first I had a look and why yes they do - not something I'd noticed before.  As you say, perhaps a shade less than 1mm.   Yep, wow Its close!  Quite beautiful really how the metal curves around the ear cup.. 

As I said though, no sign of any movement or loosening so far.  

Since you got them brand new I presume you've got the B&W 2 year warranty so I would hope they would honour that in the event of a defect, especially on their flagship headphones. 

Hope you enjoy them, they're a really nice headphone. 

Regards

Jeb.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #1,244 of 1,506
Thank you once more! It's good to know this is normal on the P7s.

Yes, I bought them on an authorized dealer, so I have the full 2 year warranty. I guess I was worrying for nothing, and as I really baby my headphones (and other stuff as well), they should stand the test of time. :)

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #1,245 of 1,506
Hi KLJ,

Listen to mostly Flacs, but also some hires and DSD (Yes albums). Use iBasso DX90 and Fiio X5. Varied music, recently, Rush, Crowded House, Gary Moore, latest Foo Fighters, Dream Theatre, Bruckner, Dr Feelgood, latest Floyd.

How does the P7 pair with your DX90?  Do you feel a need for further amplification?  What gain setting are you using with the P7?  Really interested to pick up either the P5 S2 or the P7's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back